Hacking vWii Bricked – System shuts down after Health and Safety Information

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently bought a second-hand Wii U, that was bricked. I was able to uninstall Coldboot Haxchi and factory reset the system. Afterward, I installed Tiramisu and the Wii U end of things is working fine. However, I am not able to load vWii / Wii Mode or Virtual Console Wii / Gamecube Games at all. Every time I open Wii Mode it shows the Health and Safety Information, sometimes I am able to press A. After a few seconds I hear the DVD drive, the power LED flashes once and the system turns off (Red Power LED). I guess that the previous owner also made some mistakes installing Homebrewing in vWii. I obviously don't have a working NAND backup, as it was already broken when I got the Wii U. I also tried vWii Decaffeinator multiple times (Aggressive and Regenerate setting.txt) however I still have the same problem.
I hope that someone is able to help me, would be great to use my Wii U to its fullest. Thank you! :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you might want to try vWii Decaffeinator :
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/recover-vwii-ioses-channels?id=aggressive-mode

it's deleting vWii files (some, or all) and force a redownload from Nintendo's servers.

edit:
damn, I didn't read your post entirely before answering...
I see you already tried that, sorry.

Maybe your issue is because some files have been edited with FTPiiU and don't have proper permission ?
You can try the debugger with WUPserver, because some files need specific file's permission flag you can set using python scripts.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-vwii-unbrick-guide-by-garyodernichts.528329/

if the file system is affected, or you miss files, you'll need a NAND backup to extract files from it (or someone will help you find missing files as donator, as long as it's not a per-wii locked file?).
You'll have to know which files you are missing.

Last edited by Cyan,

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did another try today, that didn't help either. I used the vWii Decaffeinator, then uninstalled tiramisu and did a factory reset. Afterwards I did an update and tried the vWii without any modifications to the system, but still no luck.
The only option I could try is to use a working slccmpt dump with vWii NAND Restorer. Could someone hook me up with a slccmpt.bin from a working vWii?
I'm also open if anyone has any other ideas, I'm sadly pretty stuck at this point.

N7Kopper

Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe I (for some unknown reason) had a similar issue at some point.

I fixed it by hammering through to a channel as quickly as possible somehow. Maybe you don't have enough time to try that, though.

Reactions: damnmyvwiiisbricked

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update: I got ahold of a Wii U with working vWii. I tried restoring the slccmpt.bin from that console with the otp.bin from my console which doesn't even start the vWii but goes right back to the Wii U menu. I then tried restoring the slccmpt.bin and otp.bin both from the console with the working console. That sadly yields the same result as before, my Wii U crashes and shuts down when I launch vWii.
Is there anything else I can try or am I just stuck with a broken vWii. I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe your issue is because some files have been edited with FTPiiU and don't have proper permission ?
You can try the debugger with WUPserver, because some files need specific file's permission flag you can set using python scripts.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-vwii-unbrick-guide-by-garyodernichts.528329/

if the file system is affected, or you miss files, you'll need a NAND backup to extract files from it (or someone will help you find missing files as donator, as long as it's not a per-wii locked file?).
You'll have to know which files you are missing.
I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.
Did you try what Cyan said?

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just don't get how there isn't any option to bring it back to life.
Did you try what Cyan said?
I used the vWii-NAND-Restorer from GaryOderNichts which should already have fixed permissions, doesn't it?

Also interesting that it varies, when my system crashes. Sometimes you see just a flash of the Health and Safety Information and sometimes you even get to press a. I never got further though sadly.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used the vWii-NAND-Restorer from GaryOderNichts which should already have fixed permissions, doesn't it?

Also interesting that it varies, when my system crashes. Sometimes you see just a flash of the Health and Safety Information and sometimes you even get to press a. I never got further though sadly.
I don't know if it fixes permission tbh. Probably does.
Looks to me like you tried everything thats possible.
I thought its not possible to fullbrick vWii with the newest Homebrews.

Reactions: damnmyvwiiisbricked

damnmyvwiiisbricked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe contact @GaryOderNichts ?
He made guides, he made apps, and he probably will have more ideas than us too :)
maybe new ideas not release yet for a problem nobody had yet ? you never know :P
True, if somebody knows a solution it's probably him. Will he see this post because you mentioned him or should I write him a PM? Thank you all for trying to help me! :)

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I added his name by editing my previous post, so he might not have been notified.
now, it'll work, it's not an edit this time ;)

@GaryOderNichts hello :)
If you have any idea, that would be great for him, and me (learning new things :P).
Hmm I've seen this issue before, but I have no idea what causes it.
Since @damnmyvwiiisbricked already used the decaffeinator in aggressive mode, and regenerated the setting.txt, I'm not sure what else might be wrong. Your vWii should be in a fully clean state now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NoobletCheese @ NoobletCheese: sometimes the reverse is true