Wait to upgrade to an enhanced DSi card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Dec 5, 2010.

Dec 5, 2010
  1. gumbyx84
    OP

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my AceKard 2i so I can have GBA emulation on my XL. ATM we only have the DSTwo, but soon the CycloDS iEvolution and iSmart MM will be out. Should I wait until both the iEvo and iSmart MM are released before make a decision? We don't know if they will be better or worse then the DSTwo. They might even be better and/or cheaper. Even if they all function at the same level, I'm hoping the DSTwo will drop in price (a bit) to compete with its new competitors.

2. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    the ismart mm is already out, priced about the same as the dstwo but cpu is slower

who knows what the cycloDS(i) will be, but I'm pretty sure it'll cost more than the dstwo, the regular cyclods already cost more than the dstwo
    and you should already know to wait another week or two for the cycloDS(i), and see what it has to offer

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I would just stick to buying a DSTwo, they've already established a lot.

5. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    In my honest opinion, I'd just say grab a GBA Emulator for your PC/Mac and a USB Controller and not spend money on another flashcard for the DSi.

I would instead save the money for any flashcards for the 3DS coming out in MARCH next year. That's about 4 months from now. Wait a while ok?

I almost failed to mention that the 3DS comes out in Japan a month early then the rest of the world, so by the time it is released in the USA, it will most likely be hacked.

As for GBA Emulator, I'd say go with Visual Boy Advance.
    Make sure you are getting the latest version though. The official release is outdated. Get the open source release!
    The most recent Open source release for Visual Boy Advance is;
    VisualBoyAdvance-M (SVN956)

It supports multiplayer both on local machine via opening multiple VBA windows, LAN, and Internet via Peer-to-peer connection! (Anyone up for a game of Zelda Four Swords?)

6. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    @DJ91990

The point in buying a DStwo to play GBA is for its portability.

Also, the idea of a flashcart coming out for the 3DS in just a month would be unlikely with all the new security measures that Nintendo is taking. If what Nintendo is saying about the 3DS's security is true then I wouldn't expect to see any code running on it for a while.

7. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The good part about the slower cpu is that it doesnt drain as much battery as DStwo

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    But I'm pretty sure you can underclock the DStwo, so there would be no point in getting the iEvo if you're only getting it for the lower CPU clock.

9. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    I believe Dr.Aqua was referring to the iSMM. No one knows how fast the iEvo's CPU will be or even if it will have a CPU.

10. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I wasn't really referring to the iEvo. I was trying to refer to whatever he was referring to.

11. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    The iEvo can *supposedly* run in DSi mode so if you have the money and it's true, well, it's a no-brainer