Walmart owned Asda, UK's 2nd largest supermarket, stops selling the Wii U

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
exactly...
but there are people saying that the Wii U is not current gen just because it's weaker than the upcoming PS4/XBOX1
that's why I had to make the point of the PS1 being weaker than the N64

Most of these people are trolling/joking saying WiiU is a last-gen console because it's weaker than PS4 and X1.
You're taking people way too seriously, just chill out B-)

Um, it's the same price as the $300 new current gen systems, has at least somewhat newer tech, and comes with an expensive touch screen controller. How is it overpriced?

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of legitimate problems with the Wii U, but I just don't understand how price is one of them.

No one buys the basic model.
The deluxe model costs $350 which is just $50 cheaper than PS4.

I'm not saying it is expensive, but a price drop would be good for the system,
and I believe it's feasible to reduce the price at least $50.

If Nintendo abandoned the basic model and started selling the Deluxe model for $300, I bet many people would buy it, especially if well advertised as a promotion.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yada... yada... yada... Wii U dead...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/wii_u_finally_hits_one_million_sales_in_japan

Yada yada yada.. FUCK YOU NITENDO! SONY IS BETTER! BECAUSE UHHHHHHH SONY!

Yet... you didn't see places dropping the PS3... Or.. Even still.. the Vita.

Considering the following...

A) The games industry is constantly expanding. The audience for games increases significantly from generation to generation, so sales comparisons are useless unless you factor that context in. Sales that might have passable (or, at least, survivable) 7 or 12 years ago are going to look very different in today's market.
B) Sales in Japan are irrelevant to retailers in the UK. Japanese sales don't change the fact that they can't move enough U-nits to justify stocking the system.
C) Plenty of places are no longer stocking the Vita, this fact was even discussed. Shit, in Australia, some retailers were refusing to stock the thing before it even launched. If you're going to cry about "Sony bias" or some other nonsense, you might want to do your research first.
D) Trying to play the "Nintendo is the underdog!"/"It's a Sony conspiracy!" card is just plain laughable. If this was the Olympics, you'd be taking Gold for mental gymnastics.

The cheap scapegoats are fun, sure, but deluding yourself here isn't going to get you anywhere.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's no surprise it has a weaker performance on multiplats since it's CPU is underclocked and developers are still not used to it

You need to read things more carefully, I never said that.
I compared the performance of games on WiiU and on X360 and PS3.

Square Enix, Rockstar Konami and many others simply dropped the boat.
There are quite a few companies still making games for WiiU,
but PS4 and X1 aren't even on the market.
When PS4 and X1 are released, then we will have an idea of how things will keep going for WiiU.

Anyway, I've just read this and would like to share it here:
http://kotaku.com/5920931/the-wii-us-power-problem

Except only Arkham City was the only one that suffered, and like I said, that was made by a different team. You really think Rocksteady would have let the game run like that? No.

Square Enix hasn't dropped the boat, they haven't announced anything other than Deus Ex. Rockstar hasn't announced anything for PS4/X1. And Konami... only good game they make is what, Metal Gear Solid?

Also... Kotaku. WiiU. Last Year. Not reading.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except only Arkham City was the only one that suffered, and like I said, that was made by a different team.

Mass Effect did too.

Square Enix hasn't dropped the boat, they haven't announced anything other than Deus Ex.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV

Rockstar hasn't announced anything for PS4/X1.

But they announced GTA V for PS3, X360 but not for WiiU.

And Konami... only good game they make is what, Metal Gear Solid?

Which is coming for PS4 and Xbox One but isn't for WiiU

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mass Effect was perfectly fine. Shit, this is one thing I hate about a lot of members on this site. You will stretch the line so damn thing just so you can find the smallest thing to prove your point. We're done here.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mass Effect was perfectly fine. Shit, this is one thing I hate about a lot of members on this site. You will stretch the line so damn thing just so you can find the smallest thing to prove your point. We're done here.

A lot of Wii U owners have noticed the technical wonks with the port (frame rate, animation, etc.), though. It's not just a few people trying to peg down the Wii U version or whatever; they're widely reported issues. Just because you didn't notice or have a problem with it doesn't mean the problem didn't exist at all.

Besides, what's the big deal? Shoddy ports early in a console's lifespan are nothing new; it's practically a universal constant.

Reactions: gamefan5

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of Wii U owners have noticed the technical wonks with the port (frame rate, animation, etc.), though. It's not just a few people trying to peg down the Wii U version or whatever; they're widely reported issues. Just because you didn't notice or have a problem with it doesn't mean the problem didn't exist at all.

Besides, what's the big deal? Shoddy ports early in a console's lifespan are nothing new; it's practically a universal constant.

I'm not saying it's a problem. Hell, I have the game on PS3, there's still bugs/glitches. To say that they're basically garbage on WiiU is dumb, when the game is still perfectly playable just fine.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some pictures are worth a thousand words... well except this one literally has them...

Nintendo_is_Doomed.jpg

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not saying it's a problem. Hell, I have the game on PS3, there's still bugs/glitches. To say that they're basically garbage on WiiU is dumb, when the game is still perfectly playable just fine.
I think in the long run, the point that someone attempted to make but failed to deliver was that even though the Wii U is getting third party content, it's getting very little exclusive third party content. Multi-plats don't move systems. They may aid in influencing a purchasing decision once exclusives are factored in, but on their own, they're just convenient so that you can enjoy the game despite your platform choice. The Wii U is currently suffering what the Gamecube and Wii suffered: third parties don't really give a damn. They'll release content here or there, but in the long run, they know they can't compete with Nintendo's first party titles in terms of sales. At this point, apparently that means potentially not even breaking even on development costs. That's bad. Nintendo has shut out third party developers by trying to stand on their own two feet back during the days of lost third parties in the N64 era.

And before it comes up, no, fuck no, Nintendo's first party titles won't make the next Wii. They'll keep the Wii U afloat, but they won't make the Wii U a successful console. They're good games, sure, and they end up being system sellers because they're generally some of the only worthwhile games on a Nintendo system. They are no longer big system sellers though. It should be stated once more, since it could come up, that the Wii appealed to a crowd that, at the time, had few alternatives for casual gaming. That was fixed with the smart phone invasion. Phones have captured the casual market. It's something Nintendo no longer has access to. That's hurting them in other ways with the Wii U, since the Wii U seems to be having an identity crisis based on Nintendo's advertising. One day it's geared towards "hardcore gamers", the next, it's a family console meant for casual fun. Nintendo has no idea what the hell they're doing with it anymore and have basically fallen to "wait, wait, the series you've known and loved for over two decades are coming.....in 2014!" Not exactly inspiring.

This holiday season really is do or die for the Wii U. With the PS4 and the One hitting the market, Nintendo's safety window has disappeared. If the PS4 and One are a hit, the Wii U will have a lot to worry about. At best, it should be hoping for a sixth gen situation where its sales ultimately don't live up to expectations, but are decent enough to give the console game another go.

Reactions: Gahars

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think in the long run, the point that someone attempted to make but failed to deliver was that even though the Wii U is getting third party content, it's getting very little exclusive third party content. Multi-plats don't move systems. They may aid in influencing a purchasing decision once exclusives are factored in, but on their own, they're just convenient so that you can enjoy the game despite your platform choice. The Wii U is currently suffering what the Gamecube and Wii suffered: third parties don't really give a damn. They'll release content here or there, but in the long run, they know they can't compete with Nintendo's first party titles in terms of sales. At this point, apparently that means potentially not even breaking even on development costs. That's bad. Nintendo has shut out third party developers by trying to stand on their own two feet back during the days of lost third parties in the N64 era.

And before it comes up, no, fuck no, Nintendo's first party titles won't make the next Wii. They'll keep the Wii U afloat, but they won't make the Wii U a successful console. They're good games, sure, and they end up being system sellers because they're generally some of the only worthwhile games on a Nintendo system. They are no longer big system sellers though. It should be stated once more, since it could come up, that the Wii appealed to a crowd that, at the time, had few alternatives for casual gaming. That was fixed with the smart phone invasion. Phones have captured the casual market. It's something Nintendo no longer has access to. That's hurting them in other ways with the Wii U, since the Wii U seems to be having an identity crisis based on Nintendo's advertising. One day it's geared towards "hardcore gamers", the next, it's a family console meant for casual fun. Nintendo has no idea what the hell they're doing with it anymore and have basically fallen to "wait, wait, the series you've known and loved for over two decades are coming.....in 2014!" Not exactly inspiring.

This holiday season really is do or die for the Wii U. With the PS4 and the One hitting the market, Nintendo's safety window has disappeared. If the PS4 and One are a hit, the Wii U will have a lot to worry about. At best, it should be hoping for a sixth gen situation where its sales ultimately don't live up to expectations, but are decent enough to give the console game another go.

Nothing will be as successful as the Wii was. The PS3/ 360 weren't, the PS4/X1 won't either. It was a one hit wonder. Nintendo's going to be fine. The WiiU too.

But one thing I never understood, is why developers say "we can't compete with Nintendo's games". That's fucking stupid. That's either meaning that A, Nintendos games are system sellers, or B the developers just don't try and compete with it. Look at the Wii. Look at the quality of the games on that from third party. Nobody tried. They thought "well shit, it's little kids, this is good enough. Oh Madden? Yeah we'll dumb that down too."

The way I see it, the world is in the middle of a reboot. The economy sucks everywhere. The WiiU doesn't sell? How the fuck is 500 dollar machine going to sell? PS3 sure as hell wasn't able to sell at that price.

D

Deleted-188346

I also believe that I'm an expert video games market analyst regardless of having no experience or education in the field.
This thread is perfect for me then.

Reactions: Jaems and Sicklyboy

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the Wii. Look at the quality of the games on that from third party. Nobody tried.

But that's wrong. A lot of third party developers put in shitload of effort, producing titles No More Heroes, House of the Dead Overkill, Red Steel 2, and Mad World... all of which seriously struggled to sell.

Seeing those results, you can't really blame the publishers for putting their time and resources elsewhere.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But that's wrong. A lot of third party developers put in shitload of effort, producing titles No More Heroes, House of the Dead Overkill, Red Steel 2, and Mad World... all of which seriously struggled to sell.

Seeing those results, you can't really blame the publishers for putting their time and resources elsewhere.

No More Heroes was seriously flawed and repetitive. House of the Dead was alright, never tried Red Steel 2 or Mad World. But at the same time, one could argue that those games and ones now (like Wonderful 101) would suffer because Nintendo has a serious lack of advertising. If Hideki Kamiya of Platinum Games complained that Wonderful101 isn't being advertised enough.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will agree with the lack of advertising aspect... I don't watch TV that often, but I have NEVER seen a SINGLE advert for the WiiU since its release. Working the electronics department in a big box retailer, you have no idea how many people STILL ask me why this new controller for the Wii is $350. Every fucking time I have to explain it...

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol