Want to play newer games on 3.55 PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ninjageekgamer, May 15, 2019.

1. ninjageekgamer
    OP

ninjageekgamer Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I have a PS3 Slim (Serial CHECK-2501A) with FW 3.55

I installed Multiman like 9 years ago and was able to update it without issue.

I recently dusted it off to play all the Metal Gear Games again. I've since lost/sold my PS1, PS2 and GC despite still having all the original game discs. My PS3 can't play PS2 games but with Metal Gear Collections I figured I should be able to play the whole series on the PS3

I decided to pick up the Metal Gear Legacy Collection has MG, MG SS, MGS1, MG2, MG3, MG4 and MGSPW.

I have the original which I planned to just play but can't because I need to upgrade the firmware to play it

The errori reads that I need to update to 4.40 or higher.

I have the backups of Metal Gear Rising, MGS V Phantom Pain and Ground Zero.

https://imgur.com/2IH9o7W

When I try to run them I get errors. Maybe my file structure is all messed up?

In any case. I've been out of the game for like 9 years. How do I play 4.40 games now?

2. lucks

lucks GBAtemp Fan

Jul 18, 2015
    Canada
    You update your ps3

Install rebug 4.84 rex on top of your 3.55 fw via recovery

You can play some ps2 games with cobra (low compatibility, some glitches etc.. You can find some configs online)

Everything is changed, your ps3 is fully hacked now

3. ninjageekgamer
    OP

ninjageekgamer Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I should update to 4.84? Are you sure.. is there a guide you know of I can follow?

4. The3rdknuckles

The3rdknuckles GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Youtube
    can help you out. Just look up ps3 8.84 jailbreak

5. lucks

lucks GBAtemp Fan

Jul 18, 2015
    Canada
    Don t trust youtube!!!

Download rebug 4.84 rex and follow sony instructions to prepare your usb, then follow instructions to reboot to recovery and install from there.
    It s easy

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, you can update directly to another CFW (whether or not your 3.55 console currently has one)
    The instructions are on Sony's website, the standard ones for updating via USB or (if your console has one) the builtin card reader

Also:
    - the JB (folder) format - the one in your screenshot - is the worst format for backups when it comes to compatibility, pkg (for PSN titles) or correctly-made iso (for disc backups) are superior
    - there now are Cobra cfws, the same Cobra that made paid cfws back in the day supporting iso loading (for PS1/2/3/P games), plugins (Webman Mod, ...), etc - but now it's open source and most independent cfws have a version with Cobra, which is the one you probably want as a general gamer

Last edited by Ryccardo, May 16, 2019