VSH level modding of the Vita UI

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
How come there is nothing in terms of UI modding on the Vita? Not even as much as flipping the colours to something more tolerable or editing the one wave that is present.

We have access to all the elements and partitions so why are we all use the same boring looking dash?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might be possible through the vs0 iirc partition. I think the vsh.self or the equivalent for the vita (just called shell.self) is located there. I doubt you'd have to touch the os0, which could be destructive. you can do some mods through the appmeta and app.db, but nothing major.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
if we could start https://github.com/cy33hc/vita-launcher instead of the Vita UI at boot it would be even better imo.

Also a great idea. Technically that should be easy enough to implement by jacking the loading process to launch the new front end but currently you've got to load the standard then forward. Wonder why?

The Vita UI is just so boring and its not really suited to these SD2Vita days. Was pondering why no one has looked into this given how active the entire PSP theme scene was and how far modders pushed the looks and functionality of the XMB. Ideally I'd be happy with the XMB style updated for Vita as it was quite neat.

might be possible through the vs0 iirc partition. I think the vsh.self or the equivalent for the vita (just called shell.self) is located there. I doubt you'd have to touch the os0, which could be destructive. you can do some mods through the appmeta and app.db, but nothing major.

Been a long time since the PSP scene but (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't we used to decrypt, mod then resign the VSH RCO files? Does such a thing exist for the Vita? I did find this fairly recent release that most people haven't seemed to notice:

vshPatch v1.0

Like repatch, but for system applications
Ever wanted to make a modification to vs0, but dont like the hastle of having to reinstall the OS if something breaks?
maybe want to try modify some RCO's or enable package installer? well now this is an "emulated VS0",
simply put your changes you want to make into ux0:/vshPatch/ and then the changes will be reflected in "vs0:" partition,
via the power of fios2
btw, the fios overlay type is 1, so writes will still goto real VS0 *assuming its read/write mounted
I made this to make modding RCO's easier, which can now be done with my other tool CXML-Decompiler in version 6
https://bitbucket.org/SilicaAndPina/CXML-Decompiler
Want an example of what RCO modding can do? it basically can theme anything on the console,
here: extract this into ux0:/vshPatch
https://vitatricks.xyz/theme/ExampleVideosBlueTheme.zip and open your videos app
you'll see the background is now blue. With the CXML Compiler this can be applied to any texture on the console,
as well as sound effects and text.

https://github.com/KuromeSan/vshPatch/releases

CXML-Decompiler​

A CXML Decompiler supporting PS4 and PSVita CXML Files, Such as rco, rcs and app.info

https://bitbucket.org/SilicaAndPina/CXML-Decompiler/downloads/

In practice:

Anyone played around with these mods yet?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure about whether we can recompile the rco files afterwards. I know that cxml decompiler works on the ps4, but we can't recompile the files after we've changed them. I think it extracts them and names them based on offset, but I don't know that for sure. as for the vita, I don't know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you made a mistake with the rco, wouldn't you have to reinstall the firmware? that's how it is sometimes with the ps3. it's more a pita on the vita though, because the recovery menu I think only accepts network firmware updates, since that's the way the vita is designed. you may be able to install the same firmware through qcma, but I'm not sure if it works in the recovery menu. it does on the livearea though. that's what the PSV Updates folder is for.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take that back, the dns for the vita might help prevent accidentally updating to the latest through the recovery menu, but the problem is that the dns doesn't work with psn, so if you want psn access, you have to take the dns off. I do remember this when I added tls to 3.60.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
if you made a mistake with the rco, wouldn't you have to reinstall the firmware? that's how it is sometimes with the ps3. it's more a pita on the vita though, because the recovery menu I think only accepts network firmware updates, since that's the way the vita is designed. you may be able to install the same firmware through qcma, but I'm not sure if it works in the recovery menu. it does on the livearea though. that's what the PSV Updates folder is for.

Yes, thats why the vshPatcher linked above is a handy development as it takes care of that issue. The recompiler however isn't something I've found nor seen mentioned anywhere and it would explain the lack of mods as well as why the aftermarket Launcher relies on loading the standard UI then going on from there.

This and the new GPU level drivers I linked here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-best-adrenaline-psp-picture-settings-ever.604395/#post-9688132

Are two potentially great areas that could take Vita customization and general usage to a whole nother level.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the compiler on my laptop:

1640628823924.png

it's mostly for ps4 usage, but it's pointless if there's no way to recompile the stuff. I thought of hex editing, which you can do with the icontex.qrc on the ps3 to change the default icons. you can just pad a smaller image, but you can't use a larger image or it will screw something up.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that I don't know. I messed a lot with modding the ps3, but not so much with the psv, other than app.db type mods. I didn't want to risk anything too extreme, especially with a dubious outcome.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just now read the vsh patch description. interesting that it emulates vs0. I think the reason why sony systems generally don't have an emunand is due to multiple partitions that can't be emulated together or something like that.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did one time change cma to the dex version without the dex shell.self, and it was unstable as fuck, constant crashes. I put back the original files after testing it.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
I just now read the vsh patch description. interesting that it emulates vs0. I think the reason why sony systems generally don't have an emunand is due to multiple partitions that can't be emulated together or something like that.

That makes sense. The UI modding on the PSP started off similar due to the bricking potential but once that was overcome using a similar method of calling files off the stick and not NAND it took a lot of the fear out. After a while of play it was obvious what to tweak and what to leave and then it was party time.

Still need that recompiler for the Vita though. Could you have a word with your scene buddies to see what the deal is with that and why we haven't seen it yet? There is literally no info on it anywhere on the net.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense. The UI modding on the PSP started off similar due to the bricking potential but once that was overcome using a similar method of calling files off the stick and not NAND it took a lot of the fear out. After a while of play it was obvious what to tweak and what to leave and then it was party time.

Still need that recompiler for the Vita though. Could you have a word with your scene buddies to see what the deal is with that and why we haven't seen it yet? There is literally no info on it anywhere on the net.
done:

1640631434633.png

I'll let you know if/when they respond.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi