Want to start "decoding" files.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiFan2012, Mar 2, 2010.

1. WiiFan2012
    OP

WiiFan2012 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2009
    United States
    I would like to start decoding Wii files to program a hacking program, like the SZS Modifier.

Where do you recommend I begin?

Thanks!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what level we are playing at here but I will be assuming you can decode the files from the iso into a "plaintext" format.

Wii standards vary a bit from older systems owing to increased memory capabilities and the like, still many are very similar to the GC stuff which has a fair few documented formats:
    Chapter 15.
    http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/index.html

Many games use "SDK" formats (in fact of those that I have pulled apart or others have documented it is a surprisingly high number compared to other systems past and present) so you can infer some stuff from those projects. This path is very perilous though- witness much of the DS, early DS stuff used a lot of SDK like data which then shifted later in the life of the DS leaving several people in an awkward position.
    An easy way to see what I am talking about would be to look at the DS formats:
    http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...=36&lang=en
    See how most will have a magic string identifier, file length, header data and so on in approximately the same order.

Compression will likely be an issue on the wii, most is a variant of LZSS, RLE, huffman or one of the many other "common" formats.

I might also suggest looking into the DS as hacking there is far more developed that the wii.

After that it is relatively simple coding, just pick a language that supports binary manipulation easily as not too much can be done with "known" data structure languages.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice