Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So Warner Bros. is now Blu-ray exclusive and will stop supporting HD DVD somewhere along the year. Lots of people are saying the format war is going to end because of this. Hopefully the prices will start dropping rather sooner than later, I need some good movies to watch on the 50" screen.
smile.gif
Any other thought/opinions on this?

QUOTE said:
NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc's (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Warner Bros studio on Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp's (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) rival HD DVD technology.

Warner Bros, Hollywood's biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20 percent of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry.

Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5 percent in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8 percent to $15.7 billion.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

News Corp's (NWSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research), and Lionsgate (LGF.N: Quote, Profile, Research) are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom Inc's (VIAb.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Paramount studios and General Electric's (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

(Reporting by Kenneth Li in New York and Bob Tourtellotte and Peter Henderson in Los Angeles; Editing by Brian Moss)

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...432340820080104

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Is good to know this won't affect the console Wars, Microsoft is gonna release a bluRay player add on if HD DVD format dies.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer HD-DVD (mostly for the title, it's more easily recognized by the general consumer)... but I knew Blu-ray would win eventually. I'm not sure why, I've just always had that feeling. This is a step in the right direction for them.
happy.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Err... Hybrid Players, anyone? I'm assuming the price for them is high at the moment, hopefully that'll change in a year or two...

edit: ...or ten.

Corizzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder what Sony paid them?

Rumor has it they were paid $500 million,

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.php/2008...n-from-the-bda/

But Warner denied this in a conference call. Really I don't see why they would have went exclusive without a payoff though. Blu Ray is looking like the stand out but I still won't say the format war is completely dead if HD DVD keeps undercutting their prices. $50 HD DVD players and $15 movies could win over a lot of cheap people.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
HD-DVD FTW! It's a lot better and a lot cooler, than Blu-ray.

Specs and Sales wise says otherwise. Even movie studios know Blu-ray is going to win and is obviously the superior format, WB because a Blu-ray exclusive for a reason.. Yes I do like Sony, but I like Toshiba too. My TV is a Toshiba brand one believe it or not
laugh.gif
But HD-DVD is not better. In your opinion it can be cooler, but blu-ray is better.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
blu ray will also lose eventually. DVD is still a good media and you can get upscalers to play DVDs at 1080p. Also who wants to rebuy all their DVD collection on blu ray.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.