Wanting to buy a microLaptop, cheaptop, mini laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by VVoltz, Jun 7, 2008.

1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    OK, yesterday on a rampage of good hearted-deeds I told my cousin she can keep my old Laptop, it is a pretty old Gateway with not too many specs that ran Windows Vista Home Premium really slow.

I've been lurking in endaget lately and I've noticed how trendy those small laptops are becoming. I mean, have you seen the eeePC from ASUS right?, it's a really small laptop. The firs models only came with flash memory as HD and Linux based OSs, now, the new models can also have Windows XP installed and a decent 80G real hard drive. Also, the Celeron processors are being replaced with the new Atom models from Intel that is suppose to be ultra cool and fairly responsive.

The true revolution of those computers in not only the size but the price, OK you get a sub par machine in terms of memory, processor and specially screen, but you also get all kinds of extra stuff like WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, an internal camera and a fairly standard battery life, all that for a pretty good price (from 350 to 550USD).

The truth I need a PC (or a MAC, but those are too expensive), in the long run, I'll probably get a good Desktop PC, but for now, as single as I am, I need something to access the Internet, post on GBATemp, check my email and probably handle my collection of DVD Backups (songs, movies, games) with an external Drive.

So eee PC owners, what do you say, are those worth it?, do you recommend a specific model?

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You should look at the competition coming out. The MSI Wind is giving more of literally everything at a lower cost than the EEE.

3. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    tambien a search of eeepc on engadget should give you almost all the competition to it.

4. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I used the 'eee 0.2' at a lan-party one time and for the size, and price, the speed is excellent. Don't expect it to be a miracle device, although the guy who owned it was very keen to show how well it ran World of Warcraft for a $500 handheld laptop. I just assume that if it can run WoW decently it will be able to do everything you have mentioned well enough to satisfy you. It truly is amazing how small they are, and with the larger hdd and upgraded proc it will be even more satisfying.

5. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The Asus EEE PC 4 GB Surf Model, is worth the money. Just buy a 8 GB Memory card because the Asus Surf model comes with 512 mbs.

6. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    Well, I've been checking my options so far and I think I'm going for this one. I'll put it XP afterwards. Don't like Linux.

7. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    This review of the MSI wind may interest you. I seems pretty positive from what I read.

Pictures as well.

Haven't really done any research on the mini-note, so I can't comment on that.

8. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When it comes to these devices I tend to avoid absolutely anything that uses a Via chip. I have a Flipstart at the moment but you might have heard they no longer manufacture these. I have never heard of the MSI Wind but this looks to be very interesting. Apparently the specs are:

-10" 1024x640 LED-backlit screen
    -80 GB hard drive
    -1 GB DDR2-667 RAM
    -1.6 Ghz Intel Atom CPU
    -1.3 MP camera,
    -WiFi b/g
    -Memory card reader
    -3 USB ports
    -VGA port
    -Ethernet port
    -3-cell for Linux (around 3.5 to 4 hours)
    -6-cell for XP (7 hours)
    The Linux version sells for $399 while the XP version sells for $550.

9. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    Interesting info. But I've searched a bit and I believe Winds are not available in the US yet, or are they?

10. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

they will be soon

11. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    We should also keep an eye on the EEE PC 901, 1000 and 1000H models.

12. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Check all of your weekly ads for local stores, and get a nice full size Dell for $500.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    For 500USD you could easily get a decent desktop system.

14. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    Well, I don't want a "standard" desktop PC, I want a really GOOD one, rite now, I don't even have space where it would go in my room, so a laptop is my best option (I am getting a desktop, but next year, and I want a really good one, like a XPS)

Now I realize that yes, one of those "cheaptops" is really like a sub par laptop, you basically pay for the tiny-ness and th portability.

How are those eee PC surf models?

15. Squampy

Newcomer Squampy Newbie

United States
    Alienware is the best

16. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Alienware doesn't make micro-laptops. And recommending them as a purchase is like telling your friend that they should pay $20 a gallon for gas.

As for the 'eee' I only used the model 0.2 which is older now and used flash memory and has a much slower processor than the new models. It ran just fine for surfing the web, the keyboard takes some getting used to, but other than that the size is crazy. And for basic programs and functions they work wonders. The model 2 plays WoW.... so anything less intensive than that will be just fine.

17. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    1) Alien ware laptops/desktops are overpriced shits.
    2) Alien Ware doesn't make MINI Laptops, Micro Laptops, etc.

18. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is the clamshell design really necessary? I would personally suggest the WiBrain. For $500 you get a 1.2 GHz VIA C7-M ULV processor, 512MB of DDR2 RAM, 30GB HDD (or SSD, but obviously not that much space), builtin webcam, fantastic screen (1024 X 600 on a 4.8" screen) and all in a small Ubuntu running package only slightly larger than a PSP. Mine should be here by the end of the week and I am PSYCHED!

BTW, it's fairly easy to install Windows if you really want. Getting the Linux models saves you $150, but you don't get bluetooth.

EDIT: The VIA processor is almost equivalent in performance to the Intel A110 at 800MHz. The VIA is slightly better.

19. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I would wait for something in the UMPC market a tad less fugly

20. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    while a good suggestion, I think I would like something more like a regular Laptop, with USB ports and stuff.
    I was checking DELL's outlet store and there a really good models for less than 600USD, hell I might wait for a month, add 200USD and get a refurbished XPS for 800.
    Check the store here.