Tutorial  Updated

vWii - How to use USB microphones for karaoke games (from HDD)

Unless I checked back on everything that Cyan wrote, I don't recommend following this for now. I will hide my original guide in spoiler tags.

You may ask what this tutorial is all about since you just plug in your mics and start singing, right? Wrong!
It's complicated and confusing to get them working. However, after a huge amount of trying different USB ports and different cIOS setups, here's what finally worked for me.

I assume you're vWii* is already hacked and you already have the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX installed. This should probably work with other loaders like WiiFlow the same way though.
* this guide is for vWii (Virtual Wii mode on the Wii U) only. DON'T FOLLOW THESE STEPS ON YOUR NORMAL WII CONSOLE!

Here's the hardware setup:
  1. The HDD with the games has to be plugged into the upper back port of the Wii U
  2. The microphones can be into a USB hub (I have this one) and to into the bottom back port of the Wii U
My HDD is a big one (3.5 inch) and thus has a separate power cable that's plugged into my wall. If you're using a 2.5 HDD you have to use a Y-cable that is long enough so that the data lane can go into the upper back port and the power lane goes into one of the front ports of the Wii U (haven't tested that though).

And here are the steps to setup the software:
  1. Make sure you delete everything (c)IOS related from sd:/apps
  2. Go to this site and download the cIOS installer
  3. Put it on your SD card
  4. Insert the card, enter the Homebrew Channel and wait until the WiFi symbol at the bottom right stops blinking (it should be permanent instead)
  5. Now start the cIOS installer and exit the first screen by pressing A.
  6. Here comes the magic. While we stick relatively close to the guide that I linked in 2. we install the d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii instead of the non-alt beta52
  7. So install the beta53-alt with base 57 to slot 249 and then another time with base 56 to slot 250 (installing always takes some time, be patient)
  8. Leave the cIOS installer and start USB Loader GX
  9. Go to any karaoke game like We Sing, SingItStar or what ever you like, click on it and open its settings
  10. Change the loader IOS to 250 (default should be -1 so delete that and type in 250) and then make sure that emunand is disabled for this game (unfortunately karaoke games have problems in emunand)
  11. Save and you're good... now you should be able to launch the game and use the microphones if you have plugged in everything as written above before you started USB Loader GX

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: jeannotte

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
karaoke games ? are you telling it's a general problem ? or is that guide for a specific game ?
Because, like I mentioned to you before, each game has its own "IOS base" compatibility. you can't tell users to fix their issue by setting the loader's config to a slot number, it all depends on the game itself. some games need base56, other need base57, and some even need base58 or 53 or 38 !!
Note that the "We Sing" game's compatibilities are not all identical across the series, some "We sing" needs base56, while other "We sing" games need base57. it's not a general series compatibility, it's really Title based.

You didn't even mention which game title you tested your setup with. Is that all Sing it games? all we sing games? which ones ?
Are you sure r52 base56 doesn't work ?

I wouldn't recommend users to overwrite their slot249 (the default used by the loader) with r53, which has many compatibility issues.
We spent YEARS fixing guides (including the one you linked!!!) and user's setup to replace r53 with r52 (because latest version doesn't mean better version. latest is beta!), telling them to revert to a problematic setup is not what I would recommend back...
At least, if you really NEED r53, just install it in an additional slot (neither 249 or 250), for example 248 or 251. and set your "microphone game not working with r52" to that specific slot, and let all other games set to r52.

Telling users to replace their cIOS with a different version is asking for problems, many new thread will be created here to help them fix a problem they didn't have first with their other games.

If r53 is required on vWii and not Wii, that's an important information. I would be very curious is someone (you?) could make the test. maybe Wii and vWii are not initializing USB the same way.

r53 pro:
USB Port1 support for HDD. (not for mic and accessories on port1, as they work fine with r52 too).
Plug&play support for accessories (this is probably your issue, your timing when you plug the accessories, either before booting the console, before booting the loader, before launching the game, while in the game, etc.) with r52 you MUST plug them before launching the game. and it means the HUB has to be initialized, and mic powered ON before booting. Though, a user reports to plug them after or the game crashes... maybe that user is using r53.

r53 cons:
beta
HDD detection issue
emuNAND issue
no FAT module patch for vWii Steath HDD emuNAND support
I think there were another issue, I forgot about it. Some games launched on SD (wiiflow allows WBFS on SD) triggers Antipiracy detection.

As for your emuNAND comment, is that proven that music game have issues?
There are guides to use RockBand and add DLC on emuNAND, it can work, unlike Skyward sword which never does.

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You may ask what this tutorial is all about since you just plug in your mics and start singing, right? Wrong!
It's complicated and confusing to get them working. However, after a huge amount of trying different USB ports and different cIOS setups, here's what finally worked for me.

I assume you're vWii* is already hacked and you already have the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX installed. This should probably work with other loaders like WiiFlow the same way though.
* this guide is for vWii (Virtual Wii mode on the Wii U) only. DON'T FOLLOW THESE STEPS ON YOUR NORMAL WII CONSOLE!

Here's the hardware setup:
  1. The HDD with the games has to be plugged into the upper back port of the Wii U
  2. The microphones can be into a USB hub (I have this one) and to into the bottom back port of the Wii U
My HDD is a big one (3.5 inch) and thus has a separate power cable that's plugged into my wall. If you're using a 2.5 HDD you have to use a Y-cable that is long enough so that the data lane can go into the upper back port and the power lane goes into one of the front ports of the Wii U (haven't tested that though).

And here are the steps to setup the software:
  1. Make sure you delete everything (c)IOS related from sd:/apps
  2. Go to this site and download the cIOS installer
  3. Put it on your SD card
  4. Insert the card, enter the Homebrew Channel and wait until the WiFi symbol at the bottom right stops blinking (it should be permanent instead)
  5. Now start the cIOS installer and exit the first screen by pressing A.
  6. Here comes the magic. While we stick relatively close to the guide that I linked in 2. we install the d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii instead of the non-alt beta52
  7. So install the beta53-alt with base 57 to slot 249 and then another time with base 56 to slot 250 (installing always takes some time, be patient)
  8. Leave the cIOS installer and start USB Loader GX
  9. Go to any karaoke game like We Sing, SingItStar or what ever you like, click on it and open its settings
  10. Change the loader IOS to 250 (default should be -1 so delete that and type in 250) and then make sure that emunand is disabled for this game (unfortunately karaoke games have problems in emunand)
  11. Save and you're good... now you should be able to launch the game and use the microphones if you have plugged in everything as written above before you started USB Loader GX
I believe you should be using base 57 for games that have USB peripherals. At least I've read that it's required to use USB peripherals in Guitar Hero and Rock Band games but maybe that info was wrong. I believe beta52 will even work with base 57. It's been a while since I've done any Wii/vWii modding though so maybe my knowledge is a bit rusty. But I am almost sure beta53 is not needed as people were playing these games in USB loaders long before that existed.

Also. I believe with beta53 you can use the front USB ports for the HDD so any Y-cable will work. You can't use them for peripherals AFAIK but they work in USB loaders. It is a bit unsightly having the cable hanging out in front though. I guess a powered hub is always an option for those that don't like having the cable hanging out in front.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I believe you should be using base 57 for games that have USB peripherals.
It actually depends on the game. Like I mentionned on my post above, a same game series can have different needs, where with "We sing":
base57 : We sing Pop, Rock , Uk hits
base56 : We Sing Robbie Williams

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
karaoke games ? are you telling it's a general problem ? or is that guide for a specific game ?
Because, like I mentioned to you before, each game have its own "IOS base" compatibility. you can't tell users to fix their issue by setting the loader's config to a slot number, it all depends on the game itself. some games need base56, other need base57, and some even need base58 or 53 or 38 !!
Note that the "We Sing" game's compatibilities are not all identical across the series, some "We sing" needs base56, while other "We sing" games need base57. it's not a general series compatibility, it's really Title based.

You didn't even mention which game title you tested your setup with. Is that all Sing it games? all we sing games? which ones ?
Are you sure r52 base56 doesn't work ?

I wouldn't recommend users to overwrite their slot249 (the default used by the loader) with r53, which has many compatibility issues.
We spent YEARS fixing guides (including the one you linked!!!) and user's setup to replace r53 with r52 (because latest version doesn't mean better version. latest is beta!), telling them to revert to a problematic setup is not what I would recommend back...
At least, if you really NEED r53, just install it in an additional slot (neither 249 or 250), for example 248 or 251. and set your "microphone game not working with r52" to that specific slot, and let all other games set to r52.

Telling users to replace their cIOS with a different version is asking for problems, many new thread will be created here to help them fix a problem they didn't have first with their other games.

If r53 is required on vWii and not Wii, that's an important information. I would be very curious is someone (you?) could make the test. maybe Wii and vWii are not initializing USB the same way.

r53 pro:
USB Port1 support for HDD. (not for mic and accessories on port1, as they work fine with r52 too).
Plug&play support for accessories (this is probably your issue, your timing when you plug the accessories, either before booting the console, before booting the loader, before launching the game, while in the game, etc.) with r52 you MUST plug them before launching the game. and it means the HUB has to be initialized, and mic powered ON before booting. Though, a user reports to plug them after or the game crashes... maybe that user is using r53.

r53 cons:
beta
HDD detection issue
emuNAND issue
no FAT module patch for vWii Steath HDD emuNAND support
I think there were another issue, I forgot about it.

As for your emuNAND comment, is that proven that music game have issues?
There are guides to use RockBand and add DLC on emuNAND, it can work, unlike Skyward sword which never does.
I tested all We Sing games and all SingItStar games.
I'm sorry if I spread false information or confused ppl. Since this is only up for 1 day I don't think anyone already followed it. I will check back on this guide as soon as I find the time.
Thanks for your long and informative post.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for taking the time to do the tests :)
I don't have any microphone, and all I can do is gather user's reports to update the wiki.

Maybe vWii really requires r53 for these games, but like Real jdbye said, these games worked before r53 existed. but r53 exists only since vWii, so it's maybe a vWii issue only?
if you can come with a full list of game title you tested, that'll be great, I'll add them to the wiki too.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for taking the time to do the tests :)
I don't have any microphone, and all I can do is gather user's reports to update the wiki.

Maybe vWii really requires r53 for these games, but like Real jdbye said, these games worked before r53 existed. but r53 exists only since vWii, so it's maybe a vWii issue only?
if you can come with a full list of game title you tested, that'll be great, I'll add them to the wiki too.
I'll do, beside some further testing but I don't know when I find the time again. You know, real life and so on. But I'll definitely come back to this thread so you won't miss it.

But yeah, it's definitely a vWii issue from all the countless forums and sites I visited in the past few days upon my journey to get these games running on my vWii. Never had those issues on the original Wii back then.

adtamez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually was able to use USB instruments (including logitech microphones) by playing vWii games through USB Loader GX and using a separate HDD in Fat32 format. Wii games HDD goes on USB 0 (top back) and USB hub and instruments, including Wii U games HDD on USB 1(bottom back).

I am using the standard cIOS 56, dsx beta r52 on slot 249.

So far I have tested this with Rock Band and GH games as well as Disney Sing it.

hadi aulia

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i can confirm that logitech usb mic detected using cios d2x beta r52 base ios 56
mic check.jpg

Reactions: lordelan

hadi aulia

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I actually was able to use USB instruments (including logitech microphones) by playing vWii games through USB Loader GX and using a separate HDD in Fat32 format. Wii games HDD goes on USB 0 (top back) and USB hub and instruments, including Wii U games HDD on USB 1(bottom back).

I am using the standard cIOS 56, dsx beta r52 on slot 249.

So far I have tested this with Rock Band and GH games as well as Disney Sing it.
what rockband games you test?
i cant boot rock band 3 on my japan vwii, on us vwii it cant detect sd card for dlc
IMG_20220102_181230_352.jpg

IMG_20220102_181240_818.jpg

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's strange that it can't read the Sd card.
You launch it from vWii mode, right ? (not an injected channel on WiiU).
I suppose the SD is "common format" (MBR, FAT32, SDHC) (no idea if all games are compatible with SDXC)

As for RockBand 3, The wiki has a strange report.
It links to this post where the user said he is using a cIOS base37, but without telling if other bases have been tested and working or not.
I also don't know what a "ion drum kit" is, whether it's the official accessories or third parties, or just a spelling mistake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them