1. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    It's because Walmart and Target often sell blister packs cheaper than buying singular boosters, and boosters you buy on Ebay are often weighed to see if there's any holofoil/fullart cards in them, and the seller keeps all the good packs they bought, and sells off the junk packs. Similar situation with some smaller resellers.

Yeah, it's not a cheap hobby if you're just trying to collect, but as of building playable decks, it's not a good idea to buy sealed merch in hopes you get what cards you want, for that, it's better to buy singles from a local card/comic shop, or tcgplayer.com, where you can just buy the cards you need for your deck usually for under a dollar a piece.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. realtimesave

realtimesave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah I noticed that on ebay, you're more than likely to get stuff that had been weighted by the seller. Seems like kind of a sham.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  3. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you wanna hear about robbery, wait til you hear how much money Walmart pays it's employees compared to their executives.

StrayGuitarist and tomasowa like this.
  4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    Some walmarts seemingly have not even received shipments of pokemon cards for months.

5. tomasowa

tomasowa Garden-Variety Random

United States
    That was a bit of a tangent, so I'll just add to it a little ...

When I was younger, my foray into Retail started as a Manager for Carrefour in South East Asia, so I can understand where this is coming from; I fought hard so that all my Staff were paid their Overtime and it's because of that persistence and the Corporation's resistance, alongside racism towards Asians in general, that made me leave.

So I hope anyone who reads this doesn't become a jaded Human Being and does their part to push things along to a better path for everyone; my Life Code is to always walk the Righteous Path, so I would rather die of starvation than be a corrupt individual.

That is not to say I do not know how to work with them; the World is grey and the Greater Good may sometimes require novel approaches. It's just that my Family hold ourselves morally accountable, including those that work under us whether for Government or Private dealings.

We have never taken any kickbacks and I'm saying this so that nobody can say the la-di-da it's so easy to do the right thing when you have nothing to lose.

Others, well, you do you, I guess.
    If the Law doesn't catch up with you, Karma will.

6. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    It is. I recommend, if you're gonna buy sealed product, getting it from your local comic shop, if you have one. They're usually honest about that kind of thing (I mean, that is how they keep customers, after all- not a problem with EBay sellers since they don't have to pay real estate, supplier costs, etc) and you'll be supporting local business, not even mentioning how often they have tournaments and special events/sales 'n whatnot.

DS1 likes this.
  7. Gh0sti

Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States

You need to update this post that Walmart will continue to supply in store and Target is going online only for the time being.

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    That's because the job a lot of Walmart associates (and honestly, even some of the department supervisors I've seen them hire on) do could be done more competently by cats for the majority of the people they hire. Also, this is just every company ever. If those on the bottom of the hierarchy are compensated the same as those on the top, then why would anyone want to be on the top? They may as well just do the work of the grunts they've hired below them.

9. realtimesave

United States
    I don't get why walmart is so popular to shop at, it is kinda ghetto imho :)

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    Hey, living better is all about saving money, even if the majority of the customers working there will ask if you're an employee when you have the vest and name badge on, and you want to say, "Nope, I'm just wearing this to attract the ladies!"

banjo2 likes this.
  11. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    what's next? your local comic shop bans sales?

12. ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    "Mommy, why is there police tape around the Pokemon aisle?"

13. SDA

SDA GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    For some reason I'm glad they finally took down Pokémon cards. I really dislike the franchise as it's horribly overrated nowadays.
    Also, neither Walmart or Target managed to get in Europe (I think).

banjo2 likes this.
  14. realtimesave

United States
    lol I wear a non-walmart work badge to that store and customers constantly come up asking me where baskets are and whatnot

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

they should ban hot wheels sales, I know for a fact that fist fights and verbal altercations happen all the time about those. it's a scumbag hobby.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

agree. I just opened my 2nd pack of pokemon cards to check out the hobby. all duds. what's all the hype about. also they re-use characters from red&blue gameboy days in like every set as if they can't come up with anything new and unique that is catchy lol

btw the ads on this page ugh. it's making me miss letters in my typing lol OH GOD yeah, flashy skippy screen.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  15. SDA

SDA GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Yup, yup. I am happy that someone agrees with me.

realtimesave likes this.
  16. realtimesave

United States
    Normally when it comes to pokemon, I just say kill it with fire

:)

banjo2 likes this.
  17. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    I'm honestly okay with them suspending sales of these at physical locations. People are getting crazy about them. It's the old "behave or lose your privileges" thing.

Also weird to me that they aren't suspending Yu-Gi-Oh cards but whatever.

banjo2 likes this.
  18. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    the games are even less to be desired these days (saying this as a Pokemon video game fan myself so it's bad) I just hope legends is the kick in the pants the video game franchise needs to straighten up

19. realtimesave

United States
    I think I'm done on pokemon cards, after just 2 packs lol. was worth a shot, at least I didn't spend hundreds on this stuff.

20. Subtle Demise

United States
    Idk about that. I ordered a vita direct from Japan for super cheap (free shipping too) and it came in a few days.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - concerns, Walmart, Pokemon