Hacking Want to reset my console and re-hack with Haxchi. Please answer few questions for me.

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Hi, I have a US Wii U currently hacked with Haxchi. My vWii is also hacked according to https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

I want to reset my console and rehack again due to some reasons. It is working perfectly fine but I need to make it is safe to do so and clear few questions before doing so. Would really appreciate if you would help me.

1. Should I uninstall Haxchi or DS VC game before resetting my console?
2. After resetting will I be able to log into my Nintendo account and redownload Brain Age so that I can reinstall Haxchi again?
3. I currently have few injects and backups installed on external HDD. If I unplug the HDD before resetting, will those games work after re-hacking? Or Do I need to format that HDD and reinstall again?
4. Is there any risk of bricking my Wii U by resetting and rehacking? I hear from another thread that tickets remain on Wii U and trying to install CBHC might end up in brick. Can anyone give me clear answer on this?
5. Currently I am on 5.5.3 U, and haven't upgraded to 5.5.5 yet. I hear Mocha or some homebrew has problem on 5.5.5. Is that true or just false? If I don't want to update but also access Eshop to download Brain Age, Can I run browser exploit to access Homebrew Launcher then run NNU-Patcher to access Eshop and download Brain Age so that I could remain 5.5.3? Or should I just update to 5.5.5?
6. What about hacked vWii side? I know that vWii is delicate and easy to brick. Will resetting Wii U also reset and delete things on vWii side? If vWii side is reset, do hacks remain? Is there any risk rehacking?
7. What happens to SD card? Are there any files or folder that need to be deleted on SD?

Please help a brother, guys.
Also I think a thread with this kind of info is good to have on the forum. I wasn't able to find much on the internet.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The "I want to have a fresh start" has caused a lot of problems. Generally speaking "Format System Memory" or "Factory Reset" or whatever you want to call it is asking for a lot of work and sometimes asking for data loss and trouble.

On Nintendo consoles all "Format System Memory" does is:
  • Throw away user profile(s)
  • Throw away all installed games/software with their save data (while obviously keeping the system titles intact).
  • Change encryption key for software on SD/USB
Anyway, to the best of my (limited Wii U) knowledge:
:!: If you have Cold Boot Haxchi (CBHC) formatting the console will brick 100%. I know of no problems when using regular Haxchi.
  1. Again: If you have CBHC, you must use the CBHC uninstaller before formatting to prevent a brick. Regular Haxchi is just a normal title that gets wiped like any other game.
  2. Why not? If you have your password ready and the account is working (not banned due to online cheating or whatever).
  3. I don't think so. Haven't tried on Wii U myself. On DSi (exported DSiWare bin files), Wii (exported WiiWare/Virtual Console Channels) and 3DS (games installed on SD), all data the official firmware puts on removable storage media becomes unusable due to changed encryption key.
  4. Bricking by reset: Only if CBHC isn't properly uninstalled to my knowledge. The purchased DS title is linked to your NNID. As soon as you log into your NNID the title can be redownloaded from eShop and will have a legit ticket. I don't see how using CBHC after formatting would cause a brick when following all rules.
  5. No idea if there are any problems with Mocha (not using it). The Wii U guide doesn't mention any problems. Can't answer this questions.
  6. "Format System Memory" will probably throw away all installed games as well as the Homebrew Channel. (c)IOS should remain untouched and reinstalling HB Channel should work. We now have good ways for unbricking vWii in case there are any problems.
  7. I don't think the Wii U operating system is very interested in the SD. vWii Channels copied to the SD will most likely not work after formatting.

It can't be said often enough: Anybody using CBHC must run the uninstaller before "Format System Memory"!

Good luck and have fun!

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
So i have set up emunand on my SD through USB loader GX. Will that most likely become unusable?

Backed up Wii U and Wii saves would have no problem right?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
It can't be said often enough: Anybody using CBHC must run the uninstaller before "Format System Memory"!
And that can continue to be said in the future. Because there are always people who have "accidentally" flattened their Wii U, even though the guide also says to use the uninstaller beforehand instead of simply formatting the console. But we can't force people to read, right?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have set up emunand on my SD through USB loader GX. Will that most likely become unusable?

Backed up Wii U and Wii saves would have no problem right?

no, it should be usable. if you backed up your saves, you should be good then. note: formatting doesn't remove tickets, which are on the slc partition. I think it only does stuff to the mlc partition, the internal flash memory where games are saved, as well as usb. I think the seeprom is increased by one when you format, so the usb games will not work either.

Reactions: Nomado

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, you don't have format the console to rehack with haxchi. just delete the game, or if you have cbhc, do the above. I've done this before with cbhc, when I changed from using yoshi's island to brain age. I had no issues. :)

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
And that can continue to be said in the future. Because there are always people who have "accidentally" flattened their Wii U, even though the guide also says to use the uninstaller beforehand instead of simply formatting the console. But we can't force people to read, right?
I wonder how this brick happened:
"Installing Monster Hunter 3 update to sysNAND using Wupinstaller y-mod (has disc)"

Is there any reason for this?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how this brick happened:
"Installing Monster Hunter 3 update to sysNAND using Wupinstaller y-mod (has disc)"

Is there any reason for this?

dunno. it shouldn't be. the system software is on a different partition than the sysnand internal storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards