Homebrew Want To Run Dolphin - What Computer Should I buy?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people run Dolphin to see if their ISOs are good, not to actually play Wii games. For the money you'd spend on your computer, you could just as easily buy a cheaper, not-so-fancy computer (like a laptop), a huge hard drive for games (I've seen 1TB drives run for around $130), and a Wii to softmod.

jdev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you want a new desktop, you should definitely build your own. Assuming you're marginally computer literate, although, if you want to run emulators, especially more modern ones, you pretty much have to be, so we're going to make that assumption (note: building your own computer means you won't get customer support from a PC manufacturer, so you'll have to do most of your own troubleshooting, but you should have a warranty on individual parts, if you buy them new).

Now we're done with disclaimers, I'll post some links that'll get the basics done:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347249,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2346481,00.asp

Those are pretty good for walking you through building a PC, but they're both really low end (400 and 500 dollars, respectively, and the first uses integrated graphics). My recommendation would be to spring for a better (or best) motherboard, since it's the hardest piece to upgrade, and if you buy one that is better than the rest of your PC, you can upgrade the more important parts later, according to your needs. I'd recommend using those guides as a template for building your PC (and it has pictures!), and picking the parts that are either more cost effective or flat out more powerful, if cost isn't an issue for you. For modern PC games, a good video card and a lot of RAM is more important than a CPU, but I'm willing to take the word of the person in this topic who said emulators need better CPUs (that seems to make sense to me). If you want to play PC games and use a Wii emulator, you'll want a decent graphics card, but if not you could probably skimp a little on what graphics card you use, though I'm not sure if you'll want to use onboard graphics with your mobo. I can't really give more specific instructions without knowing your needs better, but, in general, computers are most cost-efficient around a thousand bucks.

Oh, and make sure your powersupply can handle all the components you put in. This may be helpful, but you'll want to double check the numbers:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
======= System Requirements =======
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows (2000/XP/Vista or higher) / Linux / Apple Mac OS X (Intel version).
* Processor: Any Fast CPU with SSE2 supported (recommended at least 2Ghz). Dual Core for speed boost.
* Graphics: Any graphics card that supports Direct3D 9 or OpenGL 2.1. See: *link*

======= Runtime Library Requirements =======
Dolphin needs you have to have the libraries listed below installed.

[Windows]
-MS Visual C++ Runtime 2008 SP1: This fixes the "side by side" / "application config" & model errors
Microsoft VC++ 2008 SP1 Redist x86 - For 32bit Windows
Microsoft VC++ 2008 SP1 Redist x64 - For 64bit Windows

-The DirectX November 2008 Runtime: This fixes the plugin loading errors
Microsoft DirectX Updater

[Linux]
-install libbluetooth: fixes the "PANIC failed to load plugin Plugins/libPlugin_wiimote.so" error for linux users

======= Video Card Requirements =======
You must have a video card that support OpenGL 2.x fully or Direct3D 9.0c.

Note: The Direct3D9 video plugin is old/outdated and it looks like it doesn't work anymore. We recommend using the Dolphin OpenGL Video plugin for better video emulation.

Note: Make sure your drivers are up to date!
[Driver Sites]
NVIDIA Drivers
ATI Drivers

[Models that Dolphin likes]
- NVIDIA GeForce 6 to 9 Series and GeForce 200 Series
--* GeForce 6 Series
--* GeForce 7 Series
--* GeForce 8 Series
--* GeForce 9 Series
--* GeForce 200 Series
- ATI Radeon R200 to R700 Series
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 300
--* Radeon 420
--* Radeon 520
--* Radeon 600
--* Radeon 700

[Model thats Dolphin doesn't like]
- Any Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) Chipset (These cards do not support OpenGL 2.x fully)
--* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
- Older NVIDIA Chipsets
--* GeForce 256
--* GeForce 2
--* GeForce 3
--* GeForce 4
--* GeForce FX Series
- ATI Radeon R200 and Older
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 100
--* Radeon 200
--* RIVA TNT