Hacking WAD Manager sanity check possible?

ozguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way that perhaps WAD Manager could be modified to incorporate some kind of sanity check on wad files before it tries to install/uninstall them?

For example:
1. Detect if a WAD has a bad banner
2. If a wad includes changes to IOS60, warn the user
3. Report how many blocks are free in the NAND, and how many blocks are required
4. Warn if user is trying to uninstall essential files

Yes, there are plenty of warnings throughout the forum that installing wads can be dangerous, but there are also plenty of guides (including ones intended for 'noobs') that require the use of wad manager.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
2 and 4 should be possible since it only incorporates a check if the WAD has a specific TitleID which will be checked with a list of Titles that are known as essential.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
#3 should in theory be doable (or at least be able to estimate). Someone did have the size to block ratio (something like 8 blocks to 1Mb or such) posted around here somewhere.

#1 is likely not doable right now as we have no way of processing/viewing banners using 'brew. We likely shouldn't even bother with this anyway, since anyone with a brain who's installing wads should have at least preloader, and banner bricks are becoming less of an issue (people like to uninstall IOS60 now...).

As another suggestion, why not disallow the uninstall of those essential titles (IOS60, System menus, etc.)? That'd help make it noob proof...

Timmy5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nub : "Warnings LOLOLOL I dont need those, I am 1337 h4xor"

No matter how many warnings, How many times, Idiots will be idiots...
so 2 and 4 wont matter

but as for the space of the nand, thats a good idea.

and 1 is to ideal, it would be nice, but I don't see it happening (at least not soon)

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Nub : "Warnings LOLOLOL I dont need those, I am 1337 h4xor"
...Idiots will be idiots...
Got that right. Knowing a few noobs, the next post likely would be...

Nub: My wii is bricked...I uninstalled this thing called IOS60 and i get a black screen now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."