pimpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eddie_Brock said:
Here's my two-cents:

I updated HBC, DVDX and BootMii via the latest (1.05) HackMii installer, I then used Waninkoko's 4.2 updater to attempt to update my SM to 4.2
The install went through and completed without errors, until it attempted to install Wii Speak Channel, which gave me a -1 error. I wasn't too concerned because I don't have, or want, WiiSpeak. The installation finished, however going back and looking, my Wii is still at SM 4.1, and using DOPIOS, it appears that IOS70 is not installed... What happened?

I had 192 blocks free prior to installing, so space doesn't seem like an issue

same here, error -1 on the wii speak channel, rebooted, still themed 4.0 with full functionality.

rextintorz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got a problem. I've tried placing the Firmware Updater 4.2 (renaming it boot.dol) in three places:

1 - in the apps folder;
2 - inside the apps folder, on a folder named firmware_updater_4.2;
3 - in the root of my micro SD.

Problem is, I can't find it on Homebrew Channel. Any sugestions?

EDIT: I already installed all necessary files before this (Hackmii 0.5, DVDX 2 and Homebrew Channel update).

EDIT 2: also, now my Wii always starts with the BootMii menu. How to turn that off? Or it's not possible?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gunna need this cuz as of now, Nintendo updated the Internet channel and the only way to update that is to access the shop channel which also requires a system update to use.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CheatingSoi said:
Gunna need this cuz as of now, Nintendo updated the Internet channel and the only way to update that is to access the shop channel which also requires a system update to use.
What?

blink.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CheatingSoi said:

Not if you use shop updater by marc. I found today that it was just easier and safer to pack all of the new system IOSes (except the stubs that overwrite cIOS of course) and new system menu into wads using NUSD and then simply install them via wad manager to move from v4.1U to v4.2U. Simple, quick, and I am fully updated with all of the latest IOSes and the new system menu. And everything still works perfectly of course, with no upside down HBC crap or any issues accessing the hackmii installer.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
CheatingSoi said:

Not if you use shop updater by marc. I found today that it was just easier and safer to pack all of the new system IOSes (except the stubs that overwrite cIOS of course) and new system menu into wads using NUSD and then simply install them via wad manager to move from v4.1U to v4.2U. Simple, quick, and I am fully updated with all of the latest IOSes and the new system menu. And everything still works perfectly of course, with no upside down HBC crap or any issues accessing the hackmii installer.
chyeauh man, NUSD is awesome like that.

ps: check out my guide yeah?
couldnt have wrote it without the knowledge you and many others dropped on me.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
zektor said:
CheatingSoi said:

chyeauh man, NUSD is awesome like that.

ps: check out my guide yeah?
couldnt have wrote it without the knowledge you and many others dropped on me.

Great guide! Keep it up when virgin 4.2 units hit the shelves
smile.gif
The only thing that concerns me about the new 4.2 Wiis that will eventually hit the shelves is that the only way you would be able to access cboot2 on these would be with bootmii IOS (as there will be no bootmii boot2 install on these obviously) and when I went to test the loading of cboot2 via bootmii IOS it simply would not work....although it did work fine from boot2. Well, we'll just have to wait and see when the new units are on store shelves.

For a simple online-offline "going from 4.1U to 4.2U" without dealing with the various issues, perhaps you can throw together a guide to use NUSD and download all of the new titles. Here's what I did (must already be on a v4.1U system with cIOS249 AND HBC v1.05 already installed):

While still on v4.1U:

1. Run DOP-IOSv8 and download and sig hash patch (trucha) IOS70.

2. Use NUSD and download the following IOSes (latest versions) and pack them into wads (make sure your NUSD has the updated database so that you are downloading correct latest versions):

IOS9 (v778)
IOS12 (v269)
IOS13 (v273)
IOS14 (v520)
IOS15 (v523)
IOS17 (v775)
IOS21 (v782)
IOS22 (v1037)
IOS28 (v1550)
IOS31 (v3349)
IOS33 (v3091)
IOS34 (v3348)
IOS35 (v3349)
IOS36 (v3351)
IOS37 (v3869)
IOS38 (v3867)
IOS53 (v5406)
IOS55 (v5406)
IOS56 (v5405)
IOS57 (v5661)
IOS60 (v6400) (This is a stub, but who knows if Nintendo will check for it to be stubbed in the future. You don't need it in v4.2 anymore anyway, so might as well stub it)
IOS61 (v5405)
Shopping Channel v17
SystemMenu (make SURE it is for your region. I am USA, so mine is v481)

3. Boot wad manager and install all packed wads you downloaded Do not exit wad manager until they are all installed!

Done!

This will bring you to v4.2 with all of the new updated IOSes, omitting those stubs that break your cIOSes and the crappy boot2 update that overwrites your bootmii. I have tested playing VC from SD and it works fine, all loaders work of course, no upside down HBC, and no issues with "vunerable ios not found" on the hackmii installer. This is because these are pure IOSes without trucha. You do not need trucha on anything but IOS70 (for vc/wiiware sd playing) and your cIOSes handle the rest.

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
right the wii i tried the cboot2 installed was boot2 also..
we need to find more bootmii wii's that only boot with IOS to try out the guide to let us know if it worked.

yea that 4.1 to 4.2 users method is awesome and definitely the best way to go about updating, but i would say to wait for preloader/startpatch updates [if any] and themes to get ported before moving to 4.2 and other apps to get updated for the title id HBC has..

in my opinion, 4.1 users and below are lucky there not on 4.2 because it has no pros. its like menu 3.3v2 and 3.4. theyre gayy.
ya know?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
we need to find more bootmii wii's that only boot with IOS to try out the guide to let us know if it worked.

yea that 4.1 to 4.2 users method is awesome and definitely the best way to go about updating, but i would say to wait for preloader/startpatch updates [if any] and themes to get ported before moving to 4.2 and other apps to get updated for the title id HBC has..

in my opinion, 4.1 users and below are lucky there not on 4.2 because it has no pros. its like menu 3.3v2 and 3.4. theyre gayy.
ya know?

Yeah, I see no real difference. People say it runs "smoother"...but I do not see a difference there. But, there are alot of updated IOSes that we are really not sure what has/has not been fixed. And perhaps the v4.2 menu does offer some sort of improvements that we are just not realizing as of yet. Who knows. All I do know is that it is damn easy to update to it using that method and everything works as before....with the main difference being that you have the new version number
smile.gif
I should also stress to update to the new HBC before doing what I said above, so that it does not disappear when you are done. Also, the new bannerbomb is confirmed and works with v4.2 (I personally tested it as well).

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
xzxero said:

ya know?

Yeah, I see no real difference. People say it runs "smoother"...but I do not see a difference there. But, there are alot of updated IOSes that we are really not sure what has/has not been fixed. And perhaps the v4.2 menu does offer some sort of improvements that we are just not realizing as of yet. Who knows. All I do know is that it is damn easy to update to it using that method and everything works as before....with the main difference being that you have the new version number
smile.gif
I should also stress to update to the new HBC before doing what I said above, so that it does not disappear when you are done. Also, the new bannerbomb is confirmed and works with v4.2 (I personally tested it as well).
yeah your absoulty right about the new IOS updates, who knows what and if they fixed things on them.
Yeah im going to link your post above for those who for some reason want to go to 4.2

and on the hbc note as well, why wouldnt you want an update for the homebrew channel?
the title id change is the only thing i see as valid but im sure thats only temporary.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
What is "BC"? I'm running Waninkoko's Firmware Updater v4.2, and just after it installs IOS61, it says that it is installing "BC"!?!

unsure.gif

I *think* BC has something to do with Gamecube compatibility...but don't quote me on that. I also omitted downloading and installing the latest MIOS, because it would just overwrite your cMIOS (if you have one installed that is)

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
zektor said:
xzxero said:

ya know?

smile.gif
yeah your absoulty right about the new IOS updates, who knows what and if they fixed things on them.
Yeah im going to link your post above for those who for some reason want to go to 4.2

and on the hbc note as well, why wouldnt you want an update for the homebrew channel?
the title id change is the only thing i see as valid but im sure thats only temporary.

The HBC brings some nice new things. New wiiload, new menu options, new ability to delete apps...it is certainly a good thing. I can guarantee those specific apps that have issues with the HBC will be updated very shortly. I have not found many that do not work personally, but it is my understanding that some do not because of the title id change. Didn't I say I thought *some* apps would not function/not function correctly with the new title id change before?
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
Okay... Dumb question time... How do I install a NON-fakesigned IOS61?
My Homebrew Channel is upside-down. =(

blink.gif

Easiest way is to use marcs shopping channel installer. It'll download and install a clean IOS61.

rextintorz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where did you (who installed Waninkoko Firmware Updater 4.2) place the .dol file? In the apps folder, a firmware updater folder (inside the apps folder) or micro SD root folder? I need that answer, I can't make it run in any way I placed it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.