XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
Warhawk DS v1.0 7/8/09
NEW NDS Hombrew
warhawkds_7-7-09capture1.png
warhawkds_7-7-09capture2.png

Warhawk DS is "based on a commercial C64 game released by Proteus Developments in 1986." This port has been coded 100% in ASM and given the professional touch, this homebrew is of "retro-commercial" quality. For more information on the project and the game itself, check the source page linked below.

About said:
The game has 16 normal levels and also upon completion, another 16 mental levels become available. It is worth finishing the mental levels for the true completion and credit sequence.

Thanks to Vato via IRC for the news!
the music is smokin'

download.gif
Download EFS
download.gif
Download FAT
download.gif
Download ALT
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
can anyone else confirm that the musical audio does not function on the acekard 2.1 using akaio 1.4.1 proper? soundefx, however, are working. hmm using my rpg and a different msd i'm still getting no music. the rpg is running akaio 1.3 =/.

i found out the issue:
if the 3in1 is inserted the audio does not play. this is probably another 'efs' problem. these appear on every homebrew app i've tried that used 'efs' when the 3in1 is plugged in. i hate 'efs', everyone should. lol. i'm just happy that the 'efs' on this app doesn't screw up the nor of my 3in1 like AemioDA v2.0 by Alekmaul did.

i've always wondered if there was a way to check if the 3in1 was inserted and then adjust how the 'efs' functions. from what i recall it is a file loading system based on slot2 linkers, and when it doesn't find a real slot2 linker it throws up problems, warnings, and crashes out.

i hope the devs respond =)

-another world

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just checked this out.....very nice. It has sweet music, frantic gameplay and production values that make many retail DS games look sad! Plays fine on a CycloDS. Tyrian is still my favorite DS shoot'em-up, but this game is fun too.

Funny, I was playing the original Warhawk on my C64 emu just the other day. Why can't we get more retail releases like this and Tyrian? I mean seriously, these really should be sold in stores. I love shoot'em-ups.
yaynds.gif

Kudos to all involved in WarhawkDS's creation!
bow.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn not play Warhawk in ages! Great port indeed, it all works so damn well.

I'm with Raydar on this, this and Tyrian are more deserving of retail space than 90% of DS games out there.

IMO this should be stickied so it shows up first.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't work in M3 Real; Sakura boots to two white screens and TouchPod hangs at the load screen. Shame.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AXYPB said:
This doesn't work in M3 Real; Sakura boots to two white screens and TouchPod hangs at the load screen. Shame.

You can run it via DsOrganize, enjoy! (both versions work, but I'd rather use the EFS one, since it doesn't require the Warhawk folder at the root)

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
make sure nothing is in the slot-2, efs will cause problems. give the fat version a try, i just added a link to the news post.

-another world

Hmm...I downloaded the EFS version and it played fine on my CycloDS with an M3 Perfect plugged into slot2.

Man! This game gets a LOT tougher at level 3.
wacko.gif
I like it!
yay.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
neither works on the ak2.1/rpg with the 3in1 inserted, for me. i can sort of recall some stuff about how efs detects slot2 in the startup routine. the 3in1 does not register as a valid slot2 GBA cart. ejecting the 3in1 before starting allows both versions to work for me. i've had this issue on my rpg, and ak2(s) with the 3in1 inserted for all efs homebrew projects across different msd cards. thankfully warhawk just fails to load the audio. other homebrew projects have actually corrupted the nor of my 3in1. oddly those devs never responded to email about it either =P.

the fat takes 10x as long to initalize, so i guess i'll stick to the efs build. =/

i wish the transition from the top screen to the bottom included a bit of a delay. i get throw off by the plastic between the screens. this one might actually be more fun on an emu.

-another world

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing these shooter-plane games in the arcade when I was younger. This brings back memories, I definitely check this out later.

headspin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From our website

QUOTE said:
We would prefer it if people linked back to this website for the download, that way any potential updates will be linked to in the future.

So in other words please dont host the downloads here; instead link back to the website http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=warhawk

Good to hear people are enjoying the game
smile.gif
I hope the recent updates help fix the problems some people were having with some older cards.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you aren't numbering the files, how are we to know there is an update? unless your thought is that people link back to the page and the file name stays the same, so the link is always updated. if that is the case, could you at least list on the download page the update number and a change log?

http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=...p;page=download

you said the files linked are out of date but your homepage still says v1.0 and each readme says v1.0. from our standpoint, they aren't. this is a bit confusing =/. should these not be v1.1 or something?

your readme also recommends to defrag a msd card? even the companies don't recommend that you ever defrag a msd card which already has a limited amount of read/writes. you guys should update that and tell users to reformat their msd and start fresh. that is the safe alternative to defragging.

as for mirroring, gbatemp has an extensive catalogue of old files. the members enjoy it and rely upon it. if you didn't want to link so that you could keep track of downloads, that’s one thing, but asking not to mirror simply for new versions doesn't make sense. as we post news the new versions will get mirrored. i stay on top of these things =).

do you have a problem with that way of thinking?

i'd be glad to link an off-site link back to your download page with each updated news post. but i will also continue to mirror the files here at the temp.

-another world

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow !
This game just remind me some pretty good days when i was playing it on one of my first computer.

The DS version is just amazing ! Two screens, better graphics, remixed Rob Hubbard's music !
yay.gif

Very good job guys !

Glad to see again some great coders in DS homebrew scene.
grog.gif

/me gone to donate some buck on the official website.

To those who even don't know what the game looks like on C64, check this.
Now you can compare the job done on this great homebrew.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1