Hacking WARNING!!!! CIA LIMIT CONFIRMED ON EMUNAND!!!!

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just came across this this morning and it's something the whole community should know.

While I do not know the EXACT number, I have found out that there is indeed a limit to how many titles can be installed on either the O3DS OR the N3DS.

I found some Genesis injects off another site and decided to install them to my N3DS.

When I went to the Home menu to organize and then to try the new Smash DLC, I noticed that a lot of my CIA games have disappeared.

Rebooted, updated to 3.4.1(even though it's more of an O3DS update anyway), and the games were still missing.

Searched for answers and a user here suggested there might be a limit of 333 as far as installable titles.

So, I deleted the Genesis injects and a few other games that I didn't really play, got kicked back to SysNAND, went BACK into Gateway, and low and behold, the missing games were back as gift wrapped packages.

I unwrapped them and put them back in their proper places and turned the system off.

Rebooted back to Gateway, played one of the games involved in that whole mess, and my save data was still there(thank GOD as I have 83 stickers in Disney's Magical World and all of the eShop and QR code DLC). So, the game isn't GONE per say, the icon just disappears if you have too many titles installed.

I have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD and a lot of the games on there are NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear injects, so I was definitely at that limit.

Hopefully, someone can figure out how to bypass that and make it so that you can have MORE titles on the ticket, especially since the menu is clean on mine since I organize into folders.

But, I'm here to PERSONALLY confirm that there IS a limit on how many CIA's you can install and that will show up on the Home menu whether in a folder or not. Also, since RXTools and Pasta's EmuNAND is based on Gateway's, we should definitely have those users look into it as well as I read a LOT of people's games disappearing from those firmwares.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good NES and GB/GBC emulator with save states that I can use on Gateway to clear some of these now seemingly precious slots?

Last edited by skydancer93,

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
333 is a reasonable number too.

Usually. But with certain sites figuring out and coming out with injects for NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, and now Genesis, that number needs to be raised significantly as the Virtual Console emulators seem to be the best options right now for those.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
so just to make sure this is a limit on installs at the same time, and not a limit on installs? if so i can't really be bothered about this as 333 games is way more than i'l ever personally use. maybe someone will think of a way to bundle games? that seems like the simplest solution but i'm only a layman so.

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so just to make sure this is a limit on installs at the same time, and not a limit on installs? if so i can't really be bothered about this as 333 games is way more than i'l ever personally use. maybe someone will think of a way to bundle games? that seems like the simplest solution but i'm only a layman so.

You can install as many games as you want, but only a certain limit will be shown at the same time. The ones that disappear are random it seems as the new installs were shown, but a lot of games from my Retail Misc. folder were missing after that.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is always a limit when it comes to hardware & software. There is only so much memory the systems have, so much space. Cool you found the limit, but sucks you didn't bother to actually count the number so we had an actual number. Doesn't matter though, no one needs that many titles on their systems at one time.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hasn't this limit been known for quite a while? Perhaps we should make a mention of it in at the top of our various tutorials on CFWs and Emunand.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The limit of shown icons being around 300 items was know for a time, even Nintendo warns about it in the instructions book.

Hello,

Very interesting,
Stupid question, your SD card is it full?
It could be relatively empty but with 300+ games if you download and install VC injection bundles.
Problem is that when you do hit this limit officially (using eShop downloads) the eShop interface will complain that there's no space in the SD while the actual problem is that you've hit the shown icon cap.

The same problem occurs on PS Vita but at least the console will properly advice you to uninstall some apps/games so when the console restarts it'll load all the icons. Also you can uninstall directly from home menu on vita if you desire to uninstall anything that's properly shown on home menu, on 3DS you have to be at a specific settings screen looking at a grid of little icons and text.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Usually. But with certain sites figuring out and coming out with injects for NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, and now Genesis, that number needs to be raised significantly as the Virtual Console emulators seem to be the best options right now for those.

Nintendo needs to raise the limit so those who pirate can benefit?...........

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a few threads on the topic. Solutions are:

Folders
Launch CIA from a file manager like Big Blue Menu or FBI.

Reactions: Margen67

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried create a directory?
Maybe the limit is 333 icons... so 333 directories, not 333 CIAs. ... is to test...

There are a few threads on the topic. Solutions are:

Folders
Launch CIA from a file manager like Big Blue Menu or FBI.

If you read the first post, you will see that I have ALL of my CIA's in directories. I don't like clutter. Launching a CIA from Big Blue Menu of FBI won't help as it won't tell you what's what. It only gives you the game code.

I guess it's impossible to install 333 CIAs..I installed between 10 CIAs and they are taking so much time to finish them. LOL

Most of them are NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear VC injects. They don't take up much space at all, so they install VERY quick. They only average between 100-300 blocks(so around 22MB-50MB). Plus, we're talking about installing over time.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
300 games wut? Thats crazy, even i dont like to play many old console games. Do you really play them or is it some kind of a collection?
Not sure if your problem is important or if it can be fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, no