Suggestion "Warez" Rules Going Largely Ignored?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by WAUthethird, Jan 26, 2018.

1. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    As long as the linked content is homebrew (in any format), they're fine.
    Trust me, when it comes to illegal files, they're taken down without delay.

2. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Yes. I've seen hundreds of linked homebrew cia's, but not a single illegal one. Sure, I have seen posts where people have -snip-'d it, but I've never seen an actual link, so I think people get rid of them pretty fast.

3. WAUthethird
    OP

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    FreeShop? And then again, they did put some loopholes into that one...

4. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Freeshop isn't illegal, you aren't supposed to download games you don't own with it, how you use it is what makes it illegal

Quantumcat, DarthDub and VinsCool like this.
  5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    And you also need to provide it with a certain file/url for it to even do what it lets you do.

Quantumcat and wicksand420 like this.
  6. WAUthethird
    OP

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    That's why I said..

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    The program itself is legal. What you can do with it is not.
    It requires a illegal titlekeys site being linked, and only users can add it.

That makes it perfectly legal. Just like any torrent clients.

8. mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    And here I thought Reddit had the monopoly on worthless semantics...and then you post this and totally redeem yourself.

9. WAUthethird
    OP

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    That's why I said there were loopholes involved. I'm not saying that FreeShop is illegal, I'm just saying that the developers had to jump through some hoops to make those apply. The application was after all intended for piracy in the first place, even if it wasn't said.

10. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    To use FreeShop you are supposed to use your SYSTEM's keys database, NOT the one from online, it says so in the instructions, so just because it could be used for piracy it doesn't mean it's against the rules. If we go ban everything that "could" be used for piracy, we would ban ALL homebrews, as the HBL itself gives the ability to potentially dump copyrighted files.

Shadow#1, Seriel and DarthDub like this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Just curious, does unlicensed games like those poor bootleg on nes and such like somari count as homebrew, or what? I mean is not like the company consider those games officially cause they lack the proper license. :unsure:

12. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    If it's copyrighted, it's illegal, simple as that. Rip-offs are the same if copyrighted, but many aren't.

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    You know this was a rom site at one point in history lol?

14. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Don't worry, take a deep breath, relax, let the mods handle it.
    You can help by reporting posts.

15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Technically I think it is, unless theres a way to make those files without Nintendo code (I think I remember hearing this was possible).

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Jan 26, 2018
  16. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It's not the rules' (or the staff's) job to define every single word in the rules. Sure, it says not to link CIAs without saying "illegal" but the line right before that one says ""Warez" is an internet term used to describe copyrighted software, game, film, music and data piracy." The natural train of thought would lead you from "Warez is illegal junk" to "Do not share CIA files (that are illegal)."

Quantumcat likes this.
  17. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Legally speaking, CIAs (or other formats depending on the system) of free things (game updates, free apps, etc.) are NOT illegal, but even those are most often deleted by mods, so the rules are pretty well enforced.

18. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    Actually, this is rather the whole reason that whole open library libraries for difference consoles (ctrulib and libogc come to mind) are a thing because in the past people were just using the official SDK (XBox comes to mind) while violating the terms of usage and/or copyright. Further, the issue isn't whether homebrew is copyrighted or not because everything is by default in most countries nowdays. It's whether the copyright holder wishes for the content to be distributed. In the case of homebrew, where the author is linking to their own works/repositories, they're implicitly inviting you to make copies for your own personal use.

Seriously, the rules are about warez. The notion that Freeshop works by loopholes is as ridiculous as saying that bittorent, apt-get, and cp all work through loopholes. Seriously, the whole point of cp is to copy files and given that all files are copyrighted, it stands to reason that cp must be constantly being used to violate copyright, right? Oh, right, no. Personal use and general consideration have thankfully not twisted the courts to that stupidity...yet.

Quantumcat and ThoD like this.
  19. RustInPeace
    This message by RustInPeace has been removed from public view by Issac, Jan 26, 2018, Reason: One word post.
    Jan 26, 2018
  20. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Actually, about the "everything is by default copyrighted in most countries" part, that couldn't be any less true and idiotic-sounding. Nothing is copyrighted unless it's officially requested to be and it's not free either (not expensive though, like 10-20$). Homebrews are mostly not copyrighted, be it open or closed source, either because it's too much of a pain, because copyrighting something would directly involve revealing your personal information (and many in the homebrew scene don't want that) or because it's a homebrew involving something that can't be copyrighted (if it breaches official agreements for example).

21. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    In the wii hacking section, for quite a while one of the threads did contain links to copyrighted nintendo files and it was ignored and allowed to exist until a better solution came out. Every once in a while you will find something that everyone ignores or that no one knows is copyrighted or that just hasnt been reported. The staff and all the members are otherwise quite on top of it all bc no one here wants to see our community get shut down over shit like that.

THYPLEX and VinsCool like this.