WAD Manager sanity check possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ozguy, Sep 5, 2009.

Sep 5, 2009
  1. ozguy
    OP

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there any way that perhaps WAD Manager could be modified to incorporate some kind of sanity check on wad files before it tries to install/uninstall them?

For example:
    1. Detect if a WAD has a bad banner
    2. If a wad includes changes to IOS60, warn the user
    3. Report how many blocks are free in the NAND, and how many blocks are required
    4. Warn if user is trying to uninstall essential files

Yes, there are plenty of warnings throughout the forum that installing wads can be dangerous, but there are also plenty of guides (including ones intended for 'noobs') that require the use of wad manager.

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    2 and 4 should be possible since it only incorporates a check if the WAD has a specific TitleID which will be checked with a list of Titles that are known as essential.

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    #3 should in theory be doable (or at least be able to estimate). Someone did have the size to block ratio (something like 8 blocks to 1Mb or such) posted around here somewhere.

#1 is likely not doable right now as we have no way of processing/viewing banners using 'brew. We likely shouldn't even bother with this anyway, since anyone with a brain who's installing wads should have at least preloader, and banner bricks are becoming less of an issue (people like to uninstall IOS60 now...).

As another suggestion, why not disallow the uninstall of those essential titles (IOS60, System menus, etc.)? That'd help make it noob proof...

4. Timmy5000

Newcomer Timmy5000 Advanced Member

United States
    Nub : "Warnings LOLOLOL I dont need those, I am 1337 h4xor"

No matter how many warnings, How many times, Idiots will be idiots...
    so 2 and 4 wont matter

but as for the space of the nand, thats a good idea.

and 1 is to ideal, it would be nice, but I don't see it happening (at least not soon)

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Got that right. Knowing a few noobs, the next post likely would be...

Nub: My wii is bricked...I uninstalled this thing called IOS60 and i get a black screen now...