Want to sell my Wii U, but I have some problems...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by PabloMK7, Mar 4, 2017.

1. PabloMK7
    OP

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Hello there!
    I want to sell my Wii U to get some money to buy the switch, but I have some problems and any advice would be very helpful.
    When I bought my wiiu (32 GB), it came with Mario Kart 8 preinstalled + a gift code for Splatoon, the problem is that I want to remove my NNID from the console because I also use it with my 3DS. For that, I need to format the console because afaik, that's the only way to log out from my account (why Nintendo ;_;). Doing that will remove Mario Kart 8 + Splatoon, but since MK8 is preinstalled I thought I could simply download it again. However, you need a NNID to enter the eshop, and only my NNID will work because the
    "only one NNID per console" policy. So to sum up, unlinking my NNID by formatting the console will cause the loss of the games, but also the possibility to redownload them.

My questions are: (with or without homebrew)
    Can I unlink my NNID without formatting?
    Is it possible to access the eshop without an NNID?

I know that I can just use WUPInstaller to reinstall the games, but only as a last resource.

2. Gadd

Gadd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    Ok, whether you can pull this off or not, I have to say this is the reason I NEVER buy games in digital form, always in physical, so that I have resale rights and no drama/complications. They day companies start going digital download only is probably the day I become a pirate and never look back. Sorry, but ownership rights are too important to me.

3. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    You might have to just install it with WUPInstaller. Its not like your are selling it with illeagel games. Its supposed to have mario kart 8 installed.

Kevinpuerta likes this.
  4. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    I would advise against this. If Nintendo does find a way for wup installed games to be unplayable, it would be a huge disservice to whoever bought it from you.You may just have to sell it without the games if there isn't a way to get them back.

5. Gnarmagon

Gnarmagon Noob <3

Dec 12, 2016
    Germany
    dump the tickets ?
    and then you can download it "legally" from Nintendo Servers....

6. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    That's no excuse, would you do the same with a PS4 as well which games are tied to your account instead of console?

EDIT: Your games can be redownloaded later on another Wii U if you contact Nintendo claiming you lost your previous console, they'll transfer it to your new system if you decide to get another one day.

7. PabloMK7
    OP

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Upon research I've discovered that you can link up to 12 NNIDs to a wii u, and since MK8 is preinstalled I'll be able to download it again :)

8. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Either there are twp ways. One a bit more risky and one more secure.

Risky : Use a fresh brand new OS system image to flash your Wii U Nand and make it "fresh".

Secure : Use FORMAT SYSTEM from official Wii U Settings.

9. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    im sorry to be off topic but where do you plan on selling it on here or on some other site because i was looking at getting another wii u so im just curious what you would want for it

10. PabloMK7
    OP

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    I've never sold anything online nor I can right now so I'm only accepting cash. Sorry :(
    I want to sell it for 200€

11. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    ok thanks anyways man besides i couldn't have bought it your in Europe didn't realize that