Voluntary "homelessness" and alternative living arrangements.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to mention last time some of the fun and games I saw some of the people in financing property development go through, especially when a block of disused offices was allowed to be used as a residence (part owner had let his brother crash there for a little while). Apparently such a thing can cause quite a bit of trouble if the wrong people find out, or the person staying there kicks off.

So how does one go about not having an address? PO Box?
Some places won't accept a PO box for some things so it is not a universal. https://homelesslaw.wordpress.com/2...-post-office-box-instead-of-a-street-address/ has a bit more.

PO boxes are one thing, there are however remailing services that offer something other than a po box.

Several of my friends and siblings register at a house of a parent, grandparent or friend. Depending upon where you are in the world this can trouble some aspect of taxes for the owner of the place though.

There are some places that state you have to live within an area to do the job, firemen are a good example of this in many places. It just so happens that the registered address of 20 of them is a small flat somewhere in the zone. In some of those cases you have to work up a schedule so someone is always there but that is simple enough. Split 20 ways a cheap rent is pretty doable. I don't know how often it is utilised in this capacity for the sort of thing we are talking about here but it is an option.
If you are feeling a bit flush with your rent money going into your pocket instead then you might consider dropping some money ($20 USD might mean a lot to some) to someone for the hassle.

Some employers might allow something here, though this is more for post and not registered address.

In the above two cases it would need a lot of people you can trust, unless you can make multiple sub divisions.

On the less legal side of things there are often loads of abandoned houses. Don't screw it up and prepare things properly and much can be done. Be very careful with this as it is a reasonably popular way to send drugs, and also aspects of tax return fraud.

There are also ones you can contrive something for -- find a block of 20 flats managed by a nameless company, stick on a high vis vest and put a mailbox up saying flat 21, or flat 20a. No postman will question it and much can be done that way. Some employers might check something but if you have valid ID that is likely good enough for most and your living arrangements are your own. If you can get in with a doorman then even better.

but at $60,000 for a pre-built one you might as well just...buy a house lol. Even their "Shell's" are going to set you back $20k not including materials to finish the build.
60K USD is about the price of a deposit here (5% down mortgages technically still exist here but mainly went away a couple of months ago, 20% down usually gets you the better rates as well), get in some legal fees, the move and possibly getting the house ready and that is way gone.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then you'd need to live in Detroit.
Which could be OK if you don't need to work (for retired people) but probably is not too great for most people.

crimsonedge11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you know, back in the 60s, someone used to be able to work at a steel mill, and have a wife, and raise 5 kids on just their income. Both them and their wife could own new cars, and have a boat. It's impossible to do that now working any sort of comparable job. When the older generation looks down on younger people, it tells me that they don't grasp the reality of how much things have changed. Not everyone is cut out for high skilled/professional level of work, and jobs like working at steel mills need to pay livable wages, otherwise the economy is trash.

A lot of people who aren't cut for going to college and seeking professional work are forced to attempt to anyway, many/most will fail miserably at it, and back to working as cashiers at Walmart. With student load debt. Because education pays, apparently. The bar has been set too high for types of employment that pay livable wages.

Last edited by crimsonedge11,

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly homelessness but I work out of town a lot and I regularly sleep in my car in Walmart parking lots. In the morning I go in the bathroom and wash my hair in the sink with soap, brush my teeth & use deoderant, then change my shirt in the car and I'm good to go.

You mentioned that Millennials (which I'm one of) are a generation of renters, you're correct, which is why I invest my profits into rental complexes. I recently sold off a 4 unit property I have and I'm rolling the money into a much larger property.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
You could combine a crank-powered flashlight with an phone charger. I seen a video of someone doing that, however it probably would take a long time do get a decent percentage. Also i'd probably be trying to practice singing or something so that way I would go in the streets, sing and get donations.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why not just buy a house in a NON popular state or country. Buy a house in like Ohio or something, there's like nobody that wants to live there.
The trouble with some of those is not even the mighty delivery services available in this day and age don't like delivering 2 tonnes of industrial iron to my house in the woods, not to mention the trouble of just popping down to the shops when I break part of it (I live in a town of a few hundred thousand, I snap a more industrial grade machine tooling bit and I am ordering online where up north somewhere I could go down the road).
There might be no jobs for a given skillset, some might be able to telecommute (it matters little whether I send my code in from 6 time zones away or from the office of the company in some big city, harder to fix your car or build you a new house when I am far away).
There might be no support for my business - if I struggle to scrape together enough workers in a big city, or have support businesses there (trying to do everything is very hard, or maybe even something you only need from time to time, or is a bit below where you are at*) the nowhere, middle of, OH is not going to do much better. You see things like this where people want to create the next "silicon valley" and offer nice incentives to startups but neglect to have the other infrastructure in place.
*I can safely say I can set up a computer, however if I have 500 to install I am going to go to the computer shop, get a couple of the guys that know enough to plug in the right wires to the right place and let them go while I do something more important.

Not such a bother for me but many have friends, family and support networks somewhere near where they are at.
Not many bands, comedians or other types of similar live entertainment, be they big or smaller and specific, come to the middle of nowhere. You can still travel but the pain points change and while there are things I will go out of my way to see there might be a guy I liked on TV that I will happily go down the road for but taking a day out, with attendant costs, is a harder sell.
Similar story for hobbies -- not many mountains around here if I want to go mountain climbing or walking, some more the other side of the country. In your example Ohio is a landlocked place, give or take how you feel about lakes.

It may repeat again -- I am about two hours from London, 20 years ago there were a few that commuted, mostly high paid or specific skill people that might have lived in hotels. Today the commuter band is way past here (a couple of years back I found myself stuck on a train platform about 40 minutes the other way and was shoulder to shoulder with commuters, at about 4am) and many companies have very big satellite offices here. For some that might be a good thing as you could flog your house on with the presumed massive increase in value, however you have to do that right as everything else tends to creep up in price -- a couple of years back I was in Washington state, not far from where Microsoft and the like are headquartered and knocking about with the people doing city works. A few doing those jobs had inherited houses from parents or similar and the taxes the city was levelling to keep the microsoft peeps happy (most places just try to de-ice the main streets and have a park not filled with rubbish, these de-iced everything with a whole fleet and did proper gardening in the parks and roadsides) were somewhat higher than a county or two over (they in turn commuted to do shopping rather than staying some kind of local).

Some of those are perhaps a bit whiny for my taste, however it was not places are impossible to live in (in many places rent is somewhat lower than a mortgage payment) and here is how to sneak around that but something to consider as an alternative to that. Or if you prefer work to live, not live to work and a house in the suburbs with a couple of kids and a white fence is both my nightmare and certainly not the key to happiness for everybody.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1