want to know if notebook cpu and gpu fan is controlled well

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zalda, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i want to know if the cpu and gpu temperatures and fans are set up well, but i didn't find it in the bios. where and with what application can i properly control them?

this is my notebook

on my other pc i have a pretty good application from nvidia to control the gpu that does the job very well. but on here i can't find it anywhere.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    SpeedFan is what I use to check temperatures and other "exotics" of the PC/Laptop.

As for controlling the ATI GPU... you can try the Catalyst Control Center that comes with the drivers. For me, the option is greyed out (on my desktop), probably because my graphics card doesn't support it. I wouldn't recommend changing the settings for a laptop though.

3. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    ccc doesn't give any information about my gpu cpu, too bad [​IMG]

but does speedfan automatically control it too?

4. Originality

United Kingdom
    It can provide control over fan speeds, but that's purely dependant on it finding open access to the regulators in the MoBo/GPU BIOSs. Especially in laptops, this is usually disabled by default to prevent potential damage.

5. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    Okay I just booted up my laptop after 12 hours it didn't work and I started speedfan immediately. it said my HDD was 20 degrees hot and my cores were each around 50 degrees celsius.
    i don't know, the hdd seems fine, but how can my cores be like 50 degrees hot when there's snow outside and the PC didn't run for 12 hours?

6. Originality

United Kingdom
    Probably because that's the temperature of the cores, which can heat up very quickly by simply having to carry out a whole bunch of instructions (like running all startup processes and services). That's what heatpipes, heatsinks, and fans are for - to take that heat away.

All it's doing is reading out of BIOS.

7. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    where the fan speeds are probably set up well by default?

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    Presumably the fan speeds are set up a lil overcautiously, set to go faster than it really needs to to make sure the system doesn't overheat. The effectiveness of the cooling system deteriorates over time though, as dust interferes with both the fan and any heatsinks. Anyway, CPUs can handle temperatures over 70C, so you shouldn't have to worry until the fan gets extremely loud.