Hacking [vWii] Wiiflow freezes console upon bootup

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna need your guys help to decipher this problem. I've used wiiflow back in the day, but when it comes to vWii it just gives me nothing but issues. I even had issues when I set it up on a friend's vWii months back. Now that I'm setting it up for myself, I just get a black screen when I boot up wiiflow from the homebrew channel. This doesn't make sense to me since I have all the files necessary (The 4.2.1 download came with just an apps folder in it's archive, nothing else.) and I have CIOS D2X (vWii version) installed as directed by a guide.

Is this a common issue, or should I reinstall CIOS D2x to be sure (Can it even be reinstalled?)
I loaded up USB Loader GX and it boots fine, but it's not detecting any games on my SD card.

I have one Wii game in this directory: SD:/wbfs/Resident Evil 4/game.wbfs

So overall I can't understand why wiiflow would completely freeze my system. To the point where I had to unplug the power plug because I couldn't even shut it off otherwise.

Who else has this issue?

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong but I'm not sure you changed the directory in usb loader gx. By default I think it points to sd:games. I'd recommend using the SD card for gamecube games though.

As for WiiFlow? I've always had issues with it truthfully. I'm sure someone still uses it and could help you but I highly recommend GX over the other loaders.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong but I'm not sure you changed the directory in usb loader gx. By default I think it points to sd:games. I'd recommend using the SD card for gamecube games though.

As for WiiFlow? I've always had issues with it truthfully. I'm sure someone still uses it and could help you but I highly recommend GX over the other loaders.
Yep I have default settings. I mainly use this SD for Gamecube games setup in: SD:/games

USB Loader GX didn't display any wii or gamecube games. I even looked through the settings, it only ever mentions USB's and not SD so it made me wonder if it's USB only.

I know for sure that I correctly installed cios D2X. I can play Gamecube games just fine with Nintendont, but I have trouble with Wii games.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't be 100% sure it'll load Wii games from SD but I know gamecube games work from SD so long as its formatted to FAT32 and the games are placed in SD:games (I load GC from SD, Wii from USB). You can find the paths setting under USB Loader GX>Settings>Paths. The option you're looking for is at the bottom.

Have you tried Nintendont? See what happens when you select SD from Nintendont.

*EDIT* If Nintendont bitches or doesn't work then its something else causing issues, could be the card, IOS, whatever, GX should work just fine provided you've set up the paths correctly and you've properly formatted everything (GX supports Wii from NTFS drives)

Last edited by Vanth88,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't be 100% sure it'll load Wii games from SD but I know gamecube games work from SD so long as its formatted to FAT32 and the games are placed in SD:games (I load GC from SD, Wii from USB). You can find the paths setting under USB Loader GX>Settings>Paths. The option you're looking for is at the bottom.

Have you tried Nintendont? See what happens when you select SD from Nintendont.

*EDIT* If Nintendont bitches or doesn't work then its something else causing issues, could be the card, IOS, whatever, GX should work just fine provided you've set up the paths correctly and you've properly formatted everything (GX supports Wii from NTFS drives)

So I just got Wiiflow MOD and tried it out. I took a while to load up, but it worked and I got into the wiiflow menu finally. BUT when I tried to load a game, it just gets a black screen then brings me back to the wii menu.

So then I tried CFG USB Loader, the only other loader that supports loading wii games from the SD card. And no games show up (I have the game in SD:/wbfs/Resident Evil 4/game.wbfs)

USB Loader GX only supports loading Wii games from a hard drive or flash drive.

I would use a USB HDD, but shouldn't Wiiflow support SD cards when it clearly does support it? What's causing the game to just bring me back to the Wii menu?

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it could be the card, the IOS, or the game itself. I'm assuming apps like Nintendont work fine with your SD card, which probably means the IOS is to blame or the game itself. Try reinstalling the cIOS first. Use slot 249, base 56, and use slot 250, base 56, for the alt cios. Make 100% sure they're installed. Reinstall the IOS a few times if you have to as sometimes the install doesn't finish despite it saying otherwise ( yes its ok to reinstall). After that tinker with the IOS settings, switch between 249 and 250, see if one or the other boots the game. You might find that ALT boots but crashes midway, or vice versa.

Finally be sure you use SD Formatter to format your SD card https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ This is the recommended way to reformat, and you don't want to find out your SD card was to blame after hours of tampering with vwii, ios, and iso files.

BTW Did you download the latest version of USB Loader GX from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/latest/download ?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Wii games are not stored like GC games, most common format is SD(USB):\wbfs\title [ID6]\[ID6].wbfs
use WiiBackupManager to automate the proper naming conventions.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii games are not stored like GC games, most common format is SD(USB):\wbfs\title [ID6]\[ID6].wbfs
use WiiBackupManager to automate the proper naming conventions.
OOOH I changed [ID6].wbfs to game.wbfs because I thought that's how I remembered it. I should've left it alone, thanks!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Vanth88 News update, I got Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition working from my SD card, but through CFG USB loader. I renamed game.wbfs to RB4E08.wbfs and it now shows up in CFG.

The game works and everything. But I did a test with wiiflow and I get a DSI exception error and I have to unplug my system.
I guess I'll ditch wiiflow and only use CFG Loader for SD card use, and USB Loader GX for when I actually use an external hard drive.

Glad I could at least get this game to work, was worth putting it on my SD card. Wiiflow is so problematic on Wii U. It used to work flawless on the regular Wii.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Vanth88 News update, I got Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition working from my SD card, but through CFG USB loader. I renamed game.wbfs to RB4E08.wbfs and it now shows up in CFG.

The game works and everything. But I did a test with wiiflow and I get a DSI exception error and I have to unplug my system.
I guess I'll ditch wiiflow and only use CFG Loader for SD card use, and USB Loader GX for when I actually use an external hard drive.

Glad I could at least get this game to work, was worth putting it on my SD card. Wiiflow is so problematic on Wii U. It used to work flawless on the regular Wii.
Yeah I could never get WiiFlow to work correctly. I tried to but after switching to GX I never went back. I'm glad everything worksfor you though.

Nintendont requires NO cIOS.
Yeah I was saying if Nintendont works fine with your SD card then it must be the cIOS or game image (he wanted to play a Wii game from SD).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.