Want $10,000? Get Quake III to run on Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Talk about a quake buck!

:arrow:Raspberry Pi

For those of you interested, here is the full list of competition rules.

Better get working - everyone's gonna want a piece of this Pi.

DaVince and T-hug like this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I saw this the other day, an interesting contest. Hopefully it gets some of the bigger graphics players (read AMD-ATI and Nvidia) to also play along similar lines. Probably not likely when patents work the way they do in several of the biggest markets but hey.

3. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Read the title, though this was spam lol

Sicklyboy likes this.
  4. Covarr

Covarr Sentient Cash Register

Oct 21, 2005
    United States
    Far East of Eden
    Looking at the rules, it seems they want 1080p and a minimum 20FPS. Should be quite feasible for someone who knows the hardware, knows the game, and has experience optimizing code... but I have no clue how common or uncommon that particular combination of characteristics actually is.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

1080P at 20FPS... I looked over the specs of the machine and 700Mhz 512MB's shared with the GPU... I mean sure I ran the game on a PC close to those specs but I think I ran the game at about 60 FPS at 800X600 lol

I think it can be done but wow that's going to require some work.

6. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    3ds homebrew development will likely to take a back seat until this is over. :/

Maxternal likes this.
  7. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    The point of the contest is not so much optimizing a game, but writing an open-source graphics driver that can make use of hardware acceleration without having to resort to closed-source binaries.

Costello and xXdeltaXx like this.
  8. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

I have to admit that's the only reason I clicked.

This could mean a lot for what the rPi is capable of graphically.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't know if this isn't asking too much of the hardware provided. For all intents and purposes, Quake ]I[ is already available and playable on the Rapsberry Pi:

The problem isn't so much the game as it's the "1080p @ >= 20 FPS" which can be a challenge with limited resources. Is it doable? Yes, possibly, with a lot of work. Is it worth it? With $10 000 on the line? Sure, but don't expect any other ports of similar games to pop up at similar quality.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I would be stunned if this was not one of those "fancy a job?" situations.

Foxi4 likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Compress the textures to really poor quality, cut out all the fancy effects and you'll run it at 1080p @ 20 FPS. It'll still look like crap, but hey - 1080p! :tpi:

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  12. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Does it count if I place my computer tower on top of a Pi and begin playing Quake III on it?

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  13. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    I'm gettin' tired of that pi stuff.

14. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    I work at Radioshack and we just got in three Rasberry Pi's over here, I haven't sold one yet mostly due to the price it would seem lol :D

15. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Yes, but only using closed-source drivers. That is the real point of the bounty.

16. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    It's a contest with a smell. They offer a huge amount of money to just one person.
    So you could be working months on this, and someone else could get the requested result one day before you.
    Most of the Pi founders work at Broadcom. Who says some aren't having the original blob code.
    They can't join the contest, but how difficult is it to find someone unrelated claiming he wrote the stuff.
    Looks like a perfect way to withdraw some money from the foundation and have some great advertising at the same time.

They always minimised the Pi usb problems as well and blamed all usb devices which worked perfectly on all other hardware.
    Pi usb is working better now, but still not perfect.
    But if you think you should join the contest, don't let me stop you. Good Luck with it.

17. DaVince

DaVince Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2007
    Netherlands
    Actually... Everyone has the original blob code now. Because Broadcom released that recently to the open source community. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is not actively looking for people to improve said driver so that Quake III may run well on it.

Not a bad target. Maybe the wrong way to go about it, because of the reason you stated, though - you might be working hard for months and someone else who was basically duplicating the same effort might get it before you.

18. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    USB sucks in general. It's very difficult to get USB to function 100% as it should under alt OS's. If only Firewire had become the standard, sighhh...

SCSI vs IDE all over again.

19. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    Why quake3? isn't only Multiplayer games?, is not better say; " we need the Quake3 engine 3d work at 20fps on pi?" With working engine is possible make some good...

20. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

Quake 3's bots where actually pretty good and where also kind of fun, not as much fun as Unreal Tournament but still fun even in single player mode.