Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There still isn't a patch out for HG/SS and frankly I'm convinced that there won't be one. The game absolutely sucks on the R4 because I have to restart it every 10 minutes or so and save very often. So I'm thinking of upgrading my 2 year old flash cart to a better one..

Do any of you guys have recommendations as to which one to buy? I was thinking the CycloDS because I've heard good things about this. Also, where would be the best place to buy from?

Thanks!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hm... well, Even though my dream of owning a DSi XL (I DO need new PC parts goshdanit) I still prefer Acekard 2i (WITH AKAIO, disclaimers, lol) over cyclo, better UI, nicer skinnability, fresh tone, and faster loads keep me drawn to it... not to mention the probability (since I have not hard proof tested) of less battery consuming than my hardware 1.0 cyclo.

I am "rich" enough to own both... sorry cyclofriends, I love(d) my cyclo but the speed and better UI of acekard 2i has swoon me away...

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
CycloDS if you're rich and never intend to get a DSi, otherwise get an AceKard2i and use AKAIO.

If I'm rich? Lol doesn't it cost like $45 or around there..that's the price of 1 DS game I'm pretty sure it's still worth it to own hundreds of DS games for the price of one. Oh and yea, I don't intend on getting a DSi there's no point in buying one to me.

How much is the Acekard in comparison? And what's all this AKAIO talk about I don't understand it @_@

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An AceKard2i should set you back no more than $15. AKAIO is a custom firmware for AceKards and is possibly the best firmware for any flashcart.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
An AceKard2i should set you back no more than $15. AKAIO is a custom firmware for AceKards and is possibly the best firmware for any flashcart.

Oh so it's a matter of $15 vs. $45?

Well price is no object to me I bought the R4 because it was cheap before and look at where I am now
frown.gif
I just want the best of the best..what does the Acekard have over the Cyclo?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Sailor said:
Depravo said:
CycloDS if you're rich and never intend to get a DSi, otherwise get an AceKard2i and use AKAIO.

If I'm rich? Lol doesn't it cost like $45 or around there..that's the price of 1 DS game I'm pretty sure it's still worth it to own hundreds of DS games for the price of one.

What a sensible reply, people tend to forget this. The CycloDS is a great, well supported cart, so if you really want 1 go for it.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Sailor said:
Depravo said:

Well price is no object to me I bought the R4 because it was cheap before and look at where I am now
frown.gif

Technically, nothing. AK2i doesn't have RTS AFAIK, and Cyclo has some extra features, but most people (including my self), don't think its worth it.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
Sailor said:
Depravo said:

frown.gif

Technically, nothing. AK2i doesn't have RTS AFAIK, and Cyclo has some extra features, but most people (including my self), don't think its worth it.

Alright so what I got out of this thread:

CycloDS is the best supported flashcart
Acekard 2ki is also very nice but a peg below the CycloDS
Acekard2ki is much cheaper than the Cyclo

So far I'm leaning towards the CycloDS because of the support team and how well it's held up. Dunno too much about the Acekard though and the AKAIO sounds like a hassle (though it's probably not?) I also heard you don't need to patch individual games for the CycloDS which is very nice
smile.gif

I mean, it's only $45 I'm spending for a few years of entertainment. A VERY good investment IMO. Now I need to figure out where to buy from
tongue.gif

Kokorazashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol, installing the AKAIO firmware is as simple as dragging 2 folders onto a Micro SD Card. BTW, the AKAIO firmware is developed by the GBAtemp team (I think), and if it isn't it gets the updates on GBAtemp as soon as they come out. The Acekard2i is much cheaper and I've yet to come across any problems with it. It's well supported and very good overall. Why wouldn't you?

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kokorazashi said:
Lol, installing the AKAIO firmware is as simple as dragging 2 folders onto a Micro SD Card. BTW, the AKAIO firmware is developed by the GBAtemp team (I think), and if it isn't it gets the updates on GBAtemp as soon as they come out. The Acekard2i is much cheaper and I've yet to come across any problems with it. It's well supported and very good overall. Why wouldn't you?

What is the AKAIO firmware all about though, I mean like what is it used for? It's a really close tie between the CycloDS and the Acekard2ki ATM..just wondering but where do people buy the Acekard's from?

Oh and BTW..anyone who's ordered from 0shippingzone: Do they sell the CycloDS in BLACK? All there pictures have the White cyclo on it but I have a black DSL.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sailor said:
ZeWarrior said:
Sailor said:
Depravo said:

frown.gif

So far I'm leaning towards the CycloDS because of the support team and how well it's held up. Dunno too much about the Acekard though and the AKAIO sounds like a hassle (though it's probably not?) I also heard you don't need to patch individual games for the CycloDS which is very nice
smile.gif

I mean, it's only $45 I'm spending for a few years of entertainment. A VERY good investment IMO. Now I need to figure out where to buy from
tongue.gif

I would say that acekard thanks to normatt has better support than cyclo, pokemon worked on AKAIO before cycloDS. Also warioware diy is supposedly fixed on latest build.

Last great thing for me is the GUI, the slow, clunky, and touch mis-registering UI of cyclo lost to smooth, fast and clearly differiating on touches by area of acekard was so satisfying.

Oh, and also, everyone are saying to get 2i just because 2.1 has really bad batches out, and 2i works on phats and lites anyway.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sumea said:
Sailor said:
ZeWarrior said:
Sailor said:
Depravo said:

frown.gif

smile.gif

tongue.gif

I would say that acekard thanks to normatt has better support than cyclo, pokemon worked on AKAIO before cycloDS. Also warioware diy is supposedly fixed on latest build.

Last great thing for me is the GUI, the slow, clunky, and touch mis-registering UI of cyclo lost to smooth, fast and clearly differiating on touches by area of acekard was so satisfying.

Oh, and also, everyone are saying to get 2i just because 2.1 has really bad batches out, and 2i works on phats and lites anyway.

So there's no game that can't work on the Acekard? How does the patching work for it btw do you have to patch games separately?

And there's an acekard 2.1?? Hmm that's the latest model I presume.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sailor said:
Sumea said:
Sailor said:
ZeWarrior said:
Depravo said:

frown.gif

smile.gif

tongue.gif

So there's no game that can't work on the Acekard? How does the patching work for it btw do you have to patch games separately?

And there's an acekard 2.1?? Hmm that's the latest model I presume.

Practically every game works, at least the most popular ones, since like 0.05% of people play shovelware, but that should work perfectly too.

You don't need to patch anything, it's exactly the same as R4, just drag and drop, bam, it's working (note that you may have to change some settings for some games that present problems like the newest Warioware, but that's only once).

AK 2.1 is AK 2, but with a new revision. It's got some problems, so get the AK 2i, it's better.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
AK2.1 is not being manufactured right now and there's a decent chance you will get a defective one.

AK2i is like $3 more and is pretty good except for some of them misaligning with the contacts a little.

Games are frequently fixed in AKAIO by loader updates you can update quickly over wifi with your ds, or you can download them from akaio.gbatemp.net/nloaders

if you want to use a separate patch for a game if one is available before Normmatt and Smiths can fix it, prepatched roms may work without doing anything, most games with separate fixes include instructions.

Just buy an AK2i.

http://www.0shippingzone.com/acekard-acekard-p-319.html

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
Practically every game works, at least the most popular ones, since like 0.05% of people play shovelware, but that should work perfectly too.

You don't need to patch anything, it's exactly the same as R4, just drag and drop, bam, it's working (note that you may have to change some settings for some games that present problems like the newest Warioware, but that's only once).

AK 2.1 is AK 2, but with a new revision. It's got some problems, so get the AK 2i, it's better.

So once I get the AK2i in the mail I just install AKAIO and all the games and that's it? What does the AKAIO do exactly or is it just a file that goes on the SD card.

Also, is it worth it to pay a website an extra $1 to upgrade the firmware for the AK2i to 1.4?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello