Wait so now any model of PSP can run CFW?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by raylgo, May 6, 2011.

May 6, 2011
  1. raylgo
    OP

Member raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I'm getting confused... o_0 Are the stickies still up to date?

Last i heard is that psp 3000s are semi hackable (have to redo the hack when power is off), some 2000s are not hackable, and 1000s are fully hackable...

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The stickies only go into the 5.x firmwares.

There's new 6.x custom firmwares , but they change the game. They work on anything that's 6.35 or less, and can be fully-installed even on a PSP Go (the only thing they can't full-install on is some later 3000s).

The issue is they break compatibility with some homebrews and plugins (which was a reason people didn't want to originally make a 6.x CFW in the first place), and they also lack some PSX compatibility because there's no POPSloader.

If something like POPSloader comes out to fix all the broken PSX games then the stickies can be updated as it'll even the playing field, but right now it's just too damn complex and if I change it the purists will complain, as many people still think 5.x is the best.

With the PSP it's not so much "Use this or use this", as the different firmwares can be gotten to different ways, and have up and down sides and blah blah blah.

Actually, I'll put up a poll on this... because if people don't mind, I'll re-write the guides and shit (when I have time) to focus on just the 6.x firmwares since they're a lot simpler.

3. badnat

Member badnat GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd say the improvements to image scaling with the "custom" option far outweigh the somewhat limited compatibility. Compatibility seems pretty good anyways; I've only had problems with two rather obscure games.

4. Rydian

United States
    It's not perfect, so people will complain... though I guess 6.x is the only choice for many models, and once you're on 6.x those that could use 5.x at all can downgrade for certain games if needed...

5. raylgo
    OP

Philippines
    So right now all the Psps are fully hackable but not all versions are as compatible with Popsloader and some homebrew as others?

And is the best kind of psp for homebrew and popsloader is the 2000 series? The stickies say that some of the 2000 series are not hackable... Does this still hold true now?

6. charliemd

Newcomer charliemd Newbie

United Kingdom
    Yes some later 2000's contain "unhackable" motherboards but with the arrival of HENs this is not really a problem anymore

a quick run down of how different models are hackable

1000/early 2000 - can have full custom firmware installed

late 2000/3000/Go - can run HEN's which allow custom firmware style functions

7. raylgo
    OP

Philippines
    Oh alright. So the "unhackable" label of any of the PSPs are no longer applicable but not all of them are made equal in compatibility just yet...

I'll go look for an early 2000 series then... Any Firmware i should be wary of? I'm guessing that 6.35 and below wouldnt be a problem according to Rydian's post... And can those Psps be downgraded even if it goes to 6.35?

8. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Hang on.

I have two PSP 2000s that are fully hacked (with a TOOL battery & MMS).

Should I keep them as they are? Is the old CFW (for those who have it) better than the new CFW?

9. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    What Plugins and games do you use?

If you play any of these:

Biohazard 2 Beta
    Crash Compilation
    Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix
    Dance Dance Revolution Extra Mix
    Dance Dance Revolution Konamix
    Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers
    Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (clipping issues)
    InuYasha - A Feudal Fairy Tale
    Kiricou
    Lego Racers
    Looney Tunes: Lost in time
    One Piece Grand Battle
    Road Rash 3D
    Skullmonkeys
    Sports Car GT
    Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    Wild 9

PSX games, and want to keep playing them, don't update. Otherwise just about all your other PSX games should work.

And if you use any really, really old 3.XX kernel plugins and wanna keep them. Just about all 5.XX plugins and everything you probably use works on 6.XX now. Also, almost all Homebrew works on 6.XX now.

It's really your call, but since 6.XX has BEST ISO support if you play just PSP games you should update (especially if you want online).

If you don't like it then you could always downgrade back using HellCat's Recovery Flasher 1.65.

@ Chaliemd: I dunno what you're talking about. 6.XX has "full CFW" now. 6.20 PRO-5 can be installed permanently to any PSP (besides the NEWEST 3000 models in stores) and works as a FULL CFW. 6.35 has a temporary but still full featured CFW.

10. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    You can add Power Stone Collection to your list of non-working games too.

(Even though it hardly works on ANY firmware, the only firmware I've got it working on is GEN D3 but only then I could play Power Stone 2)

11. Schlupi

United States
    Really? Strange, it works fine on my PSP Go. Maybe you have a bad ISO? It has worked for me and my friends since 5.00 M33. [​IMG] And that list is for PSX games, not PSP, but I guess you're right there ARE few non-working games on PRO (but that goes for any CFW).

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Jelly.

I've must of downloaded it about 10 times from different sources and none of them work.
    Other people have said it doesn't work too so I figured it was one of those games that nobody cares about and never got working.

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    what the hell are you thinking? stay on your older firmware, why would you want to use newer cfw?

14. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    not particularly, newer psp releases are patched to work on older cfw anyway so there is no reason to update.

15. Schlupi

United States
    Some people (like myself) prefer clean releases, and will play patched games but I would rather not have to wait for people to patch games. Remember how long it took for GEN-D2 to come out to play Disgaea 2 years back? Or how long it took for a fix for BBS? I like to be able to have best PSP ISO compatibility easy and clean. And since all my homebrew, plugins, and PSX games I play work, 6.20 PRO-5 boasts online play with no issues over 5.XX.

Like I said, it's a matter of preference. No need to call people stupid or crazy over considering to update; it suits some people. Instead try explaining the differences to them instead of letting them remain ignorant.

kthksbai

@ prwlr.: Maybe... if I can I will help you out. [​IMG] Mine is the original, clean copy from Hako waaaaay back when form the good ol' days. Maybe that info will help you.

16. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    6.20/ 6.35 Pro-BX really has changed the game especially the permanent patch. It looks like being the new standard.

17. charliemd

Newcomer charliemd Newbie

United Kingdom

Yes but technically it is still a HEN or LCFW its just has a patch that boots into the HEN even on a coldboot

you are right tho i probably should have mentioned that [​IMG]

18. Rydian

United States
    It's not a HEN because it's much more than a Homebrew ENabler.

It's not an LCFW because it literally does modify the system files permanently (though it makes a backup of the main one so that it can be restored when you uninstall the CFW).

The install method it uses is different than previously, but that's because the previous method doesn't work on newer motherboards (with added IPL sanity checks).