Gaming Warhammer 40K: Squad Command

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just played the PSP demo of the game (which is the same game for the Nintendo DS only 2D).

First of all: the game is not a RTS per se. I mean, is a little different than that.
For those few who had an NGage or even remember, Red Lynx is the company that created Pathway to Glory, one of the few must have games on the system, Squad Command is based on the same gameplay of Pathway.

Basically, imagine an SRPG without the grid, some movement points and a weapon-based aim system, if its too hard to imagine, let's say that the gameplay is the evolution of the X-COM: UFO Defense one, a lot easier to control and a lot more dynamic.

40344_warhammer40000s_qjgenth.jpg

Each soldier can handle up to two weapons at once (in the demo, in Pathway, one soldier could carry 2 weapons and grenade kind one), when moving or shooting there are two positions, standing or low stance.
The scenario from the demo was completely destroyable, walls and objects.

Pathway really shined on the multiplayer aspect, THEN is when the game really feels like a RTS, each player had 55 secs. to move its troops. (Up to four players at once). This game is supposed to support Wi-Fi (don't really know for how many players).

I really liked the demo, I must admit that now that I think about it, Swuad Command feels a little with less detail, some minor things seem to have been removed from the Pathway gameplay, but maybe its because of the demo.
IMO this could very well be the best handheld strategy game of 2007 (and yes I know it will be released on the same year FFT and Disgaea), look for a copy, sometime before Xmas!.
warhammer.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its like Pathway then I'll have this game! Had my eye on the DS game for a bit.

Will give both a go when then finally get released.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks surprisingly good. Cheers for the heads up VVoltz.

I reckon these types of games work really well on DS, we need more
frown.gif

arcademaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since I'm a huge Dawn of War fan, I have this game on my watchlist for quite some time now. I know I'll love it! I just hope there'll be variety in playable units, and not just standard Tactical Space Marines.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just watched the trailer, Jebus Christ!!!, it has raised my wildest expectations, here is a few features to wait on the retail copy of the game:

- Full Motion Videos that tell the Ultramarines campaign, looking good!
- 15 single player missions
- Extented Pathway to Glory style of gameplay, every troop, weapon and vehicle from the WarHammer Universe.
- up to 8 people support for online games via Wi-Fi (with two teams per map)
- 2 playable factions for multiplayer action
- 9 fully destroyable multiplayer maps (3big, 3medium, 3small)

For the happy owners of a PSP, here is the downlodable demo directly from the official site of the game.

And also, check the THQ info page of the game to check the awesome trailer, also available here on GT.

For those who care, here is the only trailer released for the game so far:

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like a fun game, I'll have to download the demo for the PSP version.

I've been a fan of Warhammer for ages good to see a bunch of games coming out recently that do the series justice.

Now I just wish there was one where I got to play as Tyranids!

evadwolrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweet mother of God! DREADNAUGHT!!!! I'm 13 again
biggrin.gif
wub.gif

I'm guessing that was the PSP trailer? Awesome graphics for a handheld.

BigBob85

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bigbob85.insaneparadox.com
XP
Country
Since I'm a huge Dawn of War fan, I have this game on my watchlist for quite some time now.

Me to
tongue.gif
. I just got Winter Assult and Dark Chaos (OMG.. Dark Chaos campaign is like a big game of risk... omg omg omg).
I've been waiting for this game ever since I seen it on wikipedia. On Nov13th I got up and looked all over the net to see if anyone had ripped it, I couldnt even find the news that it was released. I checked the wiki page again, turns out I got it wrong.

Release Dates:
PSP Nov. 16 2007
NDS Dec 13 2007

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just read the IGN review and it wasn't very flattering.

Ended up giving it a 5.5

Totally subjective review, damn, and I had some respect for this guys:
QUOTEWith that said, let's get right into the inevitable sadness that comes from these mechanics. First and foremost: there's no grid. Strategy games rarely (if ever) work on consoles and portable systems when there's no grid; that's why most good strategy games can be found on the PC. Controlling Squad Command is incredibly awkward because your cursor can go anywhere and that's not good. This issue is further magnified by being restricted to using the D-pad for this task and not the analog nub, which would have offered more delicate control (at least). The nub, instead, is assigned to your camera control, which you rarely use.

The review doesn't even mentions anything about the overall experience and barely mentions how is it's multiplayer gameplay.
In any case, one thing I have to admit is that I some slight details from the Pathway of Glory gameplay were missing.
unsure.gif

Still, let's wait for the release to comment further about it, you can always blame me if you don't like it =)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IGN are usually wrong when they rate stuff.

EDIT: The game is at the ISO/ROM bush right now.
wink.gif

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope the NDS version doesn't vary too much from the PSP... Would hate to get a completely different or worse game. :S

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pffft - you're quick in bashing someone's comment. Please don't try to interpret people the way that conveniences you best.
rolleyes.gif

What I am trying to say that I'd hate to see the same differences we normally get between releases on consoles and handhelds. With the handheld version's gameplay being a mere weak derivate of the original on the consoles. Seeing the PSP is stronger on the processing power - we might as easily get this difference between a psp and nds release.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
pffft - you're quick in bashing someone's comment. Please don't try to interpret people the way that conveniences you best.Â
rolleyes.gif

What I am trying to say that I'd hate to see the same differences we normally get between releases on consoles and handhelds. With the handheld version's gameplay being a mere weak derivate of the original on the consoles. Seeing the PSP is stronger on the processing power - we might as easily get this difference between a psp and nds release.

I don't think hadrian was "bashing" your comment, IMO he was commenting his own.
And I seriously think the only difference between versions is the graphic engine (2D vs. 3D), it would be somewhat weird to alter some gameplay elements from what is suppose to be the same game on both plataforms.

I haven't seen if different companies are handling the developing for PSP and DS (like for example as seen on NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, where the PS2 version was the best), but in this case I think Red Lynx is making all the work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself