1. scoobydude51

scoobydude51 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    They think it’s the apocalypse when Covid started. The fear campaigns by the MSM sadly worked.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. splymb

splymb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Cyprus
    Desperate minds call for desperate measures.

CrossOut likes this.
  3. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    First ever official one, haha. That's probably enough info to track me down. :P That was back in an era where MTG winners would get college scholarships. I got a binder, a jacket, and a medal. I think maybe a box of Jungle; wasn't even first ed...

osaka35 likes this.
  4. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Portugal
    Well yes and no. Older valuable cards tend to increase value with time like everything else (lol, I have the whole Southern Island set, didn't know it was on the tops, not parting with it though - also for accurate market value of singular cards check Troll and Toad).

As for newer cards I don't think the most valuable are that valuable, I think they have to stop to be sold to raise value to a high level. Or rather some have a relative higher value for the time being as people need them to play competitively.

From an old 90's / early 00's player / collector perspective the game really went downhill since it stopped being produced by Wizards of the Coast and directly by Nintendo. Cards now suffer from a terrible power creep.

Nintendo's approach to sell cards is to, at every generation, power up the cards to the point you have to buy more recent cards to stay competitive. To me at least took all the fun from playing since your decks are constantly getting useless and at the same time newer cards are so insanely strong they also stop being fun to collect. I now only from time to time trade my old repeated cards for other old cards and do McDonald's collections for fun.

So I don't think that is value that make people desperate for cards at this point, but players who want to have a decent deck.

Either way, to Walmart at least, Pokémon cards don't hurt people, the weapons that they sell do though, so is kind of absurd stopping selling cards for "safety" reasons.

Last edited by pustal, May 14, 2021
    Xzi likes this.
  5. TomRannd

TomRannd slim bizzy

Canada
    i'd kill a man if they tried to steal my mint condition mega charizard ex

Xzi likes this.
  6. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is the first I've heard of people fighting over trading cards. I mean, with the looting that BLM and Antifa did the last year, they stole a lot more than cards and killed over it.

7. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM I Eat Garlics

United States
    I'm pretty disappointed in anyone who caused this. At least I'm not a little kid anymore, so I don't much care for pokecards anymore. Still, well, I can't help but feel bad for future generations. (Though I bet Yu Gi Oh is happy right now)

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    Meh, if I'm gonna play a card game these days, it's usually gonna be something like Cards Against Humanity.

BlazeMasterBM likes this.
  9. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM I Eat Garlics

United States
    lol. well the problem is you will need a lot of people for that to be fun.

10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    There's online alternatives...

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    What a bunch of pussies.

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    gotta catch em all...oh now you can't their banned! :lol:

13. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

United States
    At first glance, for me it seems it might be because of Covid. Never been in one of those stores vefore but, are people able to just touch the cards or something like that if they ask to?

14. Just_reii

Just_reii Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You have fans that collect and you have those who just wanna buy it for the value. I feel like people like the Paul's "from YouTube" ruin it for those who actually enjoy collecting these cards.

I haven't collected in ages and still have my original cards in my binder from back when I was kid. But that feeling I use to get when I had a brand new pack of Pokémon cards was pretty Awesome.

These times are filled with people who don't know how to appreciated things for what they are. Perhaps the advance of tech and social media has a lot to do with this.

P.S when I was young (5-6 maybe) I had a holographic Charizard 1st edition. My mom had gone to the salon and she took me with her. There was a kid with his Polemon cards and of course at this time you took them everywhere with you. He had all these coool cards I didn't have. Traded my 1st edition Charizard for like 30 of his cards. I totally regret that now lol but back then I thought I killed that trade lol

15. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Banning all trading cards because people got into a fight over "Sports cards" is lame af.

16. Pokepicker

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Did you read the article? I highlighted a few relevant lines.

osaka35 likes this.
  17. such

such Member
    Newcomer

Barbados
    Also a pretty sensible business decision considering there were fights and mexican standoffs in the parking lot over them.

I enjoyed some virtual Magic and Pokemon ~20 years ago, but this illustrates perfectly why I never got into TCGs, CCGs and whatnot - they just get WEIRD in rl. Too much money involved and people go insane. Just not worth it.

18. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Sports cards and TCGs have different markets and demographics. There is a little overlap, but banning all cards because some people got in a nasty fight over sports cards is not what I would call sensible. I don't buy TCG stuff much, but I buy sports cards never. Now the only store in my area that I will be able to buy TCG stuff from is GameStop, lol.

Edit: Looking further into it, it seems the WalMart thing is specific to one store, so I guess that will likely remain an option as well.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, May 14, 2021
  19. such

such Member
    Newcomer

Barbados
    I get the feeling this was more of a panic button decision, not a carefully planned business strategy - under those conditions I still think it's perfectly sensible. Reasonable collateral damage, if you will.

20. teamlocust

teamlocust GBAtemp Regular

India
    That's why usa is a place full of dumbfucks. Ban trading cards , but guns are allowed. Lol.

Sophie-bear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - concerns, Walmart, Pokemon