Homebrew vWii video mode question pertaining to Nintendont

eyeball226

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE EDIT: It's now clear that this isn't the right section for this as it's just a straight up Nintendont question with nothing Wii U specific. Could a kind mod move it please?

I mostly got to the bottom of this. All versions of SSBM need patching to work with the "video width" setting on Nintendont, but I just checked the commit on github and only the various NTSC versions got patched. I'm using the PAL version because there are various differences between the PAL version and any of the NTSC versions so I prefer it for nostalgic reasons.
I haven't a clue, but I don't suppose anyone knows how to make a version of the patch for the PAL version of the game?

Original post:
I'm wondering if someone knows enough about the Wii U video hardware to answer a question I have about Nintendont's "video width" parameter. It seems to top out at 720, but I'm finding a lot of games are still displaying narrower than 4:3 (on the gamepad as well as the TV, this isn't an issue with my TV).

My question is, is the maximum video width of 720 a hard limit imposed by the hardware scaler or might it have just been chosen by FIX94 as a theoretical "this should be the most anyone would need"? The obvious followup question is: could it be increased?

I've attached a couple of images, one showing the 4:3 image that's too narrow, and one showing that even if I run in 16:9 it doesn't reach the edges of the screen.

Attachments

• DSC_1347.JPG
    DSC_1347.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
  • DSC_1352.JPG
    DSC_1352.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 238
Last edited by eyeball226,

eyeball226

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, the original question has been rendered irrelevant.

I've realised that the problem is actually that the video width parameter is being completely ignored. Still, if anyone has any insight into that I'd appreciate it!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's an enable full screen mode. do you have that enabled? I'm using a framemeister, so mine are almost always full screen or close to it as I set the aspect ratio to 16x9. some require manually changing the aspect ratio like retroarch on the nes/snes/genesis minis.

eyeball226

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
there's an enable full screen mode. do you have that enabled? I'm using a framemeister, so mine are almost always full screen or close to it as I set the aspect ratio to 16x9. some require manually changing the aspect ratio like retroarch on the nes/snes/genesis minis.

You mean the "Wii U widescreen mode"? Yes, that's how the second picture was taken. I'd actually rather play in 4:3 (but actual 4:3, not this weird narrow AR), I just took the 16:9 picture to demonstrate the problem. As I said, it seems like the "video width" parameter is being ignored, as I tried it with the minimum of 640 and it was exactly the same as the maximum of 720.

I found this issue on the Nintendont issue tracker but it seems to imply the problem was fixed a long time ago: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/147
It's pretty weird.

I don't know if there's any chance of it being fixed now since it seems like FIX94 has left the Wii U scene?

Last edited by eyeball226,

eyeball226

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I mostly got to the bottom of this. All versions of SSBM need patching to work with the "video width" setting on Nintendont, but I just checked the commit on github and only the various NTSC versions got patched. I'm using the PAL version because there are various differences between the PAL version and any of the NTSC versions so I prefer it for nostalgic reasons.
I haven't a clue, but I don't suppose anyone knows how to make a version of the patch for the PAL version of the game?

Given that this isn't a vWii question any more, could a kindly mod move it to the right section?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended