Waiting for ags 101 decided to dye buttons

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by FIAWOL3141, Oct 29, 2016.

1. FIAWOL3141
    OP

FIAWOL3141 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    United States
    I wanted to spice up the wife's GBA and give her some black accent to her red console but I wasn't able to find any black buttons or bumpers. I found in a R/C forum where someone suggested that you could dye plastic parts with Rit fabric dye. The thread also mentioned cleaning your parts with acetone before dyeing, don't do that with the side bumpers they just dissolve into goo. The other parts hold up to it well enough. I put the parts in a mesh strainer sitting in a pot with about two cups of water and a full bottle of liquid dye, that was prolly overkill but that was the only reason I bought the dye and I didn't want to mess around. I fiddled with it the entire time, I was nervous because it didn't look like it was working but as soon as the water started to roll the parts instantly turned black. I ended the parts and dried them and slapped them in her case. She loves the look.

2. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Ha, good to know that RIT fabric dye works on some plastics.

3. FIAWOL3141
    OP

FIAWOL3141 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    United States
  4. astrangeone

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Very unique! I'm probably going to do that to an old original gameboy (I don't like the red buttons...)

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    This is beautiful! I need this on my white GBA.

6. FIAWOL3141
    OP

FIAWOL3141 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    United States
    Thanks, I haven't been around very long and I was nervous this had been played out. I appreciate the complement. Lol it matches her phone case too.

7. deishido

deishido Texture Modder

Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    Indiana
    Wow, this turned out great. Does this process work regardless of the original colors? (Does the acetone kinda like, bleach the original colors or something?)

8. FIAWOL3141
    OP

FIAWOL3141 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    United States
    Oooh I will have to second that! I didn't even think of that! I'm gunna order a white case tonight for myself!
    Deishido, I don't think the acetone does anything but strip off any oil that might be on the surface. Next time I'll prolly just use soap and water and rinse it real well before I dye it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I used the liquid dye in the bottle as aroused to the dissolveable power even tho it was more expensive because it said it was ment for synthetic or poly fibers. The powder said it was for natural cotton. *shrug* the R/C guy in his thread used the powder and it worked for him. But like I said, I wasn't interested in messing around.

VinsCool likes this.
  9. astrangeone

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I honestly didn't know they made a synthetic dye. Was more used to the powdered stuff, and that always gave mixed results.

Looks on Amazon: They make a royal purple dye. I might have to get some extra 3DS covers/buttons and plates and dye an entirely purple 3DS.

10. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Oh my god I need this so much for my GBA.

astrangeone likes this.
  11. FIAWOL3141
    OP

FIAWOL3141 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    United States
    I really don't know how well this works for every case. This was my first try. The grey original plastic took the color really well.

astrangeone likes this.