Hacking Wake PC via Wii via WOL

mariogirotti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With MPlayer-CE there is an impressive video player available that works perfect for me with smb shares on my PC.
Unfortunatly my PC with all my videos is located in my office (and is not 'always-on' for power saving reasons) and my wii is located in my living room.
Wouldn't it be cool the start the PC via the Wii ?

So now I am looking for someone how is able to write a little homebrew app. that is able to send/broadcast a wake-on-lan package to the network to a configurable MAC address.

Can't be that difficult, or ?

Fure sure the next step would be to have a tool that shuts down the PC via the Wii...
wink.gif

celebraces

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.celebraces.com
XP
Country
I disagree, it's not pointless. It'd be a nice features. I get the same issue with my Xbox, I want to watch a video or something in XMBC and my PC's turned off. I think shutting down the PC would be trivial, but I don't know about wake on lan...

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yakboy said:
That would be pointless, just leave your PC on like everyone else.

can't you read? he said that he cant for power-saving reasons

i also 3rd the idea being quite a useful one (i also use SMB shares)..if only my wlan adapter had WOL..>.>

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't Mplayer run on top of a Wii linux? As long as that is built with a distro that has a tool to send WOL packages you can just use that (if not you could build it yourself), assuming LAN is in there and you can get yourself a terminal / add a button for sending the package. Else you can via any of the linux distros I've seen so far for the Wii I think.

@xbox_comment: The same thing can be done via your Xbox, as long as you can get an application that can send the proper package you can use it to send that package. Dunno if there is anything out there that can however (prolly some linux could), no experiences with the xbox
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Found a c code, changed a few places in the code... compiled, ran...

It just complained about it could not create a socket... (hmm... probably I should have added special network initialize call specific(?) to the wii)

mariogirotti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
Found a c code, changed a few places in the code... compiled, ran...

It just complained about it could not create a socket... (hmm... probably I should have added special network initialize call specific(?) to the wii)

This sounds good...
Seems that the only thing we need is to correct network initialization. Isn't this done in many Wii apps like FTPii and even in MPlayer-CE itself. Unfortunatly I have absolutly no programming skills / experiences. I also checked on Wiibrew.org for some tutorials about networ and Wii but was not successful.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was thinking, you would need to have the PC cabled im pretty sure.
And all relevant PC BIOS options on.
And make sure the magic packet is created right, and not altered along the way.
And make some way to input the MAC address of the PC.

But if those issues are worked out, awesome potiential!

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Here is the one I modified,

http://www.gcd.org/sengoku/docs/wol.c

added wii specific headers, definitions
changed hp->h_addr to hp->h_addr_list[0] ,
changed all socket related stuff to be prefixed with "net_"

and added some console initialization routines along with constant arguments for ip address and mac address...

I'll try add a network init code and test when I get home...
Code seems to be simple but of course there could be some limitations either in libogc or wii's wireless card then this won't work...

By the way on my pc bios there is no settings labeled as wake on lan... but there are a bunch of wake up options like from ps2 mouse / ps2 keyboard blah blah... and there is one regarding pci / pcie... could it be that it doesn't support wake on lan? Pretty much new board actually...

yakboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nehe32 said:
yakboy said:
That would be pointless, just leave your PC on like everyone else.

can't you read? he said that he cant for power-saving reasons

i also 3rd the idea being quite a useful one (i also use SMB shares)..if only my wlan adapter had WOL..>.>

It's called changing the setting in Windows and the BIOS. If he isn't capable of doing that then he is in bigger trouble. It's not like someone is forcing him to have everything go into power save mode. I aware these forms are becoming noob central.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It may be called Wake On Network/Wake On NIC or whatever. But it sounds like it doesnt have the option. Just try turning them all on, and testing it. If it works, it works, if it doesnt, your board does not support WOL

Maybe a PCI lan card would work?

mariogirotti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
Here is the one I modified,

http://www.gcd.org/sengoku/docs/wol.c

added wii specific headers, definitions
changed hp->h_addr to hp->h_addr_list[0] ,
changed all socket related stuff to be prefixed with "net_"

and added some console initialization routines along with constant arguments for ip address and mac address...

I'll try add a network init code and test when I get home...
Code seems to be simple but of course there could be some limitations either in libogc or wii's wireless card then this won't work...

By the way on my pc bios there is no settings labeled as wake on lan... but there are a bunch of wake up options like from ps2 mouse / ps2 keyboard blah blah... and there is one regarding pci / pcie... could it be that it doesn't support wake on lan? Pretty much new board actually...

I also do not have a specific option in the BIOS for WakeOn LAN but you can configure this in the advanced dialog of your networking controller in the device manager (if your network interface is capable of this feature).

I am looking forward for a first testversion from WiiCrazy...

I've already tested with a second WINXP PC and a free WOL tool that WOL works for me.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
yakboy said:
It's called changing the setting in Windows and the BIOS. If he isn't capable of doing that then he is in bigger trouble. It's not like someone is forcing him to have everything go into power save mode. I aware these forms are becoming noob central.

Right OK. So I've set my PC to go to sleep after x minutes of inactivity. I still need to walk over to it to turn it on, unless of course the Wii can turn it on for me.

Your argument seems empty, I don't really know where you're going with it.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
No luck, added the initialization part, still can't create socket... wake up on lan uses udp protocol. but socket support in wii (either through libogc or from system) doesn't allow creation of sockets with udp protocol...

ps: here is a reference about the subject : http://dso.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8857

ps2: by the way, there is a public service to create those magic packets over udp... http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx , you can configure your router and then using opera channel you can send wake on lan packets to your pc
tongue.gif

ps3: or you can use this one : http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on