Want To Run Dolphin - What Computer Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by wingzrow, Oct 12, 2009.

Oct 12, 2009
  1. wingzrow
    OP

Member wingzrow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm heading to bestbuy this week to buy a computer that can run Dolphin. Can anyone recommend me any specific computer? I've heard alienware is good. Also any tips on what I should be looking for when making my purchase would help greatly.

2. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    Alienware = EXPENSIVE - £1000's

Build one from the bones up, make it as fast as you want and cheaper than getting one ready build from a shop

3. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    It would be cheaper to buy a Wii and hard drive then a computer that can run most games in dolphin successfully.

4. wingzrow
    OP

United States
    Yeah but it's been 6 years and i need a new computer so i figure why not. I would love to upscale wii games to 720 and 1080P. Not to mention playing dreamcast and ps2 games.

5. Keylogger

Member Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

France
    I can run Dolphin at full speed with Anti-aliasing x16 and in 1080p with the current config: (PCSX2 also runs at full speed)

-Intel Core i7
    -nVidia GTX 280 graphic card
    -An Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
    -8GB DDR3 OCZ - PC3 12800 (at 1600Mhz)

You don't need the same config to run Dolphin at full speed.

Take a high-end motherboard with a GOOD CHIPSET.
    A Core i7 or a good Core 2 Quad is OK.
    The most important thing is the graphic card! Mine is the more expensive piece in my computer!

And take a good quality RAM with high frequence! 2GB of PC3-12800 is better than 4GB of PC3-8500

6. ca_michelbach

Member ca_michelbach GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    TBH dolphin isn't worth the trouble. Sure it can play some wii games but what's the point? It's cheaper to get a wii than the hardware needed to run dolphin well and the wii's so easy to mod you can play back-ups on it within a few hours. Not worth the hassle imo.

7. ndstuff

Member ndstuff GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    A strong CPU is the most important factor in Wii/GC emulation. i7 would be perfect, but any 4.0+ GHz dual core will produce similiar results as the emulator supports up to 2 cores.

8. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    just buy a 2nd hand GCN from the bay of E

9. Dmon84

Member Dmon84 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Go and get a Wii instead of all this crap. Thats the real deal. I have a brand new PC from Work, which is able to emulate GC/WII and Ps2. But after a few mins of testing i was sitting in front of my real consoles to play. It's just more fun, and almost every Game runs perfect!!!

10. Zaide

Member Zaide GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For emulation? No, it's not. The CPU is. You still need a good graphics card, but that isn't likely to be what slows you down if you are using an emulator.

11. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    I am using a Mac Pro(I have Win XP via Boot Camp) and the games are not really playable... they are laggy and stuff.

My setup:

2x Intel Xeon Quad Core @ 2,8Ghz
    4GB Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512 Mb

Its way better to play on the Wii itself than any emulation could possibly be...

12. Sachka

Member Sachka GBAtemp Regular

France
    Listen. I got it running in 3 computers in my house. All you need is FULL POWER in just 2 cores
    Fancy graphics or quads are not really necesary.

To run at full speed I use 3.0 ghz [​IMG] core 2 duo (e8400)
    AMD quad core at 3.0 ghz Does the very same thing to the same games
    I also use 4GB of ram as minimum, but reaching the 3ghz cap is the first goal, even overcloacking it at 3.5 wont be THAT different.
    Of course if you wanna output 1080p you need a video card with fancy stuff [​IMG] but one of my pc got a HD3450 and I run Zelda at full speed.

Dolphin uses ONLY 2 cores in the 64bit version, one for graphics alone.

I do emulation for wad testing and messing with the nand. You can even boot wiiware with dolphin ^^ but I honestly dont like to play games with it... I mean for serious gaming i use my Wii

13. wingzrow
    OP

United States
    Looking into building one from the ground up again. Can anyone direct me to a good idiot proof guide on building this thing?

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    your buying a new computer just to run dolphin? Hope you got a lot of $ cos your gonna need an unholy godly computer to run it properly! [​IMG]

15. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    It's not hard to get a really fast computer for cheap if you build it yourself. I intend to build a new PC soon myself. It's possible to get something fairly cutting edge for around $800. Core i5's are extremely fast and good processors for $200. There are also the Phenom II line, which i'd consider as well, coming in a wide array of flavors. [​IMG] Dolphin is primarily CPU-based, meaning the CPU is the most important aspect for speed. GPU is important too, but it's possible to get full speed on something like a 9800GT. Even at high definition.

Dolphin is something I'd like to play around with. I'm not building my PC FOR Dolphin, because I have a ton of other uses for a new one. But I will use it sometimes. Mario Galaxy is one of the more powerful Wii games. And the only processors that play it at a consecutive full speed are the Core i5/i7 processors. I've seen it played on Core 2 Duos, Core 2 Quads, Phenom II's, and the rest. The only ones that have been able to play Mario Galaxy fullspeed all of the time seems to be the Core i5/i7. Overclocked that is. Some wii games like the Conduit won't get fullspeed on ANY current gen processor, unless the Dolphin team decides to optimize their emulator. They are currently more interested in making it as accurate as possible.

As it is, Core i5's are decent priced considering the fact that they are almost on par with the i7's. I'd get one if it were me, and I really might actually get one. It's either that, or a cheaper Phenom II.

BTW, I do know that Dolphin only uses two cores of your CPU, but the reason i suggested Core i5 (despite being a quad core) is that it is clock for clock faster than the old Core 2 series, even at the same clock speed. So if you play a Wii game on a Core 2 Duo clocked at 2.66ghz, and then on a Core i5 2.66ghz, the i5 will get speeds several times faster than the Core 2 Duo processor. The number of cores isn't making the difference, but the newer and better technology is.

16. Bladexdsl

Australia
    lol be cheaper just to buy a wii big deal if dolphin looks better it's not worth it you have to pretty much overclock your pc to the killing point to play it! not to mention you need to run cables all over the place from your graphic card into your tv if you want to play it on a big screen it's not worth it.

17. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I think it's still a bit early for GameCube/PS2/Wii emulation. The hardware is going to be really expensive and still there are going to be bugs. Like others have said, get the real thing.

I mean, think about it, instead of buying an $800 PC you could buy a $200 Wii, a $300 PS3, a $200 PC and a $100 PS2. Just use the PC for internet browsing, writing documents and such and use your consoles for gaming.

Dreamcast emulation should be pretty doable on any recent computer though. My PC is over 5 years old and it can run games like Sonic Adventure just fine.

18. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    For me, I wouldn't be actually buying the games to play on consoles. Once you get into modding the things to play backup copies and spending money on the blank disks and all, it would be a little bit of a hassle and a cost even then. I prefer gaming on my computer, even though my current one is old. I'm personally due for a monumental upgrade anyways.

And there are a ton of PS2, GC, and Wii games that do run perfectly on Dolphin. Even on cheaper hardware, you can get PS2 and GC games running really nice. And you can't really even play commercial backup GC games either on the original Gamecube system, the disks are problematic. You have to have a special burner even to read the disk, and you can't play from a burned disk or anything on a gamecube.

19. Bladexdsl

Australia
    usb drives don't need discs [​IMG]

20. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ever heard of modchips and case mods? The modchip enables the gamecube to read backups and the case mod allows you to put normal DVDs into the drive. There is also no special burner needed to burn the games, reading could be done with the "special" LG drives but for this matter you can use a Wii or the Internet.