OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since the homebrew scene started, there have always been a few things I would like to see developed.

One of which would be a DVD player. Does anyone know if this would be possible? A DVD channel would be really cool, and would help me get rid of one more device taking up room next to my TV.

Something else would be some of the head tracking software ported over directly to the Wii. Homebrew games exploiting this could be cool x1000.

What feasible homebrew stuff would you guys like to see?

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DVD player would be cool. However, i think the DVD drive in the wii is not quite the same as the one from a DVD player. I am afraid playing DVDs would reduce the life of the dvd-drive quite fast.

However, i am sure most media applications will incorporate USB support as soon as the ehci driver (USB2.0) is written by THE guys from libogc
smile.gif

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that DVD player while would be awesome, would not be a good idea for the wii dvd drive lol.
However one thing i would LOVE to have is USB 2.0 support for a hard drive to store EVERYTHING, homebrew, emulators, MP3 music for the players we have, wads etc.
And to go along with it id like to see maybe a Divx or xvid player from said USB hardrive, with a nice GUI using wiimote pointer (sorry but mfeplayer is tough to navigate and 1 short movie per sd card sucks lol)

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
I agree that DVD player while would be awesome, would not be a good idea for the wii dvd drive lol.
However one thing i would LOVE to have is USB 2.0 support for a hard drive to store EVERYTHING, homebrew, emulators, MP3 music for the players we have, wads etc.
I believe they're USB 1.1 ports. No 2.0

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's drive is just as resillient as any other drive, but DVD is a dead format.

The Wii's USB ports, are in fact, USB 2. Nintendo has to enable high speed transfer through the IOS first, though.

For those using the MFE, TCP or USB support should be coming soon.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
The Wii's drive is just as resillient as any other drive, but DVD is a dead format.

The Wii's USB ports, are in fact, USB 2. Nintendo has to enable high speed transfer through the IOS first, though.

This would be awesome, but i would still like to see USB 2.0 in it, cause correct me if im wrong but an xvid or divx video clip would not function well/proper speed on usb 1.1

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
This would be awesome, but i would still like to see USB 2.0 in it, cause correct me if im wrong but an xvid or divx video clip would not function well/proper speed on usb 1.1

Depends on the encoding.

Most DVDs that are transcoded to XViD run at around 900KBps, while full speed USB 1.0 operates at 1.5MBps. So, technically, USB 1.0 could handle MPEG4.

High definition videos, however, would require USB 2.0, but the Wii could probably only handle 720P... and that's with full utilization of the GPU.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
teq said:

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:
teq said:

Uh... thanks for that...

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fischju said:
Skater4599 said:
teq said:

lol

back on topic i remeber seeing a crappy version on sdgecko of a dvd player a while back but is it really that had to have a dvd player loafing around the telly. plus you should invest in a blu ray player (ps3)
smile.gif

Mysticcal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know if a media extender application in wad form is gonna be released? like, not used through the internet channel? like a full blown media player with network capabilities?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have my 360 for my media stuf but I'd like to see Wii Miidia (a media player for the wii) to be released.

The project got held up because the creator wanted USB mass Storage Support.

A beta would be nice to see.......
frown.gif

Mysticcal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it seems stupid to have usb support when network support is ideally better in every way, for those of use that have servers / computers we can just stream from it rather then connecting a media storage device to watch it. makes more sense imo. screw portable media. tcp/ip is the way to go.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye-guys-girls-others.653902/#post-10401826