Hacking VitaShell 1.60 Released, USB Mounting for PSTV!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

TheFloW has just released VitaShell 1.60! This update offers the ability for PSTV owners to mount USB drives as both a separate partition, and as the memory card itself!

You'll have to install the update manually, as the network update isn't working. You can grab the latest release here: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just gotten this installed, it's working like a charm. Games can be installed to the USB stick and they seem to play fine... My biggest complaint about the PSTV has miraculously vanished.

Reactions: MajinCubyan

Noizetank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has any anyone tried it in a slim yet?
I know theflow said it's for pstv.only but according to his Twitter it's because he doesn't own a slim. I haven't got an otg adapter to try it. I have had a 750 gb hd work gonna try my 2tb next lol

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
has any anyone tried it in a slim yet?
I know theflow said it's for pstv.only but according to his Twitter it's because he doesn't own a slim. I haven't got an otg adapter to try it. I have had a 750 gb hd work gonna try my 2tb next lol
It hasn't the hardware. It hasn't the correct driver on vita I think. Buy a pstv if you want to use a USB storage device.

Last edited by Columbo2811,

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It hasn't the hardware. There's no USB driver on vita. Buy a pstv if you want to use a USB storage device.
What do you mean there's no USB driver? I can mount the vita game card and memory as USB devices to PC, shouldn't be hard to do the same with USB HDD.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean there's no USB driver? I can mount the vita game card and memory as USB devices to PC, shouldn't be hard to do the same with USB HDD.
That's...not what he means. The PSTV has a driver in its own kernel for USB mass storage support, it's used for loading updates from a USB drive (and that's literally it, AFAIK). This hack reverses that (I think), so we can use USB drives as a memory card or mount it as a separate partition. The Slim Vita (and, by extension, the OLED Vita, but it uses a proprietary connector so whatever) doesn't have a USB driver in its kernel...because it doesn't have a USB port, like the PSTV does. Hooking up an OTG cable to the Vita Slim would do nothing, because there's no USB mass storage driver in the normal Vita's kernel.

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's...not what he means. The PSTV has a driver in its own kernel for USB mass storage support, it's used for loading updates from a USB drive (and that's literally it, AFAIK). This hack reverses that (I think), so we can use USB drives as a memory card or mount it as a separate partition. The Slim Vita (and, by extension, the OLED Vita, but it uses a proprietary connector so whatever) doesn't have a USB driver in its kernel...because it doesn't have a USB port, like the PSTV does. Hooking up an OTG cable to the Vita Slim would do nothing, because there's no USB mass storage driver in the normal Vita's kernel.
So hack it so it uses the PSTV kernel?

D

Deleted-379826

Awesome! This will totally be useful, now to Pirate fill that USB with all my digital downloads!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just one question. HOW THE HELL CAN WE DOWNLOAD GAMES NOW!? Last i check accessing Playstation store on vita isn't possible since is stuck on 3.60 firmware. So someone expecting me to use wireless mode on ps3 to transfer games from psn after downloading it with ps3? O_O

HU VUBY*IBHAYDYBYDVY :wtf:

Does ANYBODY KNOW how long that will take!? :blink:

D

Deleted-379826

I have just one question. HOW THE HELL CAN WE DOWNLOAD GAMES NOW!? Last i check accessing Playstation store on vita isn't possible since is stuck on 3.60 firmware. So someone expecting me to use wireless mode on ps3 to transfer games from psn after downloading it with ps3? O_O

HU VUBY*IBHAYDYBYDVY :wtf:

Does ANYBODY KNOW how long that will take!? :blink:
Playstation store? What's that? Did you mean that Mai dump torrent!

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted-379826

No, i meant Playstation store, the place where i bought all my discounted games for cheap with my playstation plus subscription. That store, not the vita black market. :P
Gotta give it to the store, they do get some pretty darn good deals at times!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol