want to install a free bios - need some help

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Nyap, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    bascially I have no idea what I'm doing and I'd like you guys to help
    mobo info:
    I'd like libreboot (https://libreboot.org/)

2. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well, first of all, you need to get a basic idea of your situation :P
    Do you know if your motherboard works with libreboot? Is your CPU compatible with it? (IIRC anything made by Intel past 2008 and anything made by AMD past 2011 shouldn't be compatible with libreboot because of the Intel ME/AMD PSP)

3. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    yeah I just noticed you need specific motherboards to install it without having to tinker around :c

4. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Yeah, you will have better luck buying a pre-installed notebook with Libreboot, but they are really expensive with outdated hardware. :(

5. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    is libreboot the only way to get rid of ME?

Last edited by Nyap, Jun 30, 2016
  6. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well, you can't really get rid of ME because it's built-in in your CPU, that's why libreboot refuses to work with newer Intel/AMD CPUs, if you want to get rid of ME, you need to buy an old CPU which doesn't have it.

Why do you want to get rid of Intel ME btw? I know that some people call it a "backdoor", but it isn't a really big deal atm, since it shouldn't do much by itself.
    Unfortunately, getting 100% free/libre hardware is impossible on the x86(_64 ) platform AFAIK. I think that the furthest you can get on that is libreboot + a libre OS, but I don't really know.

7. Nyap
    OP

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site
    I don't like possible backdoors :L
    I'm on a intel core 2 quad q6700, which I'm pretty sure was released sometime in 2007
    and by get rid of i mean disable
    I'm planning on switching to ARM eventually once I learn how to code properly

Last edited by Nyap, Jun 30, 2016
  8. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well, if your CPU is actually from 2007, you might have some luck on disabling Intel ME, however, you'll need a compatible motherboard to run, if you aren't using a notebook, you can probably swap the motherboard with a compatible one that also works with your actual hardware.
    Still, you should research a bit about the Intel ME and libreboot to avoid any issues, it's kind of a hobbyist thing, so I don't think that many people here can help you with it. :P You might have some better luck on places like /r/linux, I think.