Hardware Want an idea of how the 3D effect looks?

Shadowhunta

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, doing a bit of 3DS searching on youtube (getting too excited now with just over a week to go!!) i found an old video that gives you a fair idea of how the 3DS works with regard to 3D gaming, obviously nothing can truly capture the awesomeness but this at least gives you an idea!! Those of us here on GBATemp who have played with the 3DS please let me know if you think this is the closest representation of the 3DS that you'll get without playing one? (i've played one myself and think this will give people an idea of how it works)

Skip to 0.50

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eClqr828Bp0[/youtube]

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The honets best way to get a taste of it.
Find this http://www.walmart.com/ip/10975742 at your local Walmart.
It has a special plastic film over it, that looks AMAZINGLY 3D (The pitchfork seriously looks a good couple feet in front of the head of the person that's holding it), and it distributes a different image to each eye, just like the 3DS will.

Again, look at the COVER in your local walmart (needless to say, you can't see the effect on your monitor), you don't need to buy it, nor do I recomend buying it. The movie sucks. Good 3DS comparison though.

Please, don't be a jerk, don't say it's not right until you find it yourself at a Walmart. It is 1 - amazing, and 2- distributes a different image to each eye, just like Nintendo has states the screen on the 3DS works.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played it today. Its pretty cool. I have glasses and astigmatism as well as lazy eye and it worked just fine. the 3d effect is only depth but cool none the less. This is gonna be awesome. That video is not indicative of the 3ds. You have to see it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mikefor20 said:
I played it today. Its pretty cool. I have glasses and astigmatism as well as lazy eye and it worked just fine. the 3d effect is only depth but cool none the less. This is gonna be awesome. That video is not indicative of the 3ds. You have to see it.
You haven't played most of the games then.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I havn't seen it so far either, but I always imagined it to be slightly like those gif pictures you can sometimes find on the internet

3d2.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
Before the 3DS was even announced, people always linked this video saying that's what it looks like... and no.

ikr
closedeyes.gif

DeMoN said:
QUOTE(mikefor20 @ Mar 15 2011, 06:11 PM) I played it today. Its pretty cool. I have glasses and astigmatism as well as lazy eye and it worked just fine. the 3d effect is only depth but cool none the less. This is gonna be awesome. That video is not indicative of the 3ds. You have to see it.
Is depth or pop out base on eye sight as well?

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
KingVamp said:
DeMoN said:
mikefor20 said:
No it's based on the game.
Most games don't use pop out effects, for various reasons.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M[u said:
ddy]
KingVamp said:
DeMoN said:
mikefor20 said:
No it's based on the game.
Most games don't use pop out effects, for various reasons.
Thanks. I knew it was base on the games, but wasn't sure if eye sight effects it.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's really hard to explain, like they say you gotta see to believe it. I'll tell from my experience, I'll use a game like super street fighter for an example. It's like you're are looking through a tiny glass window and the players actually look like tiny proper 3D models and a lot of depth at the background that looks like a 3D model as well. It's just all sinks in you know.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
heartgold said:
mezut360 said:
how far would you say 3d goes into the screen?
It varies between games, pilotwing made the screen look like 6 inches deep

ahhh thats awesome, you only made me want it more!!!!!!!

QUOTE(leeday100196 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:16 PM)
I want more of the actual pop-out 3D that everyone likes, rather than the old negative 3D... either way I'm getting it, but I would like to see more popout fun!

Maybe in a Mario & Luigi game
and defiantly in Pokemon

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
I want more of the actual pop-out 3D that everyone likes, rather than the old negative 3D... either way I'm getting it, but I would like to see more popout fun!
heh that's what I was like before I interacted with the 3DS, I wanted pop out effects. Since I've played around with it I've liked the depth more and it offers more to gameplay in some games. I love it. 3DS is very capable of doing pop out effects and I'm sure games like that would be released some day, at the moment it's just developers picking what parts they wanna make pop out.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played with the 3DS a lot at PAX East this past weekend. For reference I have a pretty hard time with those 3D glasses in general. The Nvidia keynote at PAX East last year I barely saw anything other than just blurry shit on the screen.

Admittedly the 3DS' 3D effect is pretty incredible. It's a depth 3D and doesn't 'pop out' so to speak. Still it was pretty interesting. The arrow shooting AR game is actually a lot of fun! It's more interactive since you need to move the 3DS around to shoot at stuff. Though it is hard to keep the 3DS in the 'sweet spot' when moving around. It's a good demo of the 3D functionality.

They had some Mii jetpack game or something. I thought that was kinda weak because there wasn't much of a 3D effect at all.

Lego Star Wars had some good depth effects. Dead or Alive was ok, though when you fall onto different stages the 3D effect is pretty stunning.

So like all current 3D technology, you can implement it good (Lego Star Wars) or bad (Mii jetpack game). Really how much you enjoy the game will depend on how much the devs put into the 3D stuff.

I was impressed with the 'technology' of the glasses-less 3D. But after the whole euphoria wore off, I kinda realized, I didn't NEED the 3D to play the game. I was playing with the sliders to see how the 3D effect changed and stuff. I realized all the games work fine without 3D, except the AR games. The AR games were DESIGNED to use the 3D effects, and are an integral part of the gameplay. The others it was more of a 'nice feature' but could be turned off. So ultimately I'm not sure how it'll go with the 3DS in terms of games. I get that you might want the game to work in 2D to reach the broadest audience, but then you lose the entire purpose of having it in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol