Official Warning! Associating your identity with ROM dumps!

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by p1ngpong, Apr 27, 2016.

1. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    wow. Really? We should pin those post about how to ensure anonymity to all hack sectioned forums. Or would that constitute getting into "no-no" territory?

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Piracy isn't "theft", but the closest real-world equivalent of piracy is in fact stealing. If you wouldn't rob a bank and leave a calling card there just for the fame factor, you probably don't want to sign a pirated copy of a game with your primary nick. @p1ngpong is absolutely right in this regard, this is a dangerous game, and there are in fact some members on this site that have faced legal action for merely redistributing pirated content, let alone providing it. I distinctly remember one of the members facing a lawsuit due to sharing New Super Mario Bros. Wii online, so be aware of the risks and don't try to be an Internet Hero - it could get you into a heap of trouble and it's just not worth it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    my question is, where lies gbatemp? i mean it heas a (excuse me) sh*tload of information about hacking/ romdumping/ guides etc. to pirate all kind of stuff.

so why doesnt nintendo shut down this forum ?(hope they never do tho)

4. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    As long as there are no links/uploads of copyrighted material it is pretty safe. The trading section is kind of grey at times, though.

5. eechigoo

eechigoo Gbatemp amphibian

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    Hell
    piracy is kinda like a legal lagoon.

Except the lagoon is the Stix lagoon.

and Smea and co are Charon.

6. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    So..is there some general guideline on how do we protect ourself from these things? Not by rom dumping, i dont do that, i only download some to play my self, but in general, how to stay safe in that world in general weather that be me, pirates etc....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But its not the same, because when you steel (money lets say) from a bank, you steel phisical thing that cant be replicated, but software can be replicated leaving original and replicate from it infinite number of times, but original is still there. But i guess that since there is no such thing in real world, that is the best example. Just saying.... Actually in biology, cells can replicate, but not infinite number of times as i know... so that is even closer example lol

Last edited by Metoroid0, Jan 16, 2017
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's why I said it's not theft. It's still illegal though - you're taking software, replicating it without a license allowing you to do so and redistributing it without the consent of the original creator. Even without getting into the nitty-gritty detail, you don't want to do anything illegal, *especially* if you're openly stating your identity while at it.

8. Metoroid0

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    I see... but...as im aware, thats the law right? but as i know you cant sell that and not use it or share it without making profit. I mean you cant make profit of someone else work, thats just nasty imo! but you can share it, thats not illegal.... or am i geting someting wrong?

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It is absolutely illegal to share under any circumstances. You only have a license for one copy for personal use. You can give someone your copy and the license transfers to the new owner, even if it's just borrowed, but you cannot duplicate the software and give it to someone - from a legal standpoint that detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer got it for free.

10. Metoroid0

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    But they still do sell, that makes no sense imo. are there any real life proof that it detracts from the creator's ability to sell the product as the potential customer, i wonder?
    also, i personally think that it can boost sales actually, but that would mean making more original and more quality games because if that happens, and i play it for free, i would GlADLY want to own a original (not me, not because i dont want but my financial situation and my country financial situation is bad, so i need to figure out some way to play games since i love it, but i do have some games, used, cheap priced etc. for example, i got other m ISO, i love metroid, and i want to find legal copy of it regardless that i have ISO) also...not everione knows or want to bother to get things for free, and nor its possible to do so when things are hot because it takes time to crack a system and not everione knows and uses copies. also i see on all sites i download "if you like the game buy it"

i really dont get that all thing, but i understand its the actual law now, i didnt know that, i thought its illegal to SELL taht copy...i guess that is new law, cause i dont remember that in the pasy, i presume its because of owerall availability and means to produce copies. its way easier now i guess (or not)
    Anyway, im just using simple, poor, gamer logic, and general logic here...

About that

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's been like this since the dawn of computing, it's just rarely enforced.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  12. Bateees

Bateees Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2015
    United States
    I am going out on the limb and saying most people doing the dumps are minors who do not know any better. Imagine if Nintendo were to try an sue a minor? It would gain worldwide headlines and be bigger than the girl sued many years ago for downloading illegal music. Be a responsible adultelete all saves from used games before dumping because you don't want little Cindy becoming an orphon because her parents down in Whoville went to prison over a game she traded for next to nothing to Gamestop who turned around and sold the game to you for $5 less than retail price then returned the next day.

13. bakawun

bakawun GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2017
    Luxembourg
    Please note that dumping your carts for verification purposes, and sharing only the meta-data with no-intro team is perfectly fine.

There is another grey area for sharing patches that change existing dumps to any new dumps you may make.

It's the actuall full upload of a dumped rom thats dangerous.

I hope this blog can be adjusted so it doesn't scare away people that might want to help preservation but do not intend to share actual roms.

14. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    This is nonsense. Have you ever dumped a cart? Saves are stored in a different part of the cart. There is literally no reason to delete saves before dumping. Just don't dump or include saves if you distribute the ROM

If you can track CIndy down from a save file, you should be working for the FBI, cuz that's some impossible shit right there.

Last edited by tbb043, Apr 1, 2017
  15. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    This is a story all about how, a little save file turned your life upside down. I tracked a few bytes that you thought were square, but its geolocation data that'll take your ball hair *dances*

CompanionKitteh and 8BitWonder like this.
  16. CrispyCola

CrispyCola GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Sand
    k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Akihabara

Akihabara Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2014
    Australia