Gaming WARNING: Ban wave has started, STAY AWAY FROM LIVE!

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
popopola - The idea behind ixtreme firmware was supposedly to not let your 360 play games that could get you banned. So if new protection came out afterwards that the hacked firmware didn't recognise, it refuses to boot, just in case it is a bad copy.
mr. nintendo - no you need to connect the drive to a PC using compatible sata card etc.

ixtreme and abgx360 checking has proven to be a complete waste of time but we knew the risks so we only have ourselves to blame.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QuantumFluxx said:
I was indeed referring to playing full games from the hard drive, not arcade titles. You ask why someone would want to play from the hard drive your answer is:
Better load times
Much quieter xbox
less heat generated inside the unit (aka helping to avoid overheat/RRoD)
keeping your 360 disc drive in good shape (its well known reading burned games stresses the laser more than a legit game, causing premature DRE's and failure of the drive over time at an accelerated rate than normal)

So yeah, installing 360 games is kind of a big thing, not being able to do so hurts in numerous ways.

Ah ok then we got that clear, thanks.

Regarding the hurting, I don't think it's such a big thing, but opinions differ. My Xbox 360 is so loud wether or not a DVD is in the drive, it simply does not matter. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my PC's
wink.gif

QUOTE(olliepop2000 @ Nov 11 2009, 12:53 PM) ixtreme and abgx360 checking has proven to be a complete waste of time but we knew the risks so we only have ourselves to blame.

While I totally agree with you I do with my hardware what I want. That's why I give a crap about the online connection, I'm a classic 80's local co-op gamer.
The only thing the ban changed for me: If anyone'd ask to buy a X360 or PS3, I'd recommend the PS3. Free online gaming, and quiet console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit, seems I am a bit late in my reply. I will leave it up though.

First thing to remember is that these hacked firmwares are a product of reverse engineering which is a delicate art at the best of times and things are subject to change (indeed MS may well do otherwise acceptable things as far as a stock 360 goes that trip up the efforts of the hackers), iextreme unlike many of the older firmwares also brings checks to try and keep people from not being banned from live.

Back on topic

1.6 does not have wave 4 support.
1.61 does although it is only out for Samsung and Benq drives (hitachi 1.51 unlike the other drives does support wave 4 though).
liteon drives have nothing other than the one shot boot disc at this time although a new firmware should be coming in the not too distant future.
In terms of checks though they are more or less the same (unlike earlier versions/firmwares which did not have checks) so yes playing old games is not a problem.
Edit: I sense my phrasing might confuse:
The later versions of iextreme brought more strict checks to the table so discs that might have worked on earlier firmwares might now refuse to work. The difference between 1.6 and 1.61 for the main checks (other than the support for the new style disc formats wave 4 brings) are negligible though.

To update the 360 dvd drive firmware you need to use the sata port, there is no way of using a DVD to update it.
Previously hacked firmwares will give up the keys easily though so no need for special hardware beyond the compatible sata card (no need for a probe or special measures that you might have needed the first time round).

@popopola iextreme updates are for many reasons including bug fixes, new features and support for changes to things.
Examples
1.4 brought a fix for the angles problem (see the "bad kreon rip" part of the startup page of abgx360 for more on that)
1.6 brought built in 0800 mode (used for dumping games) where before you would need to either flash the drive and flash it back or have a drive dedicated to dumping.
1.51 brought wave 3 support to the 1.5 line. 1.61 does wave 4 for the 1.6 line.

The reason wave 4 games do not work is because certain aspects of the disc were changed for the new xbox updates from microsoft (they bundle them on discs occasionally), if you want the proper tech info/explanation then http://abgx360.net/ .
This change could in theory be the fault of a bad rip so the checks the hacked firmware does will shut it down before you can play it (it was not supposed to happen but it did).
Indeed some of the far older firmwares (of versions thereof) lack these checks and some people have gone in for them.
Note that these firmwares are not necessarily that good and they do not exist for the newer drives (namely the liteon).

I am deliberately avoiding mentioning wave patching as it is not a future proof thing and even with banned drives I suggest you wait it out (better to waste one disc on the one shot boot disc now than however many reburning stuff later).

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Too late
frown.gif

See sig. Was playing MW2 earlier during the day, went to check it out again and noticed I wasn't signed in... 2 seconds after trying to sign in "This console has been banned blah blah blah yachta yachta yachta"

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Gosh..I didn't touched my XBox360 now for 2 Weeks or more...I realy hope that I haven't been flagged or banned yet...praying. (And yes, I tried that "Repair-Trick", but the German XBox-Site looks different, so I can't tell...)

Btw: You all know that they can now detect a Flashed Drive, and that an iXtreme Lite will come, which should be pretty close to the original Firmware, and therefore be safe for the Bans (at least for a while)? This has all been said by c4eva, the creator of iXtreme (in the Logs of the IRC Channel).

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ZeWarrior said:
Too late
frown.gif

See sig. Was playing MW2 earlier during the day, went to check it out again and noticed I wasn't signed in... 2 seconds after trying to sign in "This console has been banned blah blah blah yachta yachta yachta"

So in other words, you were somehow safe for some time. It looks like however, that the "problem" here is that MS is starting with regions.

I believe they hit US, and basically console ID's that have set there console locale to United states, and then EU, now back in south america. This may be the wildest speculation ever but i believe its just somehow like that, seeming as though we all got banned at different times. Just out of interested, any Australians banned ?

Im still getting error 54420, i wonder if its banned
smileipb2.png

im too scared to check, id rather keep my console offline forever, i mean you never know, maybe future games need stuff installed on the HDD ( a recent example could be forza) and i literally have no use/ had much use for live either way.

QUOTE(olliepop2000 @ Nov 11 2009, 02:53 PM) ixtreme and abgx360 checking has proven to be a complete waste of time but we knew the risks so we only have ourselves to blame.

I think we could all come to that conclusion now, the flaw was in our belief we are safe, we were for some time, but something screwed us over. Its nothing WE can complain about though, we all took the risk. Whatever happened, MS must have found a way or something.

This may attract a lot of hate, but if you want to play online, and don't mind paying, just buy retail games, and if you want to cut back on paying for the live service as well, a PS3 is looking like a bigger and better option. I have both, and i always wished that i had PROPER internet to consider online play (in the sense it wont lag)

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Just read this

QUOTE said:
I think I can figure it out. There are lots of ways of determining if you are running a copied game. One way is to use a Gaussian distribution model and you can be very accurate. You can transform performance metrics of an original disc and a copied disc using various distribution models, wavelets, z transformation then with further filtering of the data mining process you can get a distribution of copied games.

I have done it with other data sets it's not impossible. Its beyond the comprehension of most programmers. You can try and hide it all you want but it's next to impossible to escape this type of analysis.

One thing that also confuses me is people who havent been banned are being warned to stay away from live and not play backups till ixtreme LT is out. What i want to know is surely just updating your drives firmware wont make a difference will it? I mean say if microsoft always check for flashed firmware on startup of a console then theyve already come to the conclusion that youve modded your drive and therefore flagged you?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
jaxxster said:
One thing that also confuses me is people who havent been banned are being warned to stay away from live and not play backups till ixtreme LT is out. What i want to know is surely just updating your drives firmware wont make a difference will it? I mean say if microsoft always check for flashed firmware on startup of a console then theyve already come to the conclusion that youve modded your drive and therefore flagged you?
I think I see what you're saying, and you're right; if you have a console that has already been flagged, installing the "LT" firmware will most likely not make a difference. You're still gonna get banned. That's why I'm staying off Live until that firmware is released, and once that happens, I'll go out and buy a brand new 360 and flash it with the LT firmware.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
@JKR Firefox: You said from now on you'll be buying the games you want to play online... but I'm sure you realize that you'll still be at risk by just having a flashed 360. Unless you meant that you'll be going full legit from now on... in that case, you'll be fine
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna try to do that Microsoft repair thing and see what it says about my console. I'll report the results later.

Well, I'm going to pick up a 360 for online play and buy games to play legit.

Otherwise, the banned console will do fine for playing backups
tongue.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if you're not flagged, you really think the LT firmware will make a difference?, it'll be the same old story. Firmware released, everyone says fine, no bans etc, next ban waves comes along and out come the bans. Then along come all the excuses, oh it was X game or it was X bug in the firmware, new revision fixes it. Then just repeat the cycle.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
Even if you're not flagged, you really think the LT firmware will make a difference?, it'll be the same old story. Firmware released, everyone says fine, no bans etc, next ban waves comes along and out come the bans. Then along come all the excuses, oh it was X game or it was X bug in the firmware, new revision fixes it. Then just repeat the cycle.
Either way, I doubt I'll survive this ban wave seeing as pretty much everyone is getting banned. I might as well wait for the new firmware and hope it works.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
If you play more than say 5 new copies over the course of the year it prob is still cheaper to keep buying a new xbox and flash it each time. If you only play a few games online it is cheaper to not flash the new one and just buy those games legit and use the banned console as a test bed for games you may wish to buy to use on live on the unmodded one.

popopola

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The wierd thing is I'm still not banned yet all my friends around me are getting banned.

I have a UK xbox and I'm playing it here in Canada, abgx checking/stealth patching RF and PAL games and not playing them early.

....ugh I'm getting nervous now.

QuantumFluxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blue-K said:
Gosh..I didn't touched my XBox360 now for 2 Weeks or more...I realy hope that I haven't been flagged or banned yet...praying. (And yes, I tried that "Repair-Trick", but the German XBox-Site looks different, so I can't tell...)

Thats why I said you have to change to the US - English site. You can do this at any time by clicking the country and language link at the top left of the page. I imagine it says German up there, click it, in the list select US - English, and you will get to where you need to be to check.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
How long is the wave expected to last?
Since its proving successful why would Microsoft stop the wave? Why not run it 365 days?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1