Want to get a PSP, but have a few questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by tyranius, Apr 28, 2014.

1. tyranius
    OP

tyranius Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2014
    Brazil
    Hi there,

I want to get a PSP. Problem is that the only ones I can find are the GO and the 3000 model (3001 in some cases, what does that mean?). I read that if they brick, there is no fix. So my questions:

1 - How easy is it to brick a PSP? From what I read, it's as easy as interrupting an update. This scares me because the sticky says 3000s and GOs are impossible to unbrick.

2 - Is the latest firmware still 6.60? So I can buy whatever PSP and will be good to go right?

Thanks in advance

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Well, just don't be careless when updating. 6.60 is current, and will probably stay that way forevermore. Whenever you update, make sure to have it plugged in and the battery has a good charge. Most standard homebrew won't do anything to your PSP. If you want to do anything more advanced (writing things to the flash, running development programs, developing for the system, etc), I recommend grabbing a 1000 or 2000. I'm not sure what online retailers you have access to in your country, but there's generally a good used selection on sites like Amazon.

EDIT: Oh, the number on the end of the PSP's model indicates the region. My PSP is a 2001. The 1 means it's from the United States. If you want to know all the different region numbers, there's plenty of sources online.

3. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    A cool thing that you may or may not know is that PSPgo allows to play PSP games on the TV with a PS3 DualShock 3 controller so it's pretty much as if it were a home console, except it doesn't play UMD discs at all (one of the few instances when piracy is useful -- I'm not rebuying games I've already purchased!).

4. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Don't know if this is too helpful, but I have a 3000 and hacking it was fairly easy

5. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Hacking any PSP model is super easy. You run a file after updating to 6.60.

6. tyranius
    OP

tyranius Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2014
    Brazil
    Alright guys, thanks a lot. I'll just get a 3000 then :)