Gaming Official Warning! Associating your identity with ROM dumps!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it has come to my attention that members of this site are attaching their forum usernames and internet handles on ROM dumps.
wow. Really? We should pin those post about how to ensure anonymity to all hack sectioned forums. Or would that constitute getting into "no-no" territory?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Piracy isn't "theft", but the closest real-world equivalent of piracy is in fact stealing. If you wouldn't rob a bank and leave a calling card there just for the fame factor, you probably don't want to sign a pirated copy of a game with your primary nick. @p1ngpong is absolutely right in this regard, this is a dangerous game, and there are in fact some members on this site that have faced legal action for merely redistributing pirated content, let alone providing it. I distinctly remember one of the members facing a lawsuit due to sharing New Super Mario Bros. Wii online, so be aware of the risks and don't try to be an Internet Hero - it could get you into a heap of trouble and it's just not worth it.

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
my question is, where lies gbatemp? i mean it heas a (excuse me) sh*tload of information about hacking/ romdumping/ guides etc. to pirate all kind of stuff.

so why doesnt nintendo shut down this forum ?(hope they never do tho)

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
So..is there some general guideline on how do we protect ourself from these things? Not by rom dumping, i dont do that, i only download some to play my self, but in general, how to stay safe in that world in general weather that be me, pirates etc....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Piracy isn't "theft", but the closest real-world equivalent of piracy is in fact stealing. If you wouldn't rob a bank and leave a calling card there just for the fame factor, you probably don't want to sign a pirated copy of a game with your primary nick..
But its not the same, because when you steel (money lets say) from a bank, you steel phisical thing that cant be replicated, but software can be replicated leaving original and replicate from it infinite number of times, but original is still there. But i guess that since there is no such thing in real world, that is the best example. Just saying.... Actually in biology, cells can replicate, but not infinite number of times as i know... so that is even closer example lol

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So..is there some general guideline on how do we protect ourself from these things? Not by rom dumping, i dont do that, i only download some to play my self, but in general, how to stay safe in that world in general weather that be me, pirates etc....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But its not the same, because when you steel (money lets say) from a bank, you steel phisical thing that cant be replicated, but software can be replicated leaving original and replicate from it infinite number of times, but original is still there. But i guess that since there is no such thing in real world, that is the best example. Just saying.... Actually in biology, cells can replicate, but not infinite number of times as i know... so that is even closer example lol
That's why I said it's not theft. It's still illegal though - you're taking software, replicating it without a license allowing you to do so and redistributing it without the consent of the original creator. Even without getting into the nitty-gritty detail, you don't want to do anything illegal, *especially* if you're openly stating your identity while at it.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
That's why I said it's not theft. It's still illegal though - you're taking software, replicating it without a license allowing you to do so and redistributing it without the consent of the original creator. Even without getting into the nitty-gritty detail, you don't want to do anything illegal, *especially* if you're openly stating your identity while at it.
I see... but...as im aware, thats the law right? but as i know you cant sell that and not use it or share it without making profit. I mean you cant make profit of someone else work, thats just nasty imo! but you can share it, thats not illegal.... or am i geting someting wrong?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see... but...as im aware, thats the law right? but as i know you cant sell that and not use it or share it without making profit. I mean you cant make profit of someone else work, thats just nasty imo! but you can share it, thats not illegal.... or am i geting someting wrong?
It is absolutely illegal to share under any circumstances. You only have a license for one copy for personal use. You can give someone your copy and the license transfers to the new owner, even if it's just borrowed, but you cannot duplicate the software and give it to someone - from a legal standpoint that detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer got it for free.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
It is absolutely illegal to share under any circumstances. You only have a license for one copy for personal use. You can give someone your copy and the license transfers to the new owner, even if it's just borrowed, but you cannot duplicate the software and give it to someone - from a legal standpoint that detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer got it for free.

But they still do sell, that makes no sense imo. are there any real life proof that it detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer, i wonder?
also, i personally think that it can boost sales actually, but that would mean making more original and more quality games because if that happens, and i play it for free, i would GlADLY want to own a original (not me, not because i dont want but my financial situation and my country financial situation is bad, so i need to figure out some way to play games since i love it, but i do have some games, used, cheap priced etc. for example, i got other m ISO, i love metroid, and i want to find legal copy of it regardless that i have ISO) also...not everione knows or want to bother to get things for free, and nor its possible to do so when things are hot because it takes time to crack a system and not everione knows and uses copies. also i see on all sites i download "if you like the game buy it"

i really dont get that all thing, but i understand its the actual law now, i didnt know that, i thought its illegal to SELL taht copy...i guess that is new law, cause i dont remember that in the pasy, i presume its because of owerall availability and means to produce copies. its way easier now i guess (or not)
Anyway, im just using simple, poor, gamer logic, and general logic here...

About that

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But they still do sell, that makes no sense imo. are there any real life proof that it detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer, i wonder?
also, i personally think that it can boost sales actually, but that would mean making more original and more quality games because if that happens, and i play it for free, i would GlADLY want to own a original (not me, not because i dont want but my financial situation and my country financial situation is bad, so i need to figure out some way to play games since i love it, but i do have some games, used, cheap priced etc. for example, i got other m ISO, i love metroid, and i want to find legal copy of it regardless that i have ISO) also...not everione knows or want to bother to get things for free, and nor its possible to do so when things are hot because it takes time to crack a system and not everione knows and uses copies. also i see on all sites i download "if you like the game buy it"

i really dont get that all thing, but i understand its the actual law now, i didnt know that, i thought its illegal to SELL taht copy...i guess that is new law, cause i dont remember that in the pasy, i presume its because of owerall availability and means to produce copies. its way easier now i guess (or not)
Anyway, im just using simple, poor, gamer logic, and general logic here...

About that
It's been like this since the dawn of computing, it's just rarely enforced.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Bateees

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going out on the limb and saying most people doing the dumps are minors who do not know any better. Imagine if Nintendo were to try an sue a minor? It would gain worldwide headlines and be bigger than the girl sued many years ago for downloading illegal music. Be a responsible adultelete all saves from used games before dumping because you don't want little Cindy becoming an orphon because her parents down in Whoville went to prison over a game she traded for next to nothing to Gamestop who turned around and sold the game to you for $5 less than retail price then returned the next day.

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Please note that dumping your carts for verification purposes, and sharing only the meta-data with no-intro team is perfectly fine.

There is another grey area for sharing patches that change existing dumps to any new dumps you may make.

It's the actuall full upload of a dumped rom thats dangerous.

I hope this blog can be adjusted so it doesn't scare away people that might want to help preservation but do not intend to share actual roms.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be a responsible adultelete all saves from used games before dumping

This is nonsense. Have you ever dumped a cart? Saves are stored in a different part of the cart. There is literally no reason to delete saves before dumping. Just don't dump or include saves if you distribute the ROM

because you don't want little Cindy becoming an orphon because her parents down in Whoville went to prison over a game she traded

If you can track CIndy down from a save file, you should be working for the FBI, cuz that's some impossible shit right there.

Last edited by tbb043,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is nonsense. Have you ever dumped a cart? Saves are stored in a different part of the cart. There is literally no reason to delete saves before dumping. Just don't dump or include saves if you distribute the ROM

If you can track CIndy down from a save file, you should be working for the FBI, cuz that's some impossible shit right there.
This is a story all about how, a little save file turned your life upside down. I tracked a few bytes that you thought were square, but its geolocation data that'll take your ball hair *dances*

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using your username is not the real problem @least not if you know what you're doing. Sadly most people attach a lot of personal things to their username like their real birthday, location, part of their real name etc... & they tend to use that same name on different forums, sns etc. & will tell others who they're too, & that's definetly contributes giving away your identity.

I'm amazed sometimes how easily some people give out their personal details nowdays. The internet won't forget (at least not easily). It's sad people have to be warned like this everytime & still some won't get it...

There're also already a lot of other criminals who wouldn't mind framing someone/steal your identity yet there're some people that're smart to make it easier for those people, since they think they're safe already with their basic knowledge.

For example. Last year my psn account was hacked & I'm very sure I never shared that info with anyone not even my family knows my nickname/e-mailadres I used etc., heck they probably don't even know what psn is...xD (i never share my account details) Luckily didn't have my adres etc. on it, but hell that was really a lot of stress for me dealing with those ignorant helpdesk people who didn't bother helping, but only blamed me, someone actually even denied I their servers were ever hacked etc.(yeah right..., we all know about the big hacking incident) this all eventhough there were others who had a similiar experience, but most of those people lost money & that'show they found out.

In my case my ps4 who was primary got deactivated replaced by the hackers ps4 (why my ps4 idk i barely even had any digital ps4 games) I was watching a video on back then that'swhy I knew I was hacked. I also never logged in on any other ps4 & don't know anyone near me with a ps4... They only told me to change my password & deactivate the ps4 via site yeah right I couldn't which is why I contacted them & they said they couldn't remove it either I was like wth, that's not enough since I had already changed my password together with my email before contacting them (those things 1st things I did after I found out). So I was stuck with a ps4 on my account for 6 months..., lol I'm still pissed about that terrible treatment as I wouldn't have mind it at all if that account was temporarily suspended/banned until the issue was resolved.

Instead of properly listening & give proper assist you will be seen as an idiot while you might be more knowledgeable than some working there, really it was something to cry about if you'd know how ignorant some of those people were.

I mean it really if I had my real name adres etc. on that account & I was hacked by someone who has access to that info & planned something bad like abduction I would've fell victim a long time ago... You often don't know who's the culprit in such a case.

This is why I dislike online databases that have your personal info on it, I try to give as little possible info to companies, since some don't care what happens to you in case your account is hacked/compromised & they will push everything on you despite them asking you for those details & while they're not keeping it safe. It also scares me sometimes how much some people underestimate the dangers of the internet. Those people also forget they can cause trouble/harm to family too. So people please don't forget it's not only the companies that can target you, but other people who're capable of worse too!

tldr: You can't be too careful on the internet!!! It's not only the companies, goverment that watch you..., there're enough crazy & bad people (criminals) on the internet too.

P.s Is it just me that's glad sometimes when some people were ever caught I'd say it's actually great it happened, before something worser happened to them or their family...., really some people are better off being caught for their own/family's sake! Ofcourse I don't mean to say it's great for their family to get ruined financially just because 1 rom was uploaded. Sadly sometimes the punishments for uploaders are heavier/higher than for criminals heavy crimes like murder rape etc..., it's really sad that this is possible.

k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bondgirl85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I am concerned about my username but I will never hack this 3DS here. I am betting Nintendo probably lurks here because I saw a thread here where bunch of users were saying they were banned and it was happening in waves. Which is why I removed my friend code and ID0 for my other game system just in case they do lurk here to look for game consoles to ban.

But I only want to play games, I don't cheat online nor do I know how to do this hacking stuff to cheat online. I also don't do any game dumping because I don't understand it nor do I know why anyone would want to dump a game. I don't even know how to pirate games nor do I want to, I only want to play and I like the custom themes too. I admit I would upload games to the freeshop if I knew how since not all retail games and eshop games are there.

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly, the way it was always done was a member of the public would pass on their dump to a scene group to release to protect themselves. I really worry that a naive kid will get into a heap of trouble one day just because he was trying to grow his epeen.
yeah well how do scene groups get away with it? are they just not found out?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah well how do scene groups get away with it? are they just not found out?
They know what they're doing when they hide their identities. Or at least, they hope they are. Some scenes have just "the group" do it, with no unique handles/usernames/identifiers added, for that extra layer of protection and deniability.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: jimmyj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...