[Warning] Bug in 2.3b with virtual console causes user to leave emuNAND/gateway mode

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ILOVEPIE, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ILOVEPIE
    OP

ILOVEPIE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    Do not press select during the black screen before the nintendo 3ds logo when launching virtual console games, this will cause the gateway rom-select menu to come up and when you exit the gateway menu it will cause an error with the virtual console. This error results in the virtual console saying that the game could not be loaded as the cartridge was removed and asks you to press home, if you press home it brings you back to the sysNAND home menu NOT the emuNAND/gateway mode home menu.

Please be aware of this so you do not accidentally update your sysNAND.

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    tbh its kinda normal,as long as everyone has their homescreen set up-differently between sysnand and emunand you will never make a mistake

also if you where trying to do the screen size thing, wait till your on the 3DS logo screen before you press the buttons

dontay0100 likes this.
  3. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah, this has been reported before, not a problem, hopefully your sysnand and emunand are different enough.
    if you DON'T want this to happen, press home and open the camera app (for example), exiting the game.
    then when you exit the camera app, you will still be in emunand, right?

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i think he means if you try to do the button combo to start the VC games with the small screen size, you need to start the game and hold select.....but if you press select too soon, it will bring up the gateway menu before it loads the game......which when you close gives you a "cart removed" error and resets the console.....its just normal error handling like if you pulled the cart out as the game is booting, you just have to wait till your on the 3DS logo screen before you hold the buttons and it will work fine

cearp likes this.
  5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    oh embarrassing, one of the few rare times i don't read the op properly... :)

6. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    This is good information for those people that don't yet have a way to visually differentiate between sys and emuNAND. But also a lesson on how much easier it'd make it for someone to set it up. It can prevent accidental updates, which would render your Gateway useless for the foreseeable future.

I have a folder titled "sysNAND" on my sysNAND, and a folder titled "emuNAND" on my emuNAND. I know when I'm on sysNAND because I'll see a folder with a big S on it in my menu, and a big E on it when I'm on my emuNAND's menu.

7. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    Just hold Start instead of Select and the problem is solved

cearp and octopus like this.
  8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i personally have the icons at the biggest setting in system nand, with the settings icon as the first icon (for easy access to load the exploit)
    and my emunand has the smallest icons, plus miiverse etc etc...
    i personally think it's a nicer way than having 3 folders take up space :)

9. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    This is the best method of ensuring you don't accidentally update your system! Just replace "MT Card" with "Gateway" in the explanation.

Queno138 likes this.
  10. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    sure, it's one way :) another is just pressing select and seeing if the gateway menu comes up.
    i think i remember you from the cyclo ds forums...? if so, hi

11. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Are there any GW user here who still have a wifi conection set in the sysNAND ?
    Really ?
    I just have one in emuNAND, no sysNAND.
    Keeping a real connecion in sysNAND... deserves user to get sysNAND updated :P

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Every time you change the wifi connection settings in emunand, they will be added back to the sysnand. With the 3ds being a portable console, and the inability to add more than 3 connections, this is something that will inevitably happen a lot.

13. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Ok, my 3DS only have my home connection.
    In fact, it's my son's one, 7 years old.
    He doesn't want to play online though :P

14. shamzie

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    What's the buttons you need to press to bring up the screen size options, is it just start/select?

15. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    That's cool, man. To each their own. :)

cearp likes this.