Hacking vWii Bricked – System shuts down after Health and Safety Information

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently bought a second-hand Wii U, that was bricked. I was able to uninstall Coldboot Haxchi and factory reset the system. Afterward, I installed Tiramisu and the Wii U end of things is working fine. However, I am not able to load vWii / Wii Mode or Virtual Console Wii / Gamecube Games at all. Every time I open Wii Mode it shows the Health and Safety Information, sometimes I am able to press A. After a few seconds I hear the DVD drive, the power LED flashes once and the system turns off (Red Power LED). I guess that the previous owner also made some mistakes installing Homebrewing in vWii. I obviously don't have a working NAND backup, as it was already broken when I got the Wii U. I also tried vWii Decaffeinator multiple times (Aggressive and Regenerate setting.txt) however I still have the same problem.
I hope that someone is able to help me, would be great to use my Wii U to its fullest. Thank you! :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you might want to try vWii Decaffeinator :
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/recover-vwii-ioses-channels?id=aggressive-mode

it's deleting vWii files (some, or all) and force a redownload from Nintendo's servers.

edit:
damn, I didn't read your post entirely before answering...
I see you already tried that, sorry.

Maybe your issue is because some files have been edited with FTPiiU and don't have proper permission ?
You can try the debugger with WUPserver, because some files need specific file's permission flag you can set using python scripts.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-vwii-unbrick-guide-by-garyodernichts.528329/

if the file system is affected, or you miss files, you'll need a NAND backup to extract files from it (or someone will help you find missing files as donator, as long as it's not a per-wii locked file?).
You'll have to know which files you are missing.

Last edited by Cyan,

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did another try today, that didn't help either. I used the vWii Decaffeinator, then uninstalled tiramisu and did a factory reset. Afterwards I did an update and tried the vWii without any modifications to the system, but still no luck.
The only option I could try is to use a working slccmpt dump with vWii NAND Restorer. Could someone hook me up with a slccmpt.bin from a working vWii?
I'm also open if anyone has any other ideas, I'm sadly pretty stuck at this point.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe I (for some unknown reason) had a similar issue at some point.

I fixed it by hammering through to a channel as quickly as possible somehow. Maybe you don't have enough time to try that, though.

Reactions: damnmyvwiiisbricked

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update: I got ahold of a Wii U with working vWii. I tried restoring the slccmpt.bin from that console with the otp.bin from my console which doesn't even start the vWii but goes right back to the Wii U menu. I then tried restoring the slccmpt.bin and otp.bin both from the console with the working console. That sadly yields the same result as before, my Wii U crashes and shuts down when I launch vWii.
Is there anything else I can try or am I just stuck with a broken vWii. I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe your issue is because some files have been edited with FTPiiU and don't have proper permission ?
You can try the debugger with WUPserver, because some files need specific file's permission flag you can set using python scripts.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-vwii-unbrick-guide-by-garyodernichts.528329/

if the file system is affected, or you miss files, you'll need a NAND backup to extract files from it (or someone will help you find missing files as donator, as long as it's not a per-wii locked file?).
You'll have to know which files you are missing.
I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.
Did you try what Cyan said?

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.
Did you try what Cyan said?
I used the vWii-NAND-Restorer from GaryOderNichts which should already have fixed permissions, doesn't it?

Also interesting that it varies, when my system crashes. Sometimes you see just a flash of the Health and Safety Information and sometimes you even get to press a. I never got further though sadly.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used the vWii-NAND-Restorer from GaryOderNichts which should already have fixed permissions, doesn't it?

Also interesting that it varies, when my system crashes. Sometimes you see just a flash of the Health and Safety Information and sometimes you even get to press a. I never got further though sadly.
I don't know if it fixes permission tbh. Probably does.
Looks to me like you tried everything thats possible.
I thought its not possible to fullbrick vWii with the newest Homebrews.

Reactions: damnmyvwiiisbricked

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe contact @GaryOderNichts ?
He made guides, he made apps, and he probably will have more ideas than us too :)
maybe new ideas not release yet for a problem nobody had yet ? you never know :P
True, if somebody knows a solution it's probably him. Will he see this post because you mentioned him or should I write him a PM? Thank you all for trying to help me! :)

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I added his name by editing my previous post, so he might not have been notified.
now, it'll work, it's not an edit this time ;)

@GaryOderNichts hello :)
If you have any idea, that would be great for him, and me (learning new things :P).
Hmm I've seen this issue before, but I have no idea what causes it.
Since @damnmyvwiiisbricked already used the decaffeinator in aggressive mode, and regenerated the setting.txt, I'm not sure what else might be wrong. Your vWii should be in a fully clean state now.

Rksoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I recently bought a second-hand Wii U, that was bricked. I was able to uninstall Coldboot Haxchi and factory reset the system. Afterward, I installed Tiramisu and the Wii U end of things is working fine. However, I am not able to load vWii / Wii Mode or Virtual Console Wii / Gamecube Games at all. Every time I open Wii Mode it shows the Health and Safety Information, sometimes I am able to press A. After a few seconds I hear the DVD drive, the power LED flashes once and the system turns off (Red Power LED). I guess that the previous owner also made some mistakes installing Homebrewing in vWii. I obviously don't have a working NAND backup, as it was already broken when I got the Wii U. I also tried vWii Decaffeinator multiple times (Aggressive and Regenerate setting.txt) however I still have the same problem.
I hope that someone is able to help me, would be great to use my Wii U to its fullest. Thank you! :)
Hey, i am having the exact same issue, did you find a solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Wtf