Want to get a 3DS Flash cart, but don't know where to begin!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by VGPRO, Jan 12, 2016.

1. VGPRO
    OP

VGPRO Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2007
    Canada
    Manitoba
    Hey there guys, I've been looking into the 3DS hacking/homebrew scene, I haven't really touched the scene since around 2007/2008 with the DS homebrewing/hacking. Needless to say, I've been doing research around and looking and I have no idea where to begin, there's so much to consume. If only it were like the old days where we didn't have to worry about new firmware patches being installed and downloaded... Anywho

I'm kinda looking for a flash cart that might suit my needs of using homebrew, roms and region free games (really wanna play that new rhythm heaven game!) However I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to, I'm looking at Gateway as a contender, but it seems my firmware is too high on my systems... So Sky3DS seems to be the next best thing, but it looks like it might not be able to run region free and has problems getting private headers? This all seems so confusing, so I wanted to ask if anyone here can give me a suggestion on where to go from here or if I should go about buying another 3ds with lower firmware...

Here are my 3DS's with firmware versions btw

New 3DS XL - Firmware Ver. 10.3.0-28-U (Pretty sure this is the newest version and probably won't run anything at all)

3DS XL - Firmware Ver. 9.9.0-26U

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
  3. Jim~

Jim~ GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    1. Don't purchase anything. You don't need a flash cart.
    2. Downgrade to firmware 9.2
    3. Set up custom firmware (RxTools/CakesFW/etc) with emunand
    4. Enjoy 3ds piracy

4. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    However, I would wait for there to be a more stable downgrader released. People have had problems with the existing one. It used to be that you were better off using the existing downgrader anyway because you could recover from some problems by updating to the current firmware, but we no longer know if updating to the current firmware is safe.

5. bleachigo159

bleachigo159 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2009
    Overwatch Facility
    go for sky3ds+ its really good the only downside is it cant play eshop games

6. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Current FW is 10.3

7. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Wasn't Nintendo going to update it today?