Want to get the most out of my Xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by LiveLatios, Nov 16, 2015.

1. LiveLatios
    OP

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    ok, so i have a softmodded xbox.. i think.. (i dont know exactly because a friend found it on a curb being stomped on by immature teenagers...) all i know is that it has the evolutionX Dash, what can i get/do for the xbox to make it better? whether it be software, or hardware

I already upgraded the hard drive.. by quite a bit.. original drive was the default 80gb one (i think the default ones are 80gb...) and i upgraded to 320gb

is there a way to get better video out on composite? or if there is a wire mod or something to get HDMI on it?

any other suggestions you would have? i already have XBMC installed as an application and i use it for media, ya know.. like music and movies.. media centre stuff

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Default HDD was 8 GB.
    Composite is possible.

Other then emulators, there's nothing much more to gain.
    Except for games ofcourse.

3. LiveLatios
    OP

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    so its possible to upgrade the video of composite cables? not component, the normal yellow/white/green ones... i looked it up and apparently i need better comb filters... wat, comb filters are in the cables right?

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Not that I know of. But if you're using an HDTV, then it's better to use component.
    Composite won't let the console use 480p.

5. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Meant component.
    Sorry, tired n what not.

Eh, games will be displayed in 720p/1080i.
    Unleash keeps itself in 480 iirc.

6. 05sonicblue

05sonicblue GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Component is the way to go. I prefer to Microsoft branded HD Connector. There's also the V-PORT (I actually have an RCA VPort TV). If you absolutely needed HDMI, then you could get a converter box that converts component to HDMI, but you're not going to gain anything in quality, just the ability to use HDMI. The XBOX supports 1080i and 720P, but not everything supports it.

You can do a lot with XBMC, especially if you are using XBMC4XBOX as it is a newer version. There are lots of plugins, but you probably won't find anything for streaming services like Netflix or Amazon video if that's what you are looking for. It's the perfect client for a DLNA server

7. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I got a cheap component cable for me Xbox, I must say it's worth the investment of a MS branded one (hard to find but their out there)