Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATED 1/16/15 - first working image

*REPLACED DEAD LINK* Trinux 1.4b http://www.4shared.com/rar/inNj_-QGce/trinux-14b.html

For those who may not already know, our relentless developers finally managed to piece together the puzzle, and have some proof (yes, solid evidence) that the 'race attack' as described by fail0verflow is nearing completion. This portion of the overall 'hack' is far from finished, but is close enough to the point where it's time to branch off and begin working on the Linux portion of the over-encompassing project.

At this time, ONLY 8GB SD CARDS ARE KNOWN TO WORK. You are more than welcome to try with an SDHC card of larger size, but don't cry when it doesn't work. Though, you never know, it might work!

You can resize this image to work on a 2 or even a 4GB SD card by following this procedure thanks to rumblpak

Step 1: Get img and extract it.
open terminal and cd to directory of img with: cd /path/to/img

Step 2:
sudo fdisk -l trinux-1.0b.img
the output of this will show three partitions where the end of the of the third partition is what we are looking at.
in the case of trinux-1.0b the last line will read:
trinux-1.0b.img3 2713600 3762175 ...
THE IMPORTANT NUMBER IS THE 3762175, which is the last partition under the END column.

Step 3:
sudo truncate --size $[(3762175+1)*512] trinux-1.0b.img

What you need:
For the manual installation, you can extract the above archive, then the trinux_0.5.7z file inside of it, and write it to your SD card using one of the many available programs. 'dd' if you're cool, or if you prefer GUI, Win32DiskImager (sourceforge),
This SD image is broken up into three sections.
  1. fat16 partition to store our app, you can place others in the sd:/apps/ folder if you'd like.
  2. ext3 Linux filesystem
  3. Linux swap space (not activated at this time)
After writing the image to your SD, you will only see partition 1. Windows is incapable of reading ext3 partitions.
If you are lucky enough to successfully log in, you can try activating the swap space by typing:
  1. ls /dev/mmcblk* (since the swap space is on the last partition of this device, make note of this, it will probably be /dev/mmcblk0p3
  2. to activate type: swapon /dev/mmcblk0p3
  3. If that succeeds, let me know and I'll issue a patch that will automount the swap partition on bootup.
TO DO LIST AS PER PROJECT MANAGER TSK:
-SMP support for the powerPC processor (Espresso, actually utilizing all 3 cores simultaneously instead of just "seeing" all of them

-Create a much larger swap file to enhance performance even further from the previous task ;)

-Bundle Java runtime environment to increase software compatibility (my idea :P)

-Create better drivers for USB mass storage devices to increase compatibility

-Get all (compatible) USB mass storage devices to automount (simple enough, just need to install the package "usbmount," I honestly couldn't tell you why we haven't included this in previous releases by default :P.

-Last but not least, aid in finding a full blown CafeOS kernel exploit! Trinux will never reach its full potential without this! Once this has been found we can work on porting Trinux over to Wii U mode :)
I RECOMMEND MANUALLY WRITING THE IMAGE TO YOUR SD CARD.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Test #1: 2GB SDHC

I used Win32DiskImager instead of DD and everything worked just fine.

Everything loaded up correctly and I got to the point where it states:

Code:
 Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 whiite tty1

whiite login:

There is a flashing underscore after the login.

Test #2: 4GB SDHC

Unfortunately, both 4GB SDHC cards that I have did not work out for this test. My SanDisk 4GB Class 4 only has 3.68GB of free space when formatted, not enough for the 3.73GB .img file. The other card kept giving me a cyclic redundancy error and I could not even format it with either Disk Management, dd, EaseUS Partition Manager, etc.

I will try to get a new one tonight at Wal-Mart.

have you tried login in as root? lol

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this build is very picky about keyboard. i had to go to the used computer store and pick up a really old one... wired usb.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this could be interesting... Do I actually need a 4gb sd card though? I have many 8gb that are free and I know some linux (enough to install windows router driver and install/execute programs via terminal on my mint laptop.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this could be interesting... Do I actually need a 4gb sd card though? I have many 8gb that are free and I know some linux (enough to install windows router driver and install/execute programs via terminal on my mint laptop.

try it and report back?

also if the console goes idle you should be able to reactivate it by pressing any key on the keyboard. i have left mine idle without having to restore the image. maybe you have a flakey sd card? check your dmesg / syslog

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It should be said, DO NOT update if you are interested in doing this hax. Whether or not it blocks it is immaterial, this update will force new updates while the system is powered down.
you can disable that feature as my wiiu told me when I updated. also this does not affect vwii in any way from what I read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse