Agjsdfd

My title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys
smile.gif
I know there is topics relating this everyday.. but hey this is why this section of the forum is for
smile.gif

I am going to buy a new laptop.
My use: Pretty much general usage. For University, gaming(of course not expecting to run Crysis on MAX lol. not that much of a PC hardcore gamer), and HEAVY USE. Heavy use as in I will be having the laptop switched on A LOT for downloading and other works.

Wont be buying another laptop in the next 3 years, so need something that is at least gonna last "so-so" in the next 3 years.

I am on a budget though.. 750 pounds.

Dell? Or any other suggestion?
From UK.

Agjsdfd

My title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ThePowerOutage said:
How often will you be able to charge?
Well, if I use it at home DC will be plugged at all times.
If I at Uni I can charge there too
smile.gif
I would say if I am out, I can charge it 2-3 times. But as I said, at home it will be plugged to DC at all times.

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ZANZAROTH said:
DON'T GET AN ACER!!! I'VE ONLY HAD MINE FOR 2 YEARS UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS AS YOU ARE PLANNING TO USE IT AND MINE IS COMPLETELY FUCKED.

I really agree to this by the way.
Acer's are low priced for a reason and that reason is how cheap the quality is.
I'm using one right now and sometimes, typing lags
ohmy.gif

This is a gaming laptop btw. Just saying.

Agjsdfd

My title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ThePowerOutage said:
Bluetooth? Yes
Memory card reader? Yes
Blu-Ray or Average Drive? That would increase the price dramatically.. so No.
HDD capacity? 500GB+

Answered. But preferably anything standard that suits my budget.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trollology said:
ZANZAROTH said:
DON'T GET AN ACER!!! I'VE ONLY HAD MINE FOR 2 YEARS UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS AS YOU ARE PLANNING TO USE IT AND MINE IS COMPLETELY FUCKED.

I really agree to this by the way.
Acer's are low priced for a reason and that reason is how cheap the quality is.
I'm using one right now and sometimes, typing lags
ohmy.gif

This is a gaming laptop btw. Just saying.

+1.

When it comes to brand, go for an Asus or maybe an MSI. I'm using an MSI right now and it feels of better quality than many Dells, or HPs, etc., although it's not as good as an Asus.

Agjsdfd

My title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL. No Acer then.
How about Dell? Have heard a lot of issues with overheating and battery.
I guess I could buy a cooling pad to use at home
smile.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agjsdfd said:
15"-17" Will do for me
smile.gif
Mine is a Sony Vaio F model gaming laptop, customized online on Sony's website, and it's about 16", 17 processor and about 300GBs HDD, with 4 GBs of RAM, but those were my options, you could get one alot better if you customize it yourself.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Dells tend to be crappy.
Fujitsu's fall apart.
Acer same, good pc just bad buil quality.
ASus are probably best.
HP try and make theirs as uncustomizeable as possible.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Brand doesn't matter as much as people want you to think it does.

People generally blame brand for three things.[*]How well the computer runs.

Dell and HP and Apple and other companies don't "build" machines, they "assemble" them. They take core parts (like the processor / ram / graphics card / harddrive) from other companies that make them, put it all together (with their own cases and accessories) and sell the completed package to you. If you ever take a computer apart, you'll notice that the company names on the parts vary widely. There's a few companies that make ram, a few that make processors, a few that make harddrives, and so on and so forth.

So, for example, there's nothing that makes an HP processor better than a Dell processor... because there's no such thing. Dell and HP can both be using the same processors in their machines. So you can buy a Dell that kicks an HP's ass, and then turn around and buy an HP better than that Dell.

A big part of how well a computer runs is the software installed on it (specifically the drivers and programs like that). Most computer issues are software, have nothing to do with the brand itself, and can be permanently fixed with a little bit of effort.

So if you want a faster computer, you should make sure to pick one with the right parts, and maintain it properly.

[*]How well the computer is physically built.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a company's lowest-end model and find that the case is made out of cheap plastic, it's because you paid for cheap plastic. If you buy a higher-end model and get a sturdy metal case, that's because some of the extra price went towards a metal case. You'll pay more for a computer that's built with better parts and more care, because it costs more for the better parts, and it costs more to have workers spend more time on it. Every computer manufacturer makes multiple lines of computers, and generally the "it fell apart" complaints are from people that bought the cheapest one.

So if you want a more sturdy computer, don't buy the cheapest models.

[*]Tech support.

As said above, you get what you pay for. The standard tech support is the foreign people because they are cheap. If you buy the better warranty/support package, then you're paying for the better support people. You have a better chance of getting somebody that knows what they're talking about and who can speak english (or your native language), because they cost more to hire.

So if you want better tech support, you should get the upgraded warranty/support.

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you order right now, you can get a Dell XPS 15 with a Core i5 processor for 649 pounds. I definitely recommend you check it out, from what I hear it's a solid laptop and fits in your price range.

If it weren't for your price limit, I would definitely recommend a MacBook Pro. Despite all the Apple hate going around, it's one of the best, if not the best built laptop. It's definitely not the best price/specs ratio, but it makes up for it in build quality, usability, etc. Oh, and the trackpad is something you can never live without once you've gotten used to it.

You can also try finding a Toshiba Satellite M645 for 750 pounds. They are excellent multimedia laptops, and should take care of your gaming needs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE