Hacking Want to hack a red (25 years of mario) wii

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What i've got available to do this with is a 2 gb sd card and a 8 gb empty new usb stick i wanted to use to emulate the nand thing (emulating a fresh nand created with modmii i think?) and put the emulators and romfiles on.

So at the end, I would want a clean emulated nand just for emulating purposes and my normal nand for the normal, nonhacking things you'd do with a wii like playing VC or games from the disk.

How would i best go about this?

I guess i would have to start by hacking the wii using letterbomb and installing the HBC and bootmii?

Do i really need the priiloader thing?
a new update doesnt seem very likely anymore and i read it may lead to problems with uneek?

Then, i'd have to create a nand backup as to make the homebrewchannel available in uneek later?

Then, after having my backup and getting a fresh nand to emulate, i'd have to use, preferably, the sneek autoinstaller program to get all the uneek files.

Then, after doing whats needed to get the HBC on the emulated nand, i could finally put it and all the uneek files and folders on the usb stick and should then be able to enter the emulated nand? (from the HBC??)

And when all that is done, will i be able to use my wii normally and play snes/gba/etc from the usb stick on the emulated nand?

Using your expertise, is there something i still got wrong?
Or that i should lookout for?

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What i've got available to do this with is a 2 gb sd card and a 8 gb empty new usb stick i wanted to use to emulate the nand thing (emulating a fresh nand created with modmii i think?) and put the emulators and romfiles on.

So at the end, I would want a clean emulated nand just for emulating purposes and my normal nand for the normal, nonhacking things you'd do with a wii like playing VC or games from the disk.

How would i best go about this?

I guess i would have to start by hacking the wii using letterbomb and installing the HBC and bootmii?

Do i really need the priiloader thing?
a new update doesnt seem very likely anymore and i read it may lead to problems with uneek?

Then, i'd have to create a nand backup as to make the homebrewchannel available in uneek later?

Then, after having my backup and getting a fresh nand to emulate, i'd have to use, preferably, the sneek autoinstaller program to get all the uneek files.

Then, after doing whats needed to get the HBC on the emulated nand, i could finally put it and all the uneek files and folders on the usb stick and should then be able to enter the emulated nand? (from the HBC??)

And when all that is done, will i be able to use my wii normally and play snes/gba/etc from the usb stick on the emulated nand?

Using your expertise, is there something i still got wrong?
Or that i should lookout for?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tbh I wouldn't bother with *neek. It doesn't really give you any advantages over a real nand and is pretty complicated.

What do you mean with "emulation purposes"? A buttload of VC and Wiiware games? If yes, then *neek might be a good idea. If you mean homebrew emulators, really don't bother. You can just put that stuff on the USB stick and start it from the homebrewchannel, without *neek.

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well i feel very much like using this whole emulated nand thing, it sounds a lot saver and all.

I just see, I also have no idea what the difference between uneek and uneek+DI is.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well you always have to start the emulated NAND somehow. So you'll need priiloader, HBC or a forewarder channel.
If you have one of these you can just start an emulator. Nothing more risky about it, since emulators don't access NAND.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Some versions of neek2o work fine with a modified version of priiloader.
On a real nand, priiloader protects against game and online updates. It also allows to launch something different than the system menu.
If your wii is still under warranty, and you intend to keep it like that, than you shouldn't install bootmii or the hbc. It will void the warranty.

You can launch casper with the letter bomb, and that can boot into neek2o environment.
It's a bit more work to switch into neek2o mode, but it doesn't touch the wii nand.

You don't need the homebrew channel on your uneek emulated nand. You can use the homebrew filter which has the same functionallity.
You can also use postloader which can launch channels and games as well.

Most emulators like NES and SNES have problems to load roms from the usb drive in a neek(2o) environment. They need some small modifications and a recompile to work properly.

The di module makes it possible to launch game backups from the usb drive. Without di, neek expects an original game disc in the dvd drive.

Try the modmii program for pc windows. It has guides for most setups.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Most emulators like NES and SNES have problems to load roms from the usb drive in a neek(2o) environment. They need some small modifications and a recompile to work properly.
punemu is another option :D

punemu, by giantpune, is basically a wii-game shell for a bunch of emulators. You have to manually add roms to the game image (due to restrictions on sharing roms they were not included). Then when you load punemu off a hard drive, you will be able to load roms off of the punemu "disk" (which is really saved to the HDD).

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok, i followed your advice and avoided *neek now. if emulators dont access/manipulate nand anyway, i guess it makes no difference then, as i dont intend to go beyond that.
i also did install priloader and enabled some of the hacks.

after installing priloader, do i have to keep the x:/apps/priiloader folder, the x:/extras folder that came with priiloader and the hacks.ini/hacks_hash.ini? on the sd card, or can i remove those now?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the wii starts normally without sd card inserted, you can delete all priiloader related stuff.
Priiloader installs on the wii nand. I think it checks the sd card for additional hacks.
Some versions searched on the root of the sd card, others in the apps/priiloader folder.
The important hacks come with the hacks_hash.ini included with the installer.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i followed your advice and avoided *neek now. if emulators dont access/manipulate nand anyway, i guess it makes no difference then, as i dont intend to go beyond that.
i also did install priloader and enabled some of the hacks.

after installing priloader, do i have to keep the x:/apps/priiloader folder, the x:/extras folder that came with priiloader and the hacks.ini/hacks_hash.ini? on the sd card, or can i remove those now?
Keep apps/priiloader (for (re/un)installing). I have no idea what extras folder you're talking about. And keep the hacks/hacks_hash.ini

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."