Wall Street Protests: Police brutality caught on tape

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raptor5001 said:
What an incredibly shallow interpretation. For the most part (and because you can't control every single person 100%) the protesters were on the sidewalks. Where would you prefer they protest? Also, I would love to have this ability of yours to sense the intentions of all these people at once and determine that they all wanted to get maced and arrested.

If your mother or sister was one of the women in the macing video (did you even watch that video?), would you feel differently? It doesn't look like they wanted to be maced to me. They're simply angry at the direction this country is going in, and rightfully so. I don't think simply yelling outside makes you a violent protester that needs to be maced.
If I was in New York, I'd rather they desist annoying those around them, go back to their lives, and stop wasting their time with a clearly fruitless endeavor.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Urza said:
If I was in New York, I'd rather they desist annoying those around them, go back to their lives, and stop wasting their time with a clearly fruitless endeavor.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...contemporary%29
Considering there is only 5% of the expected turn-out, it's been a pretty big failure so far. I'd be very surprised if anything productive is accomplished.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Realist

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raptor5001 said:
dickfour said:
you know what the problem with these people is? They think that their rights supersede the rights of everyone else. I have just as much a right to use the streets to get to work or go home as they have to protest. By blocking the streets these so called protesters are actually trampling other people's civil rights. If you're denting other people freedom of movement you're not being non violent. There's a way to protest and exercise your rights freely. I've seen protests far bigger than this that didn't have any problems. The whole point is to cause disruption as a tactic to bait the police into a confrontation then edit the video and use it for propaganda. I have no sympathy for them since getting arrested and pepper sprayed was the whole point.

What an incredibly shallow interpretation. For the most part (and because you can't control every single person 100%) the protesters were on the sidewalks. Where would you prefer they protest? Also, I would love to have this ability of yours to sense the intentions of all these people at once and determine that they all wanted to get maced and arrested.

If your mother or sister was one of the women in the macing video (did you even watch that video?), would you feel differently? It doesn't look like they wanted to be maced to me. They're simply angry at the direction this country is going in, and rightfully so. I don't think simply yelling outside makes you a violent protester that needs to be maced.
Apparently you're the ignorant one here and need a little lesson. You see I was one of these people and I know what they're about. The goal is to disrupt and crash the system in order to effect revolutionary change. This isn't about being pissed that the country is going down the tubes. These people want the country and our economy to collapse and they want some kind of collectivist communist nightmare. Just look at the term culture jamming. To these people it's not about peacefully protesting or freedom of speech. It's about jamming the system, lawfare, and causing as much mayhem as possible. I'm familiar with adbusters the magazine that's sponsoring this event. They are evil, have totalitarian tendencies, they are communist in nature. What they want to do is shove their version of utopia and collectivization down the collective throats of the masses. They have no regard for freedom except to use it as a means to an end. I really don't think most of the kids protesting even know the real goals or are familiar with adbusters. There people don't believe in the freedom to own a car. I'll tell you I wouldn't let my sister or any family member get involved with these clowns. Do you know what it means to have all wealth equitably redistributed? Not to have the right to any private property. You can say goodbye to gaming if these people have their way.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dickfour said:
Apparently you're the ignorant one here and need a little lesson. You see I was one of these people and I know what they're about. The goal is to disrupt and crash the system in order to effect revolutionary change. This isn't about being pissed that the country is going down the tubes. These people want the country and our economy to collapse and they want some kind of collectivist communist nightmare. Just look at the term culture jamming. To these people it's not about peacefully protesting or freedom of speech. It's about jamming the system, lawfare, and causing as much mayhem as possible. I'm familiar with adbusters the magazine that's sponsoring this event. They are evil, have totalitarian tendencies, they are communist in nature. What they want to do is shove their version of utopia and collectivization down the collective throats of the masses. They have no regard for freedom except to use it as a means to an end. I really don't think most of the kids protesting even know the real goals or are familiar with adbusters. There people don't believe in the freedom to own a car. I'll tell you I wouldn't let my sister or any family member get involved with these clowns. Do you know what it means to have all wealth equitably redistributed? Not to have the right to any private property. You can say goodbye to gaming if these people have their way.

[youtube]qtH6T4a_W10[/youtube]

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Urza said:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...contemporary%29
Considering there is only 5% of the expected turn-out, it's been a pretty big failure so far. I'd be very surprised if anything productive is accomplished.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Realist
I am actually not disputing that the protest was limited, even a failure. What I took issue with was that your posts imply that there is no problem in the first place, along with demonizing those who empathize with the protestors (hence your Slacktivist link). And if there is and people recognize it, their means of taking action must either be pointless, or the very people involved must be corrupt in some way. Granted, I don't know you at all. But based on what you have posted so far, this is indicative of your viewpoint, which is contemporary cynicism.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
riposte said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
dickfour said:
you know what the problem with these people is? They think that their rights supersede the rights of everyone else. I have just as much a right to use the streets to get to work or go home as they have to protest. By blocking the streets these so called protesters are actually trampling other people's civil rights. If you're denting other people freedom of movement you're not being non violent. There's a way to protest and exercise your rights freely. I've seen protests far bigger than this that didn't have any problems. The whole point is to cause disruption as a tactic to bait the police into a confrontation then edit the video and use it for propaganda. I have no sympathy for them since getting arrested and pepper sprayed was the whole point.
Of course. How could I have been so silly? Protesting against a parasitic social layer that is responsible for plundering the economy and eroding rights for the sake of finance capital is totally illegitimate. Please. There's no evidence that the protest movement plotted against the police to tarnish their public image. The police have been doing a great job of that on their own.

better to just ignore that dude... too much Glenn Beck will do that to you...(and any amount of Glenn Beck is too much).

Just clarify, is that the parasitic social class that made your 3ds? that's traded on Wall St? The trading symbol for Nintendo is NDTOY. Wall street parasites. These are the companies that save your life when you go to the hospital. That cart your ass around in cars. These are the same corporations that made your laptop and tablet that built the servers that gbatemp is hosted on. The publicly listed companies that sold the drywall and wood to build your house. Now you show me the alternative to that which is as prosperous and works and i'll join your sile

Agreed. Too much of that right wing dribble will rot your brain.
sleep.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
I am actually not disputing that the protest was limited, even a failure. What I took issue with was that your posts imply that there is no problem in the first place, along with demonizing those who empathize with the protestors (hence your Slacktivist link). And if there is and people recognize it, their means of taking action must either be pointless, or the very people involved must be corrupt in some way. Granted, I don't know you at all. But based on what you have posted so far, this is indicative of your viewpoint, which is contemporary cynicism.
No idea how you would get such an implication, as I made absolutely no comment on the subject matter they're protesting. The "slacktivist" remark was aimed at those on the internet (and in this thread) who are supporters only as far as their keyboards will get them. "Demonizing" is a bit of an exaggeration for what was simply calling them ineffictive.

My view is not that there isn't a problem, but rather that the problem won't be solved through any attempt which relies on engaging the incredibly complacent, stupid, and lazy general populace.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dickfour said:
LightyKD said:
riposte said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
dickfour said:
Of course. How could I have been so silly? Protesting against a parasitic social layer that is responsible for plundering the economy and eroding rights for the sake of finance capital is totally illegitimate. Please. There's no evidence that the protest movement plotted against the police to tarnish their public image. The police have been doing a great job of that on their own.

better to just ignore that dude... too much Glenn Beck will do that to you...(and any amount of Glenn Beck is too much).

Just clarify, is that the parasitic social class that made your 3ds? that's traded on Wall St? The trading symbol for Nintendo is NDTOY. Wall street parasites. These are the companies that save your life when you go to the hospital. That cart your ass around in cars. These are the same corporations that made your laptop and tablet that built the servers that gbatemp is hosted on. The publicly listed companies that sold the drywall and wood to build your house. Now you show me the alternative to that which is as prosperous and works and i'll join your sile

Agreed. Too much of that right wing dribble will rot your brain.
sleep.gif

No counter argument, typical

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
damn I go to university and now don't have a tv to watch the bbc to see what is actually happening in the world
anywho this site has a video about they people are protesting for and there demands, I'm just surprised they lasted 10 days, I suspect that change will only happen if they last a month. And who knows maybe rage against the machine will join them they shut down wallstreet for a day before why not again video

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
No idea how you would get such an implication, as I made absolutely no comment on the subject matter they're protesting. The "slacktivist" remark was aimed at those on the internet (and in this thread) who are supporters only as far as their keyboards will get them. "Demonizing" is a bit of an exaggeration for what was simply calling them ineffictive.

My view is not that there isn't a problem, but rather that the problem won't be solved through any attempt which relies on engaging the incredibly complacent, stupid, and lazy general populace.
The fact that you made short, dismissive posts implied that you were in turn dismissive of the subject matter. I wish that you had said this first instead of posting links to Wikipedia, because I got the wrong idea. For that, I apologize.

By the way, the fact that you regard the masses with such utter contempt is a further mark of your cynicism. The people that you demonize are not broadly "complacent, stupid, [or] lazy". In fact, they have been struggling against financial austerity for quite a while. What they lack is political direction, and that is not their fault.

@dickfour: I think you seriously misquoted LightyKD. If you have something to say, do not stack quote tags on top of it.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
raptor5001 said:

Actually these protestors were not on the sidewalk. They were before but on Saterday they all got crazy and got megaphones and started to go on the streets. Then the police had to do their jobs. The police allowed them to protest only on the sidewalk as long as they didn't bother anyone.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
Actually these protestors were not on the sidewalk. They were before but on Saterday they all got crazy and got megaphones and started to go on the streets. Then the police had to do their jobs. The police allowed them to protest only on the sidewalk as long as they didn't bother anyone.
Where did you hear that? I have been searching, and so far all of the news articles I have read are staying mum on what caused it. Last I heard, the NYPD is refusing to speak to the media about the incident. I also agree that the police were just doing their jobs: Defending the bourgeoisie, the capitalist robbers.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Jakob95 said:
Where did you hear that? I have been searching, and so far all of the news articles I have read are staying mum on what caused it. Last I heard, the NYPD is refusing to speak to the media about the incident. I also agree that the police were just doing their jobs: Defending the bourgeoisie, the capitalist robbers.
We were discussing this in class in school. My teacher works for the NYPD and has information. Defending the bourgeoisie, the capitalist robbers? Explain how they are robbers at all in my opinion they are smart men that know how to work stuff out. Anyone could go to Wall street if they use their brains.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
dickfour said:
raptor5001 said:
dickfour said:

>Communist
>Evil
>Totalitarian
>Collectivization

Oh god it's like we're in 1960s America again.

This thing I disagree with is COMMUNIST and SOCIALIST (same thing really) and is a threat to mah LIBERTY and DEMOCRACY. God bless America!!

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Urza said:

The fact that you made short, dismissive posts implied that you were in turn dismissive of the subject matter. I wish that you had said this first instead of posting links to Wikipedia, because I got the wrong idea. For that, I apologize.

By the way, the fact that you regard the masses with such utter contempt is a further mark of your cynicism. The people that you demonize are not broadly "complacent, stupid, [or] lazy". In fact, they have been struggling against financial austerity for quite a while. What they lack is political direction, and that is not their fault.
You've made continual incorrect usage of the words "implied" and "demonize" in response to my posts. I don't think you actually know what they mean.

None of my posts "implied" any sort of dismissive attitude towards their political stance. In my first post I didn't address it at all, and in the latter explicitly stated that I wasn't dismissing it. Again, I'm not sure whether you're pulling "implications" from nothing, or are simply confusing it for another word.

This is also the second time you've referred to my statements as "demonizing." To demonize is to portray as villainous or evil. Adjectives such as "lazy" and "complacent" don't imply evil.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So lets walk down hypothetical lane and imagine a country where these people took down the financial district as their goal states and implemented collectivization. The people advocating for these protesters would be the first to cry about no longer having an ipone or a 3ds or a tablet. It's so funny that ignorant people advocate this nonsense without asking themselves if not this then what? What is the utopia they want to create?
Here's a little background on adbusters who are behind these silly protests. Read and tell me they're nice altruistic pepole.

http://activistcash.com/organization_overv.../o/36-adbusters

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
We were discussing this in class in school. My teacher works for the NYPD and has information. Defending the bourgeoisie, the capitalist robbers? Explain how they are robbers at all in my opinion they are smart men that know how to work stuff out. Anyone could go to Wall street if they use their brains.
So in other words, you have no news source to cite, just an employee of the NYPD. Interesting, but rather disappointing.

As for the American bourgeoisie and how they are "robbers," what do I really need to say? The imperialist wars in the Middle East are being used to acquire the oil fields and increase their profits. After causing a near economic collapse (and the role of the wealthy has been meticulously documented here) the US state bailed them out with taxpayer money. They are now making more money now than they were before the depression. Yet they refuse to invest in production and create jobs to lessen the economic burden of the unemployed. Keeping unemployment high keeps wages low, which further contributes to their wallets; the private sector has not contributed any net job growth in several years. When they do invest in production, they do it in other countries to exploit cheap labor more fully. Apple and FOXCONN are probably the best example of this relationship. The bourgeoisie's contribution to the deficit and lust for profit encourages the US state to slash social services to the bone. Social security will be next on the chopping block, once they're done with Medicare. This is the historical legacy of the wealthy.

True, these people may be very intelligent. But in whose does their intelligence and power serve? Once the social circumstances are taken into account, there can be only one answer: Themselves, and nobody but.

@Urza: I disagree. True, my initial use of the word "demonize" was incorrect. After all, you did not use any explicit adjectives to describe anybody. When you described the people as "complacent, stupid and lazy," you fulfilled the third definition of "demonize," according to Dictionary.com:

3. To mark out or describe as evil or culpable: the technique of demonizing the enemy in the run-up to war

The adjectives you used clearly suggest that you believe them to be at fault for their own misery. Second, you certainly did "suggest" that you couldn't have cared less for the subject matter even if you did not explicitly say so (again, citing Dictionary.com):

im·plied
adjective
involved, indicated, or suggested without being directly or explicitly stated; tacitly understood: an implied rebuke; an implied compliment.

I already admitted that I misunderstood where you were coming from, and I apologized for it. I explained that the brevity of your comments "implied" that you did not have much interest in the subject matter. It came off as though protestors annoy you, and nothing more. That is why I wished you had explained yourself first, rather than provide Wikipedia links on "Slacktivism".

@dickfour: The protestors do not want to create a utopia. They merely want to reform capitalism. There was no socialist program advocated at the marches. On the contrary, they have tried to portray themselves as apolitical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    bruh
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys how do i delete a post
    you don't
    you can report it and request deletion
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last