scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the first rule of warning points is that you dont talk about warning points

now you get another for your troubles.

in all seriousness I think this is covered in the site rules:
Warning System Rundown:
  • Warnings can be reviewed by clicking on the percentage of warnings under the members username within a topic or in their profile. Other members outside of the forum staff CANNOT see your warn level.
  • When a member is warned by staff, staff have the option of disabling their ability to post for a few hours/days, suspending the member for a few hours/days or enforcing a staff preview of all their new posts for a few hours/day.
  • When a member has been warned by staff, the member will also receive a personal message from that staff member explaining why they were warned. Members may reply to this PM to explain their actions, ask a question or if they think they were warned in error; they may say so.
  • Warnings do not automatically decrease. Staff have the ability to decrease warning levels if a member makes a positive impression that they are trying to improve themselves. Otherwise, the warning will be in place for 6 months to a year.
  • Once the number of active warnings reaches 10 (100%), the member is banned from the GBAtemp Forums.
  • After being suspended or banned anyone caught sneaking back onto the forum under an alias or "suspension/ban evading" will be banned.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of them don't expire, but as long as you don't keep doing things that will give you points, getting banned isn't really a problem. The only people who get banned are real nuisances or people who caused disturbances to GBAtemp.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scarlet pretty much hits the nail on the head.

But I'll throw even a little more nuance on it. What happens next may surprise you.

Can they be removed? Yes, we have the ability to remove/delete them.

Will they be removed? Not usually. We generally opt instead to issue another warning, except with a negative value, to negate some number of warning points that you have. If we remove them outright we lose record of what the more problematic individuals have done to get themselves in that position. Issuing a warn with a negative value preserves that history.

When will they be removed/negated/whatever? Today. Tomorrow. Next week. Five days ago. When Mercury is in gatorade. When I wake up feeling well rested for once. Maybe never. Best way is to just be on good behavior, don't cause problems, and don't ask for them to be removed (I'm not saying that's what you did here :) ) We'll do what needs to be done when the time is appropriate and when we notice.

Worth mentioning that just having a warning point doesn't automatically put you on anyone's shitlist. People get warned all the time. Vast majority of the time it's just our way of saying "hey, cut the crap. We mean it." and that's that. If you're finding a way to get warning points every other week, you're going to be a bigger blip on the radar.

I have 5 points.
Am I winning?

Yes

Last edited by Sicklyboy,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
  • Warnings do not automatically decrease. Staff have the ability to decrease warning levels if a member makes a positive impression that they are trying to improve themselves. Otherwise, the warning will be in place for 6 months to a year.
I think it's worth mentioning that mods do have the ability to give you a warning point that expires after a set amount of time, but they don't have to.
Here's a warning I've gotten in the past that had an expiry date on it:

upload_2021-7-19_17-9-33.png

upload_2021-7-19_17-10-14.png

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
  • When a member has been warned by staff, the member will also receive a personal message from that staff member explaining why they were warned. Members may reply to this PM to explain their actions, ask a question or if they think they were warned in error; they may say so.
I just received a warning but no PM was sent to me to explain why.
Also, since I have a clear conscience and I want it to be plain and visible to all what I wrote and the injustice suffered, see for yourself if you find something offensive in what I wrote here:
https://gbatemp.net/members/flame.130770/
Maybe it's a trifle, but I can't remain silent in the face of injustice and abuse of power, even in the smallest things.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
  • Sad
Reactions: JuanMena

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just received a warning but no PM was sent to me to explain why.
Also, since I have a clear conscience and I want it to be plain and visible to all what I wrote and the injustice suffered, see for yourself if you find something offensive in what I wrote here:
https://gbatemp.net/members/flame.130770/
Maybe it's a trifle, but I can't remain silent in the face of injustice and abuse of power, even in the smallest things.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. don't warning points expire after so long?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
After a year or so of good behaviour
The question is not how long they last.... it is instead that there was no reason to give it to me.
Did anyone bother to read what I wrote? Is it possible that none of you are surprised? Even though it's a trifle, it's unbelievable and absurd. It is clearly a spite, a gesture of personal dislike.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question is not how long they last.... it is instead that there was no reason to give it to me.
Did anyone bother to read what I wrote? Is it possible that none of you are surprised? Even though it's a trifle, it's unbelievable and absurd. It is clearly a spite, a gesture of personal dislike.
Calm down I was answering @godreborn's question when he asked about warnings explaining.

Right or wrong you ain't gonna win a battle against the site staff if anything you are just going to get another warning for questioning why you got the first warning.

• Wow
Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche