WAD Managing Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ayojoe, Jun 22, 2009.

Jun 22, 2009

WAD Managing Questions by ayojoe at 1:14 PM (2,057 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ayojoe
    OP

Newcomer ayojoe Advanced Member

United States
    Hey all, I have a few questions on managing WADs, it'd be helpful if someone could answer them but here's some info first.

- I have a USA/NTSC Wii on 4.0 and this is all the following that's been done to it:

- I have HBC and DVDx installed from BannerBomb on 4.0. Then on the HBC, I used the method of downgrading and then installing IOS35 on default settings (with Comex's DVDx installer and WAD Manager 1.4, respectively) + installing CIOSv7 on IOS35 (also through the WAD Manager). I also installed the patched IOS60 for WADs to be played off the SD Card Menu.

Now my questions:

1. Which IOS on WAD Manager 1.4 should I install my WADs off of. Would it be IOS35 since my downgrading/installing had to do with that?

2. Am I now safe to install WADs? How do you uninstall WADs on WAD Manager 1.4?

3. What is IOS36 for? Do I need to install it for anything? Again, I have CIOSv7 installed on IOS35.

4. About Tickets and Nintendo's ability to see them through the (probably now former Shop Channel) and current Nintendo Channel: Say I move a WAD to the SD Card Menu w/ out copying, do the tickets move with it or stay on the Wii System Memory? What about if I want to move it back to the Wii menu, would uninstalling it through WAD Manager get rid of everything normally including tickets and directory/all info on the WAD.

5. Can I run Backup Launcher now since I have DVDx (from bannerbomb) and CIOSv7 both installed. Does anything interfere that I installed CIOSv7 on IOS35 through WAD Manager?

6. If I wanted to install cMIOS for GameCube backups, would I do it through WAD Manager like CIOS? And could I just run GC backups from BUL or would I need the seperate GC Launcher or something like that?

I highly apologize from the massive questions, but it's only because I'm extremely cautious. If you could number the answers like I had with my questions, that would be much appreciated.

2. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    Ok here goes

1. If im not mistaken ios 249

2.Yes go ahead and install wads. press the minus button on the wii mote to uninstall.

3.Ios 36 is for some games and it is replaced by cIOS36 rev 10

4.They stay in the Wii System Memory. Yes uninstalling using wad manager will delete all however deleting through data management wont delete it all.

5. Yes just install the backup launcher assuming you have ios249 installed which you should.

6. Im sorry no experience with GC games

3. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    why such an old version of cIOS? that one doesn't even support USB devices for wad manager or USB Loader.

Update to at least cIOS rev10.

4. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    1. As long as you have installed a cIOS you then start using IOS249 for wad manager generally.

2. Wad manager 1.4 is pretty self explanatory with it if you run it. Just click the wad again and it will prompt you whether you want to install or uninstall it.

3. IOS36 is not replaced by cIOS36 rev 10 and has nothing to do with the actual IOS36 on your system at all. All cIOS revisions from waninkoko install to IOS249, even that cIOSv7 you installed. You only USED IOS35 to do it. When it says cIOS36 rev10 it just means that it's an IOS BASED off of the original IOS36 and modified with revision 10 of the dip module and installed to IOS249. Rev 13 is called cIOS38 rev13 because it is based off IOS38 in the same fashion.

Edit: Actually answering your question about it, I think you need to install a certain IOS36 to be able to install preloader or something.

From the ultimate 4.0 guide FAQ:
    How do I fix the error when installing preloader "current IOS(36) has the fakesign bug fixed"?

Install "IOS36-64-v1042.wad" which can be found on a disc or using the Offline Pack

4. Yes the ticket of a WAD will always stay on your Wii's memory until you uninstall it via the wad you used or anytitledeleter (using the original wad with wad manager to do it is easier.)

5. Yes as long as you have a cIOS revision above 7 you should be able to run backups through a backup launcher, but I would recommend first running a cIOS installer of a more recent revision such as rev10 or something. Grab the cIOS rev10 installer and rename the .dol file to boot.dol and run it like you would a normal application through the HBC(not wad manager) and just select network install to have it get the IOS36 it needs from the internet. Then you can use any backup launcher (Neogamma R4 for disc based is most recent I believe, or any USB loader if you want to use one of those.)

6. There should be a cMIOS installer that will be similar to the cIOS installer apps (the one mentioned above not the wad form.) There should be some sort of pack somewhere that you should be able to find that has a GC backup launcher and the cMIOS installer bundled together. Should actually be able to find it on this site...

5. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    First, thanks for your time, consideration, care, and thought into answering my questions so quickly. Just a few more things I should tell you..

I got my launch-day Wii back from Nintendo repair from a black-screen brick (this was not caused by homebrew, my flash memory was goin bad and many things would freeze/lock and wouldn't load).

What I got back was the same Wii, with the same serial. The receipt said all they fixed was the "main circuit board" and "disc drive mechanism".

If I was able to use bannerbomb for HBC, DVDx and also install these IOS35 downgrades/installations, plus CIOSv7 on IOS35, and finally IOS60 patched: does this mean I'm safe? I'm just making sure Nintendo didn't update my Wii with LU64 components while they were repairing it.

A few last things..

- Do I need to keep the same WADs installed on my Wii, still left on the wad folder in my SD Card just incase I want uninstall them. Or can the WAD Manager uninstall WADs by recognizing them on the System?

- Just to make sure, if I installed CIOSv7 on IOS35 through WAD Manager, I can still use Backup Launcher? Also, how do you install IOS249, is that through the WAD Manager or a separate app/boot.dol operation? It's fully required for backups right? Am I too late now?

- Should I upgrade to CIOS36 rev10? Does it work with WADs and Backups on 4.0?

Thanks for your time man. I appreciate it.

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    1. You will need the wad file you use to install to uninstall it through wad manager, but you can keep it on your PC if you don't want to keep it on your sd card.

Edit: Don't use any wad's dealing with IOS's to uninstall anything though. You generally never want to delete an IOS you installed. Always just install over IOS's to change it in some way if you need to. Deleting them could cause bricks or at least some things to stop functioning. So any wad's of those that you've used already you can get rid of.

2. I told you in my post above that you didn't install cIOSv7 on IOS35. You USED IOS35 to install it TO IOS249. Wad Manager basically just needs a vulnerable IOS to use to install things. That was why you downgraded IOS35 to install the vulnerable one so wad manager can use it to install that cIOSv7 to IOS249. After that you can just use IOS249 for Wad Manager as that is also a vulnerable IOS that it can use. Any cIOS that you deal with will install to IOS249 generally (unless it's something other than Waninkoko's cIOS like Hermes' cIOS or something, but you won't generally come across those unless you're specifically looking for them)

So basically you already have cIOS installed to IOS249, but it's a kinda outdated revision.

3. Yes upgrade to cIOS36 rev10. It will just install over your cIOSv7 at IOS249. It's one of the most stable and up to date revisions out at the moment, though other usb devices may stop working with it, and if you need one of them then you can update to at least rev12 I think to fix it.

Any cIOS works for Wad's and backups on 4.0, it's just a matter of being more up to date to work with more recent games/fix bugs in older revisions.

7. ayojoe
    OP

United States
    Ah, Sorry about your first post, I hadn't refreshed the page while I was still writing more questions from the post after my OP. You've made this a whole lot easier for me, honestly. I'm very thankful for your attention and help. What did you mean by being careful with "wads that deal with IOS" and not to accidentally delete an IOS that way?

I think I'd be safe if I'm only WAD'ing some games (that I do own on original cartridge but hate having no A/V cords for my SNES). So when I go to uninstall a WAD, I just go to IOS249 and then to my Wii SD and hit the minus button, and then it will find the wad on the system and delete it, I got that. And it's also the same way for installing.

What did djda (post after my first one) mean about having IOS249 installed for backups, or did he mean having a CIOS installed for Backup Launcher?

Edit: One last thing, which CIOS do you prefer? I'm looking for the one with best stability and no bugs/issues. I'm leaning towards CIOS36rev10 after seeing the poll in this forum category. I basically want to do some backups (to try and then buy) and do VC/WiiWare/Safe Custom WADs. I don't see the point of having HBC apps take up my Wii memory when they could be easily accessible from the HBC and SD Card, I'm sure that will keep me away from any WADs that will deal with IOS' in general right? Isn't IOS36-64-v1042.wad needed for installation of CIOS36rev10?