Homebrew Warning for everyone who has Unlaunch: DO NOT use the "uninstall" feature.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Final Update: This was an issue with the RSA checks and keys. This was NoCash's comment:
"Unlaunch does disable RSA checks. Without Unlaunch you will need to have the RSA keys, else you'll get the "Error: 2-2435-8325" message upon boot. You'll need the DSi BIOS roms in the No$GBA folder."
It's confirmed that Unlaunch will be uninstalled successfully on a DSi.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

(Outdated)
So it was yesterday when for fun, I hooked up my NAND dump to No$GBA 2.9a and I had some fun with it. As a test (and because there's no sound in the menu), I wanted to take a look at what happens if you delete Unlaunch. I thought it would just recover the regular menu, but no.

Instead, it fully bricked with all the SDNAND patches deleted.
Error (DSiBrick).png

This is a screenshot of what you see. Discord user @edo9300 did some research and it said it means "invalid firmware". He told me to compare the fixed NAND with the bricked NAND. It took me a while, but this is where the issue lies:

NAND:\title\00030017\484e4150\content\title.tmd
differ.png

484e4150
is the System Menu (for Europe) and a *.tmd is required for the firmware. Not only is this a warning to everyone who hasn't done this yet, but also a bug report to No-Cash which a patch has to come out soon for.

In short: Do not use the uninstall feature, all what can bring it back is a hardmod.

Last edited by MaxiBash,
D

Deleted User

It looks like there is an extra line of code remaining, that is trying to be loaded but essentially fails to do so

Reactions: MaxiBash

Girtana1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if you're a better programmer/hacker than nocash feel free to release your own coldboot DSi exploit, and if you're not you don't need to attack them when something doesn't work :)
I didn't attack nocash at all, I was just sarcastically thanking him for something with issues, I appreciate the work he does but when there's things that don't work then they don't work, can't ignore it but I'm not going to seriously praise it either (that'd just be kinda dumb lol)

Bluesod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it would uninstall successfully on a Physical DSi?
I want to know so i don't accidentally brick my DSi.

Last edited by Bluesod,

nocash123

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I've recorded it from my emulator, but again, No$GBA forgets to add back the RSA keys.
Why are you saying such a thing? You didn't have had the bios file with the rsa keys before installing unlaunch, no$gba can't possibly "add back" those keys if you did never had them.
Your setup didn't work before installing unlaunch, and that's why it can't possiby work after uninstalling unlaunch.

Also - you seem to have edited the first post in this thread - but it would have been nice if you would have mentioned that in a later post. There appear to be lots of people not being aware of that edit. Half of that people are now on a mission telling around that uninstalling doesn't work. The other half is telling around that they are utterly surprised about uninstalling having worked for them without problems.

SmashBoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Final Update: This was an issue with the RSA checks and keys. This was NoCash's comment:
"Unlaunch does disable RSA checks. Without Unlaunch you will need to have the RSA keys, else you'll get the "Error: 2-2435-8325" message upon boot. You'll need the DSi BIOS roms in the No$GBA folder."
It's confirmed that Unlaunch will be uninstalled successfully on a DSi.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

(Outdated)
So it was yesterday when for fun, I hooked up my NAND dump to No$GBA 2.9a and I had some fun with it. As a test (and because there's no sound in the menu), I wanted to take a look at what happens if you delete Unlaunch. I thought it would just recover the regular menu, but no.

Instead, it fully bricked with all the SDNAND patches deleted.
View attachment 145685

This is a screenshot of what you see. Discord user @edo9300 did some research and it said it means "invalid firmware". He told me to compare the fixed NAND with the bricked NAND. It took me a while, but this is where the issue lies:

NAND:\title\00030017\484e4150\content\title.tmd
View attachment 145688

484e4150 is the System Menu (for Europe) and a *.tmd is required for the firmware. Not only is this a warning to everyone who hasn't done this yet, but also a bug report to No-Cash which a patch has to come out soon for.

In short: Do not use the uninstall feature, all what can bring it back is a hardmod.

Hello! I've recently installed and uninstalled Unlaunch and frankly I was scared shitless. It was my childhood console with so many memories I couldn't bare to lose all of that. But I decided to take a leap of faith. When you load your UNLAUNCH.nds file (which is the file you had to install it in the first place) go down to the Uninstall option at the bottom and confirm it! I had no problem using it and I have the latest version installed at this time (I think its 1.9).

I say go ahead if you haven't really messed around too much with the files, I did a little bit but had no problem at all with the uninstallation. I haven't had the chance to test it a lot but I think it should be fine. The chance of it bricking should be theoretically speaking should be very low. But completely up to you. I hope this helped with your conclusion and hop you have a good rest of your day :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn