Official Warning! Associating your identity with ROM dumps!

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by p1ngpong, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Osga21

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    I'm super late, but why would you ever sign your releases with an username that you actually use? Just use a different alias for your releases, bonus points if it's generic and edgy like "unforg1ven" or "BarTHolLomeW"

2. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    There was a guy that try to rob a bank. Wrote on the back of his deposit slip(has his account number, name, address on it)

Put all the money in a bag i have a gun.
    The bank teller did and the cops got meant him at his house

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    :wtf: :rofl:
    Got a link to that story? I want to read more about it.

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Early release!! :P

Metroid_Prime_Federation_Force_USA_3DS-ZOOGIEPHOBIA

Ricken likes this.
  5. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    No i dont have the link to it, this was over 5 years ago. Saw it on the news.
    But if you google "dumb criminals" it might be on there

6. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Yo what filter is that?

7. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Expedition Society Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    Lively Town, Water Continent
    Totally forget... i think it's xbgr or whatever it's called

TheGrayShow1467 likes this.
  8. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Thanks.

On topic: How to avoid getting caught; Don't do it.

lcie nimbus likes this.
  9. Angely

Angely GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    Using your username is not the real problem @least not if you know what you're doing. Sadly most people attach a lot of personal things to their username like their real birthday, location, part of their real name etc... & they tend to use that same name on different forums, sns etc. & will tell others who they're too, & that's definetly contributes giving away your identity.

I'm amazed sometimes how easily some people give out their personal details nowdays. The internet won't forget (at least not easily). It's sad people have to be warned like this everytime & still some won't get it...

There're also already a lot of other criminals who wouldn't mind framing someone/steal your identity yet there're some people that're smart to make it easier for those people, since they think they're safe already with their basic knowledge.

For example. Last year my psn account was hacked & I'm very sure I never shared that info with anyone not even my family knows my nickname/e-mailadres I used etc., heck they probably don't even know what psn is...xD (i never share my account details) Luckily didn't have my adres etc. on it, but hell that was really a lot of stress for me dealing with those ignorant helpdesk people who didn't bother helping, but only blamed me, someone actually even denied I their servers were ever hacked etc.(yeah right..., we all know about the big hacking incident) this all eventhough there were others who had a similiar experience, but most of those people lost money & that'show they found out.

In my case my ps4 who was primary got deactivated replaced by the hackers ps4 (why my ps4 idk i barely even had any digital ps4 games) I was watching a video on back then that'swhy I knew I was hacked. I also never logged in on any other ps4 & don't know anyone near me with a ps4... They only told me to change my password & deactivate the ps4 via site yeah right I couldn't which is why I contacted them & they said they couldn't remove it either I was like wth, that's not enough since I had already changed my password together with my email before contacting them (those things 1st things I did after I found out). So I was stuck with a ps4 on my account for 6 months..., lol I'm still pissed about that terrible treatment as I wouldn't have mind it at all if that account was temporarily suspended/banned until the issue was resolved.

Instead of properly listening & give proper assist you will be seen as an idiot while you might be more knowledgeable than some working there, really it was something to cry about if you'd know how ignorant some of those people were.

I mean it really if I had my real name adres etc. on that account & I was hacked by someone who has access to that info & planned something bad like abduction I would've fell victim a long time ago... You often don't know who's the culprit in such a case.

This is why I dislike online databases that have your personal info on it, I try to give as little possible info to companies, since some don't care what happens to you in case your account is hacked/compromised & they will push everything on you despite them asking you for those details & while they're not keeping it safe. It also scares me sometimes how much some people underestimate the dangers of the internet. Those people also forget they can cause trouble/harm to family too. So people please don't forget it's not only the companies that can target you, but other people who're capable of worse too!

tldr: You can't be too careful on the internet!!! It's not only the companies, goverment that watch you..., there're enough crazy & bad people (criminals) on the internet too.

P.s Is it just me that's glad sometimes when some people were ever caught I'd say it's actually great it happened, before something worser happened to them or their family...., really some people are better off being caught for their own/family's sake! Ofcourse I don't mean to say it's great for their family to get ruined financially just because 1 rom was uploaded. Sadly sometimes the punishments for uploaders are heavier/higher than for criminals heavy crimes like murder rape etc..., it's really sad that this is possible.

10. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    clap , clap , clap finally someone who actually wants to warn others that this practice is dangerous . now if only they will listen....

11. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    so..who is that guy

12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octovalley
    I have to say... back in the GBA rom dumping era, Mode7 was the worst dumper, always adding hacktros to their roms, and they were never skipable, adding 30 to 40 seconds of bullshit to booting the rom.

13. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    hacktros were kind of cool though..some of them. that was when I learned about the demoscene

VinsCool likes this.
  14. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I won't say who.. *cough* New Super Mario Bros leak

15. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    What case was this? The Super Mario Galaxy leak or whatever where the kid left their EXIF data in the picture?

Also, why the hell would someone do this to begin with? It's not hard to put anyone else's name in there too.

16. LightShell

LightShell GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2016
    fat1:/lightshell
    upload_2016-12-3_9-56-55.png
    nintendo is racist.

17. kirbystu

kirbystu Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2016
    Wait, people actually do this?

18. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    Yes.

19. kirbystu

kirbystu Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2016
    Couldn't that also bring trouble to this site too?

20. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    Probably, but not really